[Beginner] Connect Kemper to PC with Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2i2

• Hello,

first i want to say: i am a total beginner - so apologies in advance if this question annoyes anyone because its so simple maybe.

just bought my kemper, got a focusrite scarlett solo 2i2 interface and a windows computer with ableton live.

i want to connect the kemper to the pc and hear both - pc and kemper - with the same headphones.

Any help on how to connect the devices would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

[Blocked Image: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41HBQZq7zgL.jpg]

• Use main stereo outputs of Kemper into the inputs on the front of 2i2. Make sure you select line for each input. In Ableton, you have to select both inputs of the 2i2 as your source and enable live monitoring of the incoming signal. Then monitor the Kemper+PC via headphone output from the 2i2.

• Thanks for your reply!

Is it also possible to use the mono monitor output from the kemper and only go to focusrite input #2?

This is because i use a mic on focusrite input #1.

I dont need the guitar to be stereo right now.

Then monitor the Kemper+PC via headphone output from the 2i2.

Can you explain this last part a little further?

From headphone output on the front of the focusrite i only hear the kemper, but not the pc?

Thanks again!

• You have to use the focusrite routing software to assign the master output of ableton to the headphone out of the 2i2.

Watch this video for more...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Must be because it has only two ins and outs. Here's a video that shows you how to set up the interface with Abelton. Once the inputs 1+2 are assigned as inputs in Abelton then you should be able to record the Kemper. The outputs must be also selected for Abelton so that anything passing through the master out channels on Abelton are passed directly to the 2i2 outputs. The headphone will also receive this signal too. That should get you set up to hear the Kemper and any other audio file you have playing in your DAW.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for your help!

I have connected everything like this:

1. Guitar to Kemper Input.

2. Focusrite to PC USB

3. Kemper Monitor Out to Focusrite Input 2

4. Rode Mic to Focusrite Input 1

5. Headphones to Focusright Monitor

Windows Settings, Standarddevice for both outputdevices/inputdevices:

Focusrite USB

Ableton Settings:

I can even SEE the Audiotrack (the waves) when i hit record.

But I cant hear anything in my headphones.

The crazy thing is, that it worked yesterday. I heard the windows sounds (youtube, spotify etc.) and my guitar as well as every effect the kemper does. The only thing that did not work yesterday was ableton.
    Today nothing works and I did not change anything.
    I just came home from work.

Any further help or idea would be much appreciated!

• I have absolutly no idea why, but it works now.

I simply restarted everything.
    From headphones to Interface and PC...

BUT I hear a really huge "buzzing" when i have a rig activ with mid to high gain.

Is this normal? A few days ago on my first rehearsal with the kemper there was no such noise in our PA

Edit:
    The buzz changes its pitch when i scroll the mouse wheel for example

• Thanks for your friendly help guys!

Are you using an XLR cable to connect to the interface as this is a known issue with the 2i2, (activates the mic-pre).

Try a different guitar cable! Or, you may be getting EMF from something in your place ie: fluorescent lights etc...

Are you using a noise gate?

My Microphone (Rode NT1A) is connected to the interface input1 with XLR and 48V.
    I will check this this and unplug the mic this evening, thanks for the tip!
    Input2 is my guitar from kemper monitor out straight into the Focusrite with 1/4inch cable.
    I am not using a noise gate.

I don’t use Ableton so can’t really help with specifics but I notice thst Monito is set to Off in the Audio channel of your forst picture. I use Logix and would need monitoring on to hear the guitar.

As for the buzz, have you checked the Ground lift switch on the monitor out in case you bumped it?

Monitor is turned off only on Input 1, which is my Mic.

The Ground Lift Switch did not help at all. There was absolutely no improvement after i tried this unfortunately.

At least the recording works now.

I assume the buzz is really a EMF problem. I will have to unplug anything step by step to find the troublemaker i guess.

Another short question:
    In our rehearsal room there is an active monitor box laying around, i dont know the exact model right now but its an active FRFR.

