KEMPER PROFILER DI BOX QUESTION

• So, I'm sure this topic might have been covered already in some form or fashion, forgive me if I'm kicking a dead horse by asking it again.

I was considering getting one of these but, here's my question regarding the Kemper Profiler DI box...

Lets say we have an all tube guitar amplifier head.

If the speaker output of the guitar amp is going to the input of the Kemper Profiler DI box, isn't the signal still being colored by the power section of said amplifier? I had read somewhere that the kemper can differentiate between the preamp section of the head and the power section as it profiles from the DI box, but call me skeptical.

Would it not make more since to profile the preamp section of the head without including the power section? I ask this because lets say you run that Direct profile we just made of said guitar amp into a tube or solid state power amp and then into a cab...the signal would be getting colored twice at that point by the original amp the profile was made from AND whatever power section that's being sent into.

Would profiling the head via the Effects send or Slave Out (like on mesa heads) going straight into the kemper's return and attaching the head to a speaker cab or load box not be more effective than depending on the DI box if you're just trying to capture the preamp section of the head? Has anyone tried this? :S

Zach/Titan Studios

• For the best explanation, I suggest looking at "Working with Amplifier PROFILEs, Cabinet PROFILEs, Power Amps and Guitar Cabinets", beginning on Page 78 of the Kemper Profiler Main Manual 7.0

Thank you for the insight. It doesn't exactly say WHY we shouldn't do it via the FX loop or slave it, but they suggest we don't. However, it did explain how the profiler works with the process and why to do it via the DI box. Thanks again.

Zach/Titan Studios

• I think the reason for a heading towards including the poweramp in the profile, is that only that will capture what you are hearing. Some preamps need the poweramp section to sound well....so they say.

Personally, my “go to” sound is a profile of an amp using the loop...added a cab from a different profile I liked...done! Works into a powersection+cab (obviously)...but also “direct”, where theres no powersection included.

Probably trial and error, where the odds are that big MV irons where the powersection doesnt do more then “power”...are gonna turn out fine.

• A lot depends on the pre amp and power amp you are trying to profile plus whether you intend to use a valve power amp or a Class D power amp.

Many pre amps (like my Mesa Triaxis) sound really dull and lifeless without the poweramp. However, when profiled from the speaker out on the 2:ninety power amp the sound is glorious. In this case the power amp is a major part of the overall sound. I want my gig setup to be light, portable, consistent and reliable; which Is why I use the powered Kemper instead of hauling a big old Mesa power amp around. In this case I would have not valve power amp in the signal path if I just profiled the Triaxis on its own. However, by profiling the combined pre amp and power amp and amplifying this live with a clean 600 class D power amp I get the full sound and fell of my Mesa rig without the weight an hassle.

On the other hand if used the same profile (including power amp) and then amplified this live through another valve power amp I would effectively be doubling up the contribution of the power section to the live sound. This is likely to sound different. Not necessarily better or worse but certainly different. Which one you prefer is just a matter of taste.

But as I alluded to earlier, some amps may be designed n such a way that the power amp isn’t a major part of the tone. These may profile quote accurately straight from the Fx send.

Incidentally, Mesa say that the Slave Out is a “signal derived from the speaker output” which means it includes power amp rather than just a pre amp.

• But as I alluded to earlier, some amps may be designed n such a way that the power amp isn’t a major part of the tone.

I think there is definitely an influence. At least when we are talking about valve amps. Some amp gurus even say that there is a major difference if pre and poweramp are not in one unit and thus do have separate power supplies, e.g. typical rack mount combintion with separate pre and poweramp sounds different from a head with similar circuit. I always wanted to try this out with a Dual Rectifier head and the combo consisting of RectoPre and poweramp which claimed to sound exactly the same as the head. Never got hold though of both at the same time.

Anyway for the profiles I consider the Kemper to be purely a preamp when I run it with a valve poweramp and so I would rather not like the colouring of another poweramp in the profile too much.