Yamaha DXR10 vs Atomic CLR (FRFR comparison)

• I've read a bit about these monitors on this forum.

General opinion I've seen is:

The Yamaha is the better of them
    Atomic CLR sounds boomy

But this video sounds, in my opinion, the complete opposite?!
    The Atomic seems to have a better mid than the Yamaha.
    Sounds more "guitar like" or something.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

EDIT: this is not my video

• The consensus I've seen is that the CLR is ideal and the DXR comes closest, though at a fraction of the cost and weight which is why more seem to opt for it.

• Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison @Cederick.
    Listening on Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans I preferred DXR10.
    It is not boomy for me, it has more "body" whereas Atomic CLR so unded kind middy (because less "boomy").
    But I am not sure what I would choose sitting in your room.... and how would it work for less saturated profiles (neck single coil, hairy overdrive..)
    Once again, thanks for this demo!

• General opinion I've seen is:

The Yamaha is the better of them
    Atomic CLR sounds boomy

How did you reach this conclusion? My impression from this forum is that the CLR gnerally is considered to be THE benchmark among active FRFR-speakers for guitar-sims. I personally don't consider it as supreme as some of its fanbois claim, but it is certainly an excellent speaker.

This video btw demonstrate that the speakers sound different, but are of little value to a listener who don't know exactly what sound the producer/player was after. You could dial in a sound on the KPA that would sound perfect through either of these speakers, while the other speaker would be sub-optimal at the same settings. The key to success is how the sound of each of these speakers relate to how the guitar sounds through the FOH-rig.

• Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison @Cederick.
    Listening on Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans I preferred DXR10.
    It is not boomy for me, it has more "body" whereas Atomic CLR so unded kind middy (because less "boomy").
    But I am not sure what I would choose sitting in your room.... and how would it work for less saturated profiles (neck single coil, hairy overdrive..)
    Once again, thanks for this demo!

Hahaha no its not my comparison, I dont have any of these, I found the video on youtube :D

• How did you reach this conclusion? My impression from this forum is that the CLR gnerally is considered to be THE benchmark among active FRFR-speakers for guitar-sims. I personally don't consider it as supreme as some of its fanbois claim, but it is certainly an excellent speaker.
    This video btw demonstrate that the speakers sound different, but are of little value to a listener who don't know exactly what sound the producer/player was after. You could dial in a sound on the KPA that would sound perfect through either of these speakers, while the other speaker would be sub-optimal at the same settings. The key to success is how the sound of each of these speakers relate to how the guitar sounds through theFOH-rig.

I will look it up, wait a sec!
    HEre's a guy complaining about how boomy it is
    Atomic CLR - Not all it's cracked up to be?

So maybe it wasn't "general opinion" :D
    It was pretty late when I did research and I had to go to sleep so I guess I rushed my research... X/

By the way here's another video by Ingolf which shows the same differences as video in first post:

Yamaha is scooped, and the CLR is more middy

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The Alto seems like a good "bang for the buck" solution for me.

I'm not the most wealthy guy so I might as well go with the Alto.

This comparison is interesting!

• I already have a Yamaha DX10 and I'm not opposed to picking up another such speaker like the CLR, however every time I start to do research it seems like nothing is really going to make that much of a improvement. Case in point this thread

• I have both the CLR and the DXR10.

Gigged through the CLR for 3+ years....sounded great.

Got a good deal on a DXR10 and I now gig with that. The CLR stays in the rehearsal room.

I prefer the sound of the CLR but the DXR10 is much easier to cart around and it comes pretty close (IMHO)

• There are a few people who have used the Alto TS210 and Alto TS212 with a lot of nice things to say about them. I've talked to the sales manager at Alto who told me the TS212 was tuned by an Academy-Award winning audio engineer who previously worked for JBL.

• Main difference for me is that the tone changes on the DXR10 going from bedroom volumes to live levels. At low levels, it's very boomy to me and it lessens as you raise the volume, but I always needed to dial out some bass going from my studio monitors or headphones to the DXR10. The CLR sounds the same at all levels and I don't have to touch a thing going from my studio monitors. Of course, you will always have to adjust for the room, but at least the CLR takes out one factor from the equation. But, with all that said, if I hadn't gotten in on the Atomic holiday sale (CLR Neo MkII @ $999), I'd still be playing the Yamaha.

• In all those vids up there, the CLR sounds the most accurate reproduction, while the Yamaha and Alto seem to not be as flat. And, ime, my CLR remains the same at any volume. But, allowing for those things, the Alto and Yamaha are cheaper. The other thing I will say, is the CLR is built to take a serious licking. It is built tough. FWIW, I run Kemper to Matrix GT800FX to passive CLR. And I got my passive CLR, and Matrix used for about what a new powered CLR costs. So, kind of a great bang for buck.

• You could also look used for a DXR10.

Depends on budget. DXR's used are around $400 maybe, if you can find them cheap. New Alto's hover around $300.