What Is Your Favorite Passive PA Speaker for powered KPA?

• I second (or third) the Gemini. I have a 1-P with a PowerHead and it's great.

What I particularly like about it is that's it's not a PA speaker, which just doesn't make me feel like I'm playing through a cab. It's full FRFR but the tweeter is in the middle of the whoofer so it disperses very evenly and can be mic'ed if you want.

Another plus is it behaves like a real cab, especially in regards to organic feedback. Plus, having dealt with the guys at Mission Engineering, they are top notch in knowledge and service.

It's not totally light, though. My Gemini weighs about 50-60lbs. The lightest stuff you'll ever find are the Matrix FR10's and FR12's.

• What I particularly like about it is that's it's not a PA speaker, which just doesn't make me feel like I'm playing through a cab. It's full FRFR but the tweeter is in the middle of the whoofer so it disperses very evenly and can be mic'ed if you want.

So do you run it with monitor cab off? Also, Do you use any global eq on it?

P.s. if it's mic'd do you select monitor cab off?

I'm assuming no because it's frfr but, I've heard of using neodymium speakers in cabs like these and there's an option to turn monitor cab off

• So do you run it with monitor cab off? Also, Do you use any global eq on it?
    P.s. if it's mic'd do you select monitor cab off?

I'm assuming no because it's frfr but, I've heard of using neodymium speakers in cabs like these and there's an option to turn monitor cab off

I'm not super techy so I haven't changed any settings since I got my Kemper. I just load the profiles I like and play. Since it's FRFR, you'll need to keep the cab sims on.

The neo speakers are traditional cabs, but the Mission KM212-P (designed for the Powered Kemper) and Matrix NL12's have an extended frequency response that can be used with or without the cab sims. I previously had a pair of NL12's and they were incredible. I definitely regret selling them. They sound damn near full range and I liked some profiles with the cab sims on, some with the cab sims off.

• Thanks for helpful insight! I'll keep it in mind.

I've been looking at the mission 2x12, wish I could give it a test run but I trust it'll be at least on level.

New idea: 4x12 cab with a mix of traditional and neodymium drivers , cab Sim on or off depending on profiles.

Chairs!!!

• @ashtweth has a Gemini 2 which he endorses highly. They are upwards of 60lbs, though, so not super light if that's what you're after.

Talking to the Mission guys, they are working on some ideas for lessening the weight, but they're a small company so these things take time.

The KM212-P is an oversized 2x12 in an undersized 4x12 shell.

Accugroove also makes a 4x12 shell that is full passive FRFR with a 15", 12" and 6" speaker, but it's super pricey.

• Of course light weight that's inexpensive that sounds perfect is stretching it. I'm OK with the idea of having to pay a bit more.

My jbl was good and inexpensive but I blew it up so I don't want to repeat that.

I have a 4x12 splawn with v30's but I really like a frfr. Ideally I'd like to have both but would need another power amp

• The Matrix FR10's and FR12's come non-powered or powered (with class AB power, no less) and weigh nothing. Their pricepoint isn't bad comparatively, either. I'll definitely be trying them at some point.

I also see on your profile that you're in San Diego (I'm in LA), and that's nice because Matrix is located in the LA area and they have a showroom where you can go and try their stuff out. We could also arrange a time if you wanted to check out my PowerHead and Gemini 1-P.

• Thanks Man @MementoMori I am getting my second Gemini 2 x12 soon for my second Kemper
    I want a 4X12 sound (which is going to be 2 Gemini's) and 2 amp sounds. (2 kempers)

I did not know about the AccuGrove....going to check that out.
    To me 4X12 is THE best sound for the kemper. Especially for the room at home :D
    IF YOU CAN CARRY A CARTON OF BEER YOU CAN CARRY THE GEMINI 2 :P:rolleyes::thumbup:

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Does any know anyone who has actually played through the KM-212? I'm wondering what "optimized for Kemper " means in a real world setting.

Well, they designed it for the PowerHead with the PowerHead (and rack). Talking with Paul Shedden at Mission while at NAMM, they were quite disappointed in the Kemper power and find it really flat and undynamic. My assumption is because Kemper made the powered version:

• To satisfy guitarists appeal to not carry another power amp (convenience)
    • To make a very flat and linear amp to not re-color a profile

I've heard from a number of amp/speaker manufacturers that the Kemper power amp is "blah". Even Andy at Matrix told me prior that he didn't like selling his stuff to people with a powered Kemper, that he just had too many problems with it. He didn't elaborate much further, but it's a recurring theme I've come across.

