How to enhance Kemper dynamics using internal Studio EQ -- comparison and explanation

• nice chops and nice tip! If I could play like you with these tip I only need like 3 profiles... (plus morphing and the new crystal delays of course)

Cheers :) I used to use a single channel amp for years till it exploded. Kemper dynamics get very close to the real amps, if only falling short by a small margin (my issue with kemper is different; documented it elsewhere in detail).

I often combine these three things: use a mid gain kemper profile. Have external boost pedal (maxon 808X). And if the profile doesn't quite clean up well enough I may have the EQ on too while also disengaging the pedal. Cutting off some sustain can be an issue, but you can minimize that with right settings.

You get quite an extreme range from cleans to gain that way. Of course one may want to just switch to a version of profile with lower gain; up to the individual. I like the feeling of not needing to do much other than play :)

• Cheerios people,

Btw was anyone able to read the fonts in the video?

I don't know how it escaped me and I used such difficult to read fonts.

I switched to a more simple one for new videos. Hopefully better!

Thanks

• Hey @Dimi84 I'd like to know if this trick is possible for reducing the unwanted noise of the fingers sliding on the strings when heavy saturation is on, if the slides could correspond to a soft attack. I tried by myself but did not achieve something really good, if you could recommend some settings that would be lovely.
    Cheers

• Hey @Dimi84 I'd like to know if this trick is possible for reducing the unwanted noise of the fingers sliding on the strings when heavy saturation is on, if the slides could correspond to a soft attack. I tried by myself but did not achieve something really good, if you could recommend some settings that would be lovely.
    Cheers

Can you clarify a bit on what you mean by this noise? I will look this up with KPA tomorrow. Cheerios

• sorry if I'm not clear that not easy to explain in English. When playing some lines where I need to quickly change positions, I let my fingers slide on the strings (left hand) which creates an unwanted noise in between notes. This is not with every profile but with some bright saturated ones it does generate such noise. do you see what I mean?

I'm just thinking that if ducking paremeter could catch this noise as a low/soft attack and studio EQ is set up to lowest level at these frequencies, I could get rid of that noise while for the rest of my play studio EQ won't interfere

I hope I'm clear enough. otherwise don't bother with it.
    cheers

• sorry if I'm not clear that not easy to explain in English. When playing some lines where I need to quickly change positions, I let my fingers slide on the strings (left hand) which creates an unwanted noise in between notes. This is not with every profile but with some bright saturated ones it does generate such noise. do you see what I mean?

I'm just thinking that if ducking paremeter could catch this noise as a low/soft attack and studio EQ is set up to lowest level at these frequencies, I could get rid of that noise while for the rest of my play studio EQ won't interfere

I hope I'm clear enough. otherwise don't bother with it.
    cheers

I tried it this morning but wasn't able to get a good result out of it -- didn't have much time to try though. If you want to eliminate noise between positions I think a noise gate that shuts on and off quickly would perhaps be a better solution (like the 4:1) in kemper). I use a TC electronic sentry which also gives you all kinds of frequency specific options when connected to pc.

• @pamplemousse 8:40

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Kemper 4:1 noise gate is also great for that. Actually kemper has done an amazing job with the noise gates.

It's just that they don't have parameters to fine tune things.

But 4:1 at high settings and you can eliminate much of the "string slide noise".

Of course, then rolling down volume knob will not have the same effect as normal. Your sound will die off earlier than volume pot at 0.

• This is with the 4:1 noise gate of Kemper. First off, you hear slides noise. Then off you don't hear too much. Then I play a bit of lead with noise gate on still so you hear how it cuts off noise when I stop. Then it's some power chord while sliding (you don't hear the sliding). You loose the whole "turn down volume knob of guitar for dynamics thing, as well some light picking stuff (depending on how much you want to eliminate the string slide noise). This is a profile with the gain maxed out btw.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• Could I say without trying to offend at all, it's sounds like a technique issue and High noise gates will really not sound good. As said already, notes will not sustain and die away very unnaturally.

As this post was about better dynamics, you're kind of talking about removing any.

Try less gain, generally better in band situation and in a mix anyway.

Just suggestions, of course it's your sound and you should do whatever works for you!

• Yes, so therefore about 'better' dynamics. Not really sure that post added anything ther @DonPetersen. My point is still valid;)

more doesn't automatically mean better.
    The Profiler is perfectly capable to authentically react to picking hand dynamics without tricks like this.

If you guys want to use the ducking parameters in the EQ etc. - that's great, that's why we put them there.
    they are however not needed to create a dynamically responsive profile, that's all.

• more doesn't automatically mean better.The Profiler is perfectly capable to authentically react to picking hand dynamics without tricks like this.

If you guys want to use the ducking parameters in the EQ etc. - that's great, that's why we put them there.
    they are however not needed to create a dynamically responsive profile, that's all.

@Netheravon doesn't mean "better" as in "more must automatically mean better" -- seems he uses the word to me mean "more", hence the quotation marks. Not that "some more" dynamics is not something most of us generally want.

Kemper will try to get close to the amp's dynamics. Ok.

But some times it may be desirable to have more than that. There are plenty of profiles that do great tones but aren't that great in terms of cleaning up with volume knob. In these cases this can help out. Not every amp is as dynamic as you may want to begin with, let alone a profile of that amp.

I do agree that "dynamics" can be a bad thing from some point on -- for most uses at least. But used right this trick just gives you a bit more, which can take a profile that doesn't quite clean up with your guitar's volume knob down to a clear, less distorted tone while sustaining metal-on volume-full tone.