classic metal tones done with EQ matching

  • I have done a exact, or damn close at least, clone to an In Flames song using the ozone method. Worked like a charm.
    But how the heck will I make that to an KPA profile?
    I have tried to make a profile of it, but it does not sound like the one in Cubase.
    Strange, how you guys do it?

    I have not made an replica of an In Flames song, but an clone on the guitar sound...

  • HI, And Welcome Mate!
    can You show us some samples of what you mean with so close..and other things?
    Could we Taste At ''what Point'' are You arrived at actually?
    not Just for Better Understand or Couriositity..
    ..maybe just to ..''show if neccessary' that it may sound ''to me Already IDENTICAL :D ''

  • humm.. as foreseen . :P
    But I have to Confess that I'm not so much into 'in flames' sound to give a Deep/judgemnt
    to me sound a lot in flames-ish.
    but, forgive me, do You have problems with the Profile or With the Mix/master Process?

  • I have problem making a profile out of the sound I have cloned in Cubase with the help of Ozone.
    When I try to make a profile it just do not sound the same as in Cubase. It´s really wierd.

  • humm, ok, it dont sound the same but, in genreal or simply in some zones? frequencies? responding touch? Feel?
    I guess you refied a bit/a lot ... did You try to refine more and more.. and test the difference?
    i suppose that's the maximunm help I can offer ..sorry :(
    maybe someone else more Experienced in this ''Metal Zone''

  • I think my problem is I really do not know how to connect the kemper to my audiocard. Motu 828mkII
    I have read the manual and get it to work, well at least sort of.
    But it does not get like in the DAW.
    And, do you guys use S/PDIF when you profile?

    And when I have made a profile, why is the cab some other cab in some other profile?
    I do not understand at all, I am soon bald of ripping my hair in frustration......

  • Sallazzon, I think I have connected the Kemper right.

    Don - I am using one of Ola Englunds profiles, so I just turn of the cab and make a match through ozon.
    And then make a match to the target guitarsound. And aply that EQ curve to the sound that comes out of the Kemper.
    That sound just perfekt, spot on the target sound.
    After that I make a test tone using Voxengo Deconvolver, I import that testtone in cubase and use the EQ from ozone, and export that as a
    mono wave.
    Then I use cabmaker to make it a profile. Then its time to put it on a USB stick and upload it to the Kemper.
    I import it in the Kemper, Go to the same profile that I used when I was tonematching, Olas profile.
    Press long on the Cabinet button and there choose the cab profile I just made. But it sounds nothing like
    the original target sound.
    Is it something I am missing here?

  • Don - I didn´t quite get that. So if I disabling the cab by pressing the Cabinet softbutton another "cabsound is added to the sound?
    What did you mean with the "non-profiler and preamp signal" ?
    Sorry for this noob questions but I´m new in this field of Eq-Matching. Pretty fun and useful for a mix noob like myself :)

    Thx viabcroce, really good reading. Wow what a massive work you have put in to that! Hats off for you!

    But what I can find out of reading your wiki and from other places I can´t make a profile of the eq-matched sound
    with just the KPA and the DAW. I need to have an amp, cab and a mic?
    So I can not just connect KPA straight in the DAW and use the Ampsim from KPA?
    Hehe, I am really confused now :wacko:

  • Maybe this is some nice opportunity to revive this old thread. Andy Sneap brought in a nice new idea i didn´t think about yet. You still use ozone (or another eq matching plugin) to morph your original amp signal into the desired eq match. Andy´s trick is to feed the original recording into the KPA before doing the refining for the profile that you just created. Nice idea...

  • Andy Sneap's idea is indeed awesome. But it requires a DI signal that matches the recorded tone if I understood it correctly.

    I wonder what would happen, if one just created the corresponding DI signal by trying to very closely mimic the recorded riff (doesn't have to be a long snippet). And then do as Andy prescribed by using that newly created DI.

    In other words, the "refine" operation would be used to bridge the gap between YOUR guitar and the recorded tone. Maybe too huge a gap, dunno :D