Way of enabling Looper mode with just an AB switch

• Hi, I bought an AB switch for my Kemper, with the idea to use it with the Looper feature. However you can't use looper mode without a Kemper Remote or a Midi controller. Could the Kemper Devs come up with a way of starting looper mode from the front panel, somehow ? I can't justify buying a Kemper Remote just for looper mode, and I would have no other use for it really. Thanks for listening to my idea. Cheers, Baxter

• I’ve been meaning to try this myself. Although I do have a remote (anyd love it!) I find myself wanting to enter secord a loop then change sound to play pver it in a live set up. When I want to stop the loop though I need to press the FS to re enter looper mode then hit the stop button, then switch back to normal operating mode. Sometimes things go wrong live and you need the ability to stop the loop instantly. Having an external FS assigned to stop/star the looper would be a life saver in these situations.

• Have you tried and where did you search?

From ReadMe 4.0.1:

added: function Looper Button 1 (Record/Playback/Overdub) and 2 (Stop) as well as Morph Button can be assigned to external switches and Remote’s TAP, TUNER, LOOPER.

• Burkhard sorry, my apologies.

I did try this about a year ago when I got my Kemper and couldn't get it to work. I don't know if that was user error at the time (complete beginner even though I had read the mannual cover to cover several times by then and have read it many more times since then) or if it was before the update.

I have just tried again and I can see that it should work as you highlighted. However, although the start function is working from my external pedal, the stop function isn't working properly. In fact even when I change the Remote to Looper Mode the stop button doesn't work. I have to hit record again from the remote to start overdubbing then stop with the remote's stop button.

I have just updated to the latest Beta this evening so maybe it is a bug in the new beta?

• I cannot detect any issues with the Looper under 5.7.5. Both buttons work on the Remote. I also find no issues with external buttons, BUT you need to select the appropriate polarity for those buttons in the menu. The control of the Looper requires, that the PROFILER senses correctly when a button is hit and when it is released. Wrong polarity turns this logic around. The PROFILER thinks the button is released when it is actually hit, it is hit when it is actually released and it is hold while it is actually idle. Garbage in garbage out.

The looper has been designed for the Remote, which offers six buttons with specific looper functionality plus a specific looper screen plus LEDs to indicate the status of the looper. We added these basic functions for external buttons based on user request. Users need to decide if this is useful for them.

• Thanks Burkhard. I’ll check that today. That sounds like it could verywell be the problem as the looper started playing all by itself a few times last night. I thought my studio was haunted.

I always assume user error is the most likely cause of KPA problems. It’s just sometimes difficult to figure out what error you have made. ;)

• Be aware, that "Polarity: Normal" is referring to an opening switch: the contact is closed while it is idle. A closing switch requires the setting "Polarity: Inverse".

For most switching functions it doesn't matter that much. If you select wrong polarity, a module might change its on/off-status when you release the button instead of when you hit the button. You might not even notice the difference. But in combination with the Looper wrong polarity could lead to crap scenarios e. g. two buttons being interpreted as hold simultaneously.

• Burkhard I have just tested the 2 way switch with the polarity of tip (looper start) and ring (looper stop) inverted. Nothing happened when pressing either pedal. I then put them both back to normal and had the same problem as before. However, when I set the Ring to Inverse and Tip to Normal everything functioned properly.

It appears that one of my switches is wired back to front.

Thanks for your help.

• Be aware, that "Polarity: Normal" is referring to an opening switch: the contact is closed while it is idle. A closing switch requires the setting "Polarity: Inverse".

Hi,

English is not my native language, please clarify: "the contact is closed while it is idle" means that the electrical signal passes through the switch contacts (contacts shorted)?

Pressing the switch breaks the signal?

Edit.

I found schematic

That's strange.

According to the picture above my switches are normally open.
    Nevertheless looper doesn't work. No reaction on pressing switches at all.

What I see on the picture is idle state.

But for Normally Open contact is not closed.
    I can't get it, please explain.

BTW other assignments work properly (tuner, Rig Up|/Down etc).

• That quote is from 2019. In the meantime we have eliminated the Polarity setting for switches in the OS as we concluded that all usual momentary switches are "normally open" switches anyhow - as shown in you left diagram. So we eliminated that "complexity" of Polarity setting: the PROFILER just requires such normally open switches. But it's also important that these switches are momentary and non-latching. That has always been the case and is mentioned in the manuals as well as tutorial videos. Using a KEMPER 2-way switch might simplify this effort as it 's compatibility is guaranteed.

The other thing is understanding what these looper functions are that could be assigned to analog switches. "Looper Mode" might not be what you are looking for as it just changes the function of the foot switches built into Remote and Stage between their normal role and their looper role. If you don't own a Remote nor Stage that function is meaningless for you. You want to assign Looper Start and Looper Stop to your analog momenetary normally open switches. What these functions Looper Mode, Looper Start, Looper Stop exactly do is described in the Main Manual chapter dedicated to the Looper.