So, speaking with Paul at NAMM about the KM212-P, he said they really worked long and hard to make it sound the best they could. He obviously prefers his own power due to the body and dynamics it helps produce. I assume "optimized" means they tried to translate a more typical, dynamic sound like how a cab would react while trying not to re-color everything, and tried to do so within the limits of a Kemper PowerHead.

• Thanks for the detailed and knowledgeable response. I have the power head version. It seems I may have paid a premium for convenience at the expense of tone. I wonder if this is why I'm not seeing many MI Gemini 2P's out there?

• Well thats fixed my problem on how to decide what to get for my my second kemper, i was thinking of getting a powerhead
    thanks for that, ill get the un powered.

I still think the Gemini 2's are perfect any way and you cant use with a powerhead
    i mean you get a Bluetooth STEREO speaker too dont forget.
    4X12 Stereo Stereo

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• I got the PowerHead for the convenience, along with a Gemini 1-P. Haven't tried out the powered solutions yet, but this honestly works just fine for me. Maybe if I had something to compare it to, I might not think it's even close.

My thinking (which I knew all of these complaints about the Kemper power prior) was that I can always use the Kemper as a preamp with a powered speaker down the road, or direct into the board. At least the powered version gives me the flexibility that if I ever play out in a shitty venue where I'm forced to use a passive cab, I at least have the power option. Before settling on the PowerHead I had rigorously researched every option from powered speakers to external power amps, cost, reviews, recommendations, etc. In the end I got so exhausted with it that I just figured I'd be happier with an all-in-one, fail safe solution. I honestly have no regrets.

The reason you don't see passive Gemini's out there is the overhead for them is so small that no dealer has been willing to stock them. Before buying I wanted to try out the powered Gemini, passive Gemini, and KM212-P at one of their distributors, but nobody stocked any in the LA area. Paul told me they'd make no money on the passive and the KM212-P is currently exclusive to Sweetwater for 6 or 9 months. You can only get the passive Gemini's direct through Mission. The guys are super easy to deal with and it's endeared me enough that I'll be doing more business with them down the road, especially trying the KM212-P. I also advised him at NAMM to make some video demonstrations because you can't find anything about it online. Their disadvantage is being a small company where marketing is an uphill climb. I work for Hosa (which includes Zaolla) and we have talked to them about doing some cross promotional stuff, so perhaps I can get my hands on one and do some online demos sooner than later. Who knows.

Another thing to note is that Mission has talked (and who knows if anything came of it) to Kemper about taking on the KM212-P as an OEM. The only difference would be changing out the Mission logo for Kemper. Who knows if that would ever become a thing, but Kemper obviously thought enough of it to even have that conversation.

• I also see on your profile that you're in San Diego (I'm in LA), and that's nice because Matrix is located in the LA area and they have a showroom where you can go and try their stuff out. We could also arrange a time if you wanted to check out my PowerHead and Gemini 1-P.

Thank you, that's really rad of you, I'll hit you up when I get back in 7 months to a year LOL. I'm in Nashville right now but I'll be back when school is over. I'm going to Musicians Institute of Guitar Building Academy and the courses are 2-3 quarter semesters depending on if I take the additional acoustic building course. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna take it but probably will.

• Thank you, that's really rad of you, I'll hit you up when I get back in 7 months to a year LOL. I'm in Nashville right now but I'll be back when school is over. I'm going to Musicians Institute of Guitar Building Academy and the courses are 2-3 quarter semesters depending on if I take the additional acoustic building course. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna take it but probably will.

Damn! I don't know what life will bring 7 months from now, whether I'll still be living here, still have the Gemini, or still even use a Kemper hahaha. I went to Musician's Institute a number of years back, but did GIT. Either way, feel free to hit me up if and when you get back.

• I started with a Matrix gt800fx and a passive Atomic CLR. Changed out the gt800fx for a gt1000fx, but have found no reason to have anything but that CLR. In fact, want to find another passive CLR to go stereo.

• Yeah thats one of the main reasons why i endorse the Gemini 2 ...ITS A STEREO FRFR.
    So what Ash? WELL...try playing stereo effects at home, you write more music... TONE does that
    you know i am not BSing about that.

To me the kemper has those features and STEREO is a highlight of it,
    Rigs sound better, effects sound better, not just the ping pong blah blah.
    to me why buy a kemper and not run it in Stereo.

Why go out with a girlfriend with big boboies and not enjoy her boboies?
    Hope you get another Wedge man, try the new delays with Stereo ;)

Ash