Recording issues

• Hi there ,

After spending a lot of time and energy trying to remedy some tone issues I'm having with a newly acquired KPA head, I've purchased a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in order to record and share said tone issues. I should state up front that I consider myself fairly lacking when it comes to things with a technical nature. (So why buy a kemper, dummy...) I know, I know. :S I've finally crawled out of my analog cave, only to be tripped up with the first expensive piece of digital gear I've owned. Anyway, after following the instructions on the focusrite box and downloading protools first, and necessary driver. I am unable to open protools with my computer (windows 7). I tried downloading Audacity , which is a free DAW, and can open that, but get no audio with everything hooked up. This is the issue I could use help with. I need to solve the recording problem in order to fix the big issue. Don't be afraid to "dumb it down" for me, as I said I'm not very computer savvy. Thanks in advance .

• Thanks but his issue is a little different . He could get sound from computer moniters but not directly from Scarlett I believe. Where if I plug headphones or moniter to 2i2 I have sound, but it's not getting to computer.

• I dont know your software versions, so just look around YouTube of Google if these are slightly off. There is a TON of learning to do with your setup which isn't the easiest stuff. IF you were going Clarett into Logic Pro X you'd be up in 5 minutes. But Scarlett has a confusing software mixer you need to learn and tame. And Pro Tools is a bear compared to many other DAWS in terms of proper setup. So, invest time in some tutorials and... take notes, keep them organized in headings (like: Setup Interface, Tracking Tips, Plugin Templates, MixControl Templates, Kemper OUTPUT Settings, etc)

• PRO TOOLS -> SETUP -> 2i2 You need to first learn how to set-up Pro Tools to accept input/output from your Scarlett 2i2:
      • Pro Tools setup to Focusrite Interface: https://support.focusrite.com/…your-Focusrite-interface-
      • Video Pro Tools 12 to Scarlett 2i2:
        External Content www.youtube.com
        Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
        Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    • SCARLET 2i2 MIXCONTROL Software: You need to get a handle on the Scarlett's "Mixcontrol" software that sits between your hardware and DAW. This is the "bear" part of setup. The newer Clarett software is MUCH better if you ever want to upgrade.
      External Content www.youtube.com
      Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
      Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    • KEMPER: When you hook up the Kemper, make sure your MASTER in OUTPUT is set to something like -12dB or else you'll overload the input.
    • GAIN STAGING: At that step, gain staging is key. So Keep your DAW track lever (when armed) to 0dB, keep your gain lever in MixControl for Scarlett 0 gain on it's meters. Now check the levels in your DAW for whatever you are going to record and play. Whether vocals, or guitar, you want the track VU in Pro Tools to peak around -12dB to -18dB
    • HEADPHONES/SPEAKERS: Use audio interface volume control to make up the level you want to hear at in headphones or your speakers. NOT your input/output volume in Mixcontrol; NOT the levers on tracks or master track in your DAW,

Why keeping signals low is the best for digital:
    This may seem too low a sound, but it's not. You will be able to bring the volume up later on mixing, and if not, make it up in the mastering process. Too hot a signal early will digitally clip and sound awful. Tracks that are too hot (above -12dB) will add up together and start sounding VERY loud (and muddy) fast and easily push the master VU above 0dB, and may also overload any plugins you use in the chain (and can sound awful, especially if they have any gain). So keep volumes low, mix low, and bring the volume up in your headphones of your Audio Interface only, not the DAW. This will keep a smooth nice sounding signal all the way through until you are ready to finish with Mastering.

I know that's a ton of shit. Best of luck. My advice would be to get the Clarett when you can to simplify that software-in-the-middle between hardware and DAW. IF you are set on Pro Tools, it's a learning curve. It's still a bit archaic compared to other DAWs, but once you know it you're set. Just take notes. You will forget more than you learn if you don't do this all the time! Organize your notes well.

Edited 3 times, last by db9091 ().

• Hi Ragnarok,

Sorry to hear that you're having some problems getting audio into/out of the computer with your 2i2.

db's post is very helpful though I should just point out that the 2i2 doesn't have a software mixer (Scarlett Mix Control/Focusrite Control) as that's only used for the bigger Scarletts in the range (the 6i6, 18i8 and 18i20).

There are many potential configuration issues you might be coming up against if you're not getting audio in such a setup - if you're still having problems please get in touch with us directly and we'll do all we can get you up and running: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best regards,
    Jack // Focusrite Technical Support

• I like us having our own focusrite mascot tech supporter right here in the forums! :)