I have the Kemper Powerhead.
    Can i connect the active monitor to the (unpowered) "monitor out" from the kemper in a live situation?

• Monitor off - ah, that makes sense.

With regard to the noise gate - even thou you aren’t using a noise gat stomp, have you check the global gate settings justin case?

EMF buzz - unfortunately that’s often a tough one to deal with - good luck. As you say the only thing to do is unplug everything and systematically reintroduce elements until you find the culprit.

Rehearsal studio FRFR - yes you can use the monitor out into an active FRFR. Just make sure you DON’T use the KPA speaker out. When using the FRFR also untick the disable cab on monitor out button and you’re good to go.

• With regard to the noise gate - even thou you aren’t using a noise gat stomp, have you check the global gate settings justin case?

I think i need a little help here, where exactly do i check this?

When using the FRFR also untick the disable cab on monitor out button and you’re good to go.

And here again, i just want to make sure, that i do not destroy anything: Can you tell me where exactly i must untick this option?

thanks in advance!

Edit:
    The buzz goes away, when i unplug the guitar from the interface.

It gets heavier when i set the guitar channel to "ready to record"

• The global noise gate is the big knob on the top left of the KPA. It is part of the input section so can be locked for all rigs or left unlock and saved on a per rig basis. There are also two other noise gate types in the effects section than can be inserted in Stomp A -D slots or in the X, Mod or Delay slots.

For the FRFR speaker you don’t have anything to worry about. You won’t breake anything and probably have it set correctly already as you are using the monitor out for recording. In the Output menu (press and hold Output button) here is an option to disable the cab section of the profile but only for the Monitor Output. If you tick this you get a signal without cab simulation which can be used with a traditional guitar cab while still sending the full profile to the Main Outs. All I was trying to say (I just re read it and it was baddly worded though) was to make sure you don’t have this option enabled or you will gat a very bright fizzy sound. It shouldn’t harm any equpbut would be pleasant for your ears.

It might be helpful to hear a recording of the buzz. Does it only go away when you unplud the guitar or also when you turn the guitar volume off? First one suggests an earth problem or a cable with bad shielding. Second one would confirm an issue with the guitar ( possible just the pickups getting EMF interference or possibly a bad ground in the guitar itself.) the reason it gets worse when you hit record might be the you have the DAW set to monitor only when recording and you are therefore getting both the direct buzz and the buzz going through the DAw being combined. I don’t know Ableton so can’t really comment.

• Sounds like a pickup/wiring/cable issue, man!?

For whatever reason - my Interface Output was connected to "Line In" on my computers soundcard.

I cannot remember having this wired like that.

After unplugging that, the buzz was gone.

Excuse the mess...

The global noise gate is the big knob on the top left of the KPA. It is part of the input section so can be locked for all rigs or left unlock and saved on a per rig basis. There are also two other noise gate types in the effects section than can be inserted in Stomp A -D slots or in the X, Mod or Delay slots.

For the FRFR speaker you don’t have anything to worry about. You won’t breake anything and probably have it set correctly already as you are using the monitor out for recording. In the Output menu (press and hold Output button) here is an option to disable the cab section of the profile but only for the Monitor Output. If you tick this you get a signal without cab simulation which can be used with a traditional guitar cab while still sending the full profile to the Main Outs. All I was trying to say (I just re read it and it was baddly worded though) was to make sure you don’t have this option enabled or you will gat a very bright fizzy sound. It shouldn’t harm any equpbut would be pleasant for your ears.

It might be helpful to hear a recording of the buzz. Does it only go away when you unplud the guitar or also when you turn the guitar volume off? First one suggests an earth problem or a cable with bad shielding. Second one would confirm an issue with the guitar ( possible just the pickups getting EMF interference or possibly a bad ground in the guitar itself.) the reason it gets worse when you hit record might be the you have the DAW set to monitor only when recording and you are therefore getting both the direct buzz and the buzz going through the DAw being combined. I don’t know Ableton so can’t really comment.

thank you so much for your help! it really helped a lot!

i guess, i still have to learn a lot about that little toaster.