Two questions: speaker and saving rigs

• Hi people, I am new in using the Kemper and have two questions:

1. we use in-Ear monitoring and a p.A. in the rehearsing room. When I am at home and looking for sounds i am not sure what I should use to hear me playing (don't have the P.A. at home). I could use the Earphones. But this sound is different than the P.A. sound; plus using the Phones is not very comfortable for long usage. I could use a power amp + guitar speakers (12" and/or 10"). But is this sound comparable to the P.A. sound? I could use active stereo speaker from the computer or amp+speaker from my hifi-system. I also could buy a FRFR (active) cab (Laney LFR-112 for example). What do you use to get closest to the P.A. sound?

2. I haven't quite figured out the preset saving system of the Kemper yet. Just a quick question here: in general, is it possible to create one basic rig (for example the "clean rig" or the "solo rig") and use this very same rig on different locations (presets) on the board? So when I am changing settings in this rig (for example at the position 1-1) it makes the changes also on (same) rig which is located at 2-1. I hope you get what my question is :)

Thanks!

Max

• Hi Max, welcome and have fun with your Kemper!

What do you use to get closest to the P.A. sound?

At home I am using it with my active monitors which I use anyway for my studio-related work - so it sounds similar as in the studio. That's different from PA sound as the "earth-shaking" aspect of high volume is missing to a certain extent. But on the other hand side you can hear everything as detailed as it is. Not the feeling of a real amp in front of you though - but I understand that's anyway not what you're after.

2. I haven't quite figured out the preset saving system of the Kemper yet.

Please make yourself familiar with Performances. These are made of rigs ("presets") but can combine them ultra flexible and they can save changes in the rigs without changing the original rig. Simply create a new performance and put rigs in it - or the same rig multiple times and then change the single instances in the respective slots of the Performance. Might sound complicated when you never done it but it is actually very straight forward.

• Should work as well but I rarely tried it because guitar speakers tend to need some higher volume to sound good. Too much for my room here.

In comparison to PA sound please consider this: If your profile which goes to the PA has for instance a 4x12 cab with V30s in it and you are using a 1x12 with Jensen or a Greenback at home then they will certainly sound more different. I use an ENGL PRO 4x12 with V30s in the rehearsal room. So I focus on profiles which use a similar cab in order to have them sound pretty consistent.

• Thanks! What do you think about using normal guitar speaker at home. I mean it sounds great here but is the sound in any way comparable to the P.A. later?

Basically you have to use what you have available bit a guitar speaker is not a good option for auditioning tones that will be used with a PA and IEM. tue problem is that the speaker is at least 5% of the sound of any rig ( maybe even 75% when you include mics etc) but when listening through a guitar speaker you are bypassing the speak portion of the profile so have no idea how it will sound through a PA. A guitar cab has very limited frequency response and is highly coloured which exactly the opposite of what you need to make decisions on your sound choices.

The best option would be a pair of decent studio monitors if you have some. Of not a powered FRFR cab or your IEM would be much better choices than a regular guitar cab. Basically you want what ever you are listening on to colour the sound as little as possible.

• The best option would be a pair of decent studio monitors if you have some. Of not a powered FRFR cab or your IEM would be much better choices than a regular guitar cab. Basically you want what ever you are listening on to colour the sound as little as possible.

so when you play different locations live with different P.A.s, Speaker etc. do you always use the same sounds (incl. cab-sims) or do you change especially the cab-sims from gig to gig at the soundcheck? Or does the Kemper sound more or less always the same over different P.A.s?

• Keep the same sounds.

The idea of using studio monitors is to get a true representation of the core tone. Ot will be different in every venue anyway but that’s the sound engineers job to deal with. Think of it like mixing an album track. The mix engineer wants to hear the track in as flat a manner as possible so that he/she knows what the track really sounds like in a neutral situation. They know that everybody will hear it on different speakers and headphones but they can’t mix the track on every possible combination that listeners might use. Therefore , they go for a good core mix which should translate well to most systems.