Does the Kemper sound different .....

• It’s going to depend on the frfr and your monitors tbh John. I know you know your stuff as I’ve watched your clips etc.

A good studio monitor is meant to be pretty flat and full range anyway. I think the general answer would be - they should sound very similar or totally different depending on the speaker and volume played at.

Not really an answer I know, but I think as close to the truth as I can get you :S

• It’s going to depend on the frfr and your monitors tbh John. I know you know your stuff as I’ve watched your clips etc.

A good studio monitor is meant to be pretty flat and full range anyway. I think the general answer would be - they should sound very similar or totally different depending on the speaker and volume played at.

Not really an answer I know, but I think as close to the truth as I can get you :S

thanks for the quick response. I’m using Yamaha monitors at the moment and to my ears they have a mid push.

I guess I don’t need FRFR then. I only play at home no live stuff I was Curious more than anything else.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

2 x Folreden Relic Strats - Folreden Les Paul - Kemper Stage - Cubase Pro13 - Suhr Classic S

• I have(since almost 17 years) a pair of "brutally honest" and somewhat "sterile" tannoy sys-800(in the meanwhile during the last 3-4 years my ears get very fast "tired" by these monitors) and whatever I tweak on these monitors fits and translates in a great way into whatever FRFR-stage monitors I have used till this day.

As @Neverathon has said..

• Hi John,

I use rokit rp6 g3 monitors for tweaking rigs at home. For live playing I use the rcf 10"sma frfr as a monitor.
    For me the difference is I have to reduce the bass a little because when I push the volume of the frfr this beast have really power. Output monitor eq solve this perfectly.

Cheers
    Frank

• I have a couple of ADAM A7 studio monitors that I love mixing on. The KPA sounds good on them but I much prefer playing through my DXR10, more amp-in-the room feeling then the ADAMs.

• The fallacy of FRFR is the idea that they give you a transparent signal. If that were the case all FRFR would sound the same. Each solution will have different frequencies or characteristics that they exaggerate or undercut.

• The trick is to find profiles that work well with the monitors/speakers you'll be using. I have some profiles that sound great with my K10s, but not quite as good through my studio monitors, and vise-versa.

• I struggled with the "should I go FRFR" question for a long time. I really wanted to try the MBritt cabinet from XiTone...but, I also (only playing in my office/bedroom) didn't want to spend that much money! So, I decided to go with a Yamaha DXR10 from MF (so, I could return it if I didn't like it) and I am glad that I did...I waited and used one of MF's many coupons to get about 15% off...and, at the same time there was a $50 rebate.

I am very pleased with the outcome...as stated above, the DXR10 gives me more of that amp in the room feel, even at low volumes and with an XLR cable for connection, it is dead silent (it hissed a bit with a regular guitar or speaker cable). I also have some Genlec studio monitors that I can play the Kemper through, and while they sound good, they also sound more lightweight. The DXR10 has more body.

The hardest adjustment for me was the "look" of the ensemble...I got a Quicklok dual amp stand that holds both the DXR10 and the Kemper Head. That helped a bit...but, I wish someone would make an FRFR that looked like a traditional cabinet, and didn't cost $1K...lol.

• John, if you're happy with the tones from your monitors I don't see a need for FRFR. I sold my cabs simply because I didn't like what I heard coming through so I switched to DXR10's. (bought one but then it looked weird so I had to get another lol). They are great but a bit much for living room scenes. Besides, you could use the cash for more Foldren guitars or plug-ins :thumbup:

Cheers,

Shawn

• John, if you're happy with the tones from your monitors I don't see a need for FRFR. I sold my cabs simply because I didn't like what I heard coming through so I switched to DXR10's. (bought one but then it looked weird so I had to get another lol). They are great but a bit much for living room scenes. Besides, you could use the cash for more Foldren guitars or plug-ins :thumbup:

Cheers,

Shawn

Bah-I have my K10s in the living room right now, on either side of the TV. :thumbup:

• Hi guys

After reading all the post I have decided to stick with my studio monitors.

@Shawn another Folreden,sounds like a great idea.

Cheers guys

John

2 x Folreden Relic Strats - Folreden Les Paul - Kemper Stage - Cubase Pro13 - Suhr Classic S

• Good decision John, thinking a tele or jm design this time? :thumbup:

Bas @ Folreden has said they are thinking of adding a new classic model to there range. He did say what it was but not sure if I should say on line

If it’s as goood as the strats it’s gonna be killer and I be ordering one for sure.

• I just thought about that and wondered if I can get away with it :/ I'm sort of tired of walking downstairs into my man's cave but I have a feeling this would have a distributive effect on the domestic harmony so I won't even contemplate it. :D

I'm divorced so I can do whatever I want (and I do!), but even when I was married my ex-wife had no problem with gear in the living room. She knew what she was getting into when she hooked up with me.

My ex-girlfriend, on the other hand, had issues with gear in my living room (even though she didn't live with me) and objected to my buying gear (even though we had no ties financially). Ultimately it was a deal breaker, and down the road she went.