Power amps, cabs and remote foot switch!

• Hi all,

Apologies if these questions have been answered, i struggled to find answers in the forum minefield!

Firstly, i have a Kemper profiler and want to use it with my 4x12 Mesa Cab. I know i need a power amp and im looking at the Seymour Duncan 170.

1) I kind of understand the Ohms/Watts thing, if i understand correctly, 4 Ohms is 170watts (from the power amp), 8 Ohms is 85 watts and 16Ohms is 42.5 watts. My question is, is 42.5 watts really enough power if im using 16 ohms on my 4x12 cab? Will that be loud enough for a gig lets say? If not, do you have any power amp recommendations? In all honesty i don't want to be spending loads, the SD170 is around £380 as it is.

2) I will also be looking at purchasing the remote switch pedal but first i'd like to try the kemper with my cab (after buying the power amp) to make sure i like it and it sounds how i want it to with my cab. I assume i can, but can anyone confirm that i can use my kemper and cab WITHOUT the remote switch?

I appreciate the help and apologies if these are obvious questions, Images still learning the way of digital modellers!

Cheers

Rob

• Hi Rob,

Welcome.

1) What's the input impedance of your 4x12 Mesa Cab? If there's a 4-ohm input, use that.

If not; Are you handy? You can probably rewire it, to 4-ohm impedance and potentially a better match for the Seymour Duncan 170.

2) Yes, you can run the Kemper without the Remote. But once you get the Remote, you'll wish you'd gotten it sooner. It makes controlling the Kemper so much easier while you're playing. It also allows you to use the built-in looper in the Kemper.

Here are some resources I wish I had dug into sooner:

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides

Rig Manager Download and Documentation

Kemper Tutorials & Demos

Cheers,

ST

• Thanks for the reply. On my Mesa Cab i have the option to use 4ohms, 8/16 or 16. Do you think if i used the 4ohm/170watts option, that'll be loud enough for a gig? My thinking is the powered kemper is 600watts (i think) so 170watts seems a little low. I know seymour duncan also do a power amp 700watts but thats a little pricier.

I definitely want the remote controller but i wanted to test out the power amps first.

Thanks!

Rob

• You should be able to get a second hand power amp cheaper than that...many people on here use the Seymour so they are best placed to advise but 170 watts isn;t a great deal for a solid state amp. However, don;t forget you should be plugging the Kemper into the PA so you could also use the PA monitors??

You can use it without the remote but its a faff changing sounds, particularly mid song. You can get a cheaper footswitch ( Kemper sell one) to scroll through the patches 1 by 1 to give you basic changes...

• I think i'll probably go for the seymour Duncan PowerStage 700 which is 700watts.

I had considered at FRFR cab or PA monitors but i love the sound of my Mesa Cb so wanted to try it with that and i absolutely will be buying the remote foot controller, i just wanted to try the Kemper/Cab first before buying. Thanks for the help!