Kemper into 2i2 into Logic

• Hello everyone!

Still a Kemper newbie here but eager to learn and get the best out of it. These days I am going about recording guitar (Kemper) in Logic with my Scarlett 2i2 and want to make sure i'm doing it the very best way with the gear I have.

That's how I do It:

- Main output Left into front input of the scarlett with 6.3 instrument cable

- Main output right into second front input of the scarlett with 6.3 instrument cable

- Output settings: Main Output set to "Master Stereo" , other outputs set to off

- scarlett into computer with usb cable

- Both input set to INST in the scarlett (as opposed to LINE)
    - Create audio track in logic using 1+2 input

- record and play

For now it sounds pretty good but I could probably optimize it.Also, I hear a slight buzz when I play clean, only heard when using neck pickup strangely enough.

I've also got some doubts regarding following points:

- I've read in the forum that the inputs of the interface should be set to LINE, however, I found that when they're set to INST, it sounds significantly better

- Should I be using other cables, output, output settings for a better sound quality?

- The kemper headphone output always sounds significantly better than the scarlett headphone output, how could I get the interface's output to sound closer to the kempers? (if at all possible)

Thank you so much in advance for reading this and posting a very much needed response. ^^^^

• I’m surprised that Inst sounds better than Line. The KPA is definitely putting out a Line level signal so using Inst level input (think the sort of signal level that comes straight from a guitar) would typically need you to reduce the output level of the KPA and/or the i put gain on the Scarlet significantly to stop clipping.

TS cables are fine

Output settings. Would usually ensure -12db is ticked to pad down the level a bit. Which signal you use depends on what sort of sounds you are recording. Unless you are recording stereo FX such as chorus, delay etc then I would use Master Mono or even Stack and just use a single input on your Logic track. You will still create a stereo mix by panning within the overall mix but you only need a mono source to do this.

Headphone - the KPA does seem to have a good headphone amp but a large part of the reasonit sounds so much better than the interface is probably because the KPA headphone out always has the Space effect added. You can add the Space effect to the main outs or add it as an FX in one of the post stack blocks in a rig. I would try this purely to confirm or deny that this is the source of the difference in sound between KPA and Scarlet headphone outs. However, eve if it is you probably don’t want to send this effect to DAW when recording. The Space effect is basically a very short stereo reverb so one workaround might be to a a very short reverb to the guitar channel in Logic for monitoring then defeat this when mixing. Alternatively, you could apply this effect to the main master bus in Logic but don’t forget to disable it when not playing on headphones.

• I'm using TS cables like you and they sound great. Although I have more ins and outs on my interface. So I am also using TS for my dry signal.

and 48k set for Kemper and DAW.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I’m surprised that Inst sounds better than Line. The KPA is definitely putting out a Line level signal so using Inst level input (think the sort of signal level that comes straight from a guitar) would typically need you to reduce the output level of the KPA and/or the i put gain on the Scarlet significantly to stop clipping.

TS cables are fine

Output settings. Would usually ensure -12db is ticked to pad down the level a bit. Which signal you use depends on what sort of sounds you are recording. Unless you are recording stereo FX such as chorus, delay etc then I would use Master Mono or even Stack and just use a single input on your Logic track. You will still create a stereo mix by panning within the overall mix but you only need a mono source to do this.

Headphone - the KPA does seem to have a good headphone amp but a large part of the reasonit sounds so much better than the interface is probably because the KPA headphone out always has the Space effect added. You can add the Space effect to the main outs or add it as an FX in one of the post stack blocks in a rig. I would try this purely to confirm or deny that this is the source of the difference in sound between KPA and Scarlet headphone outs. However, eve if it is you probably don’t want to send this effect to DAW when recording. The Space effect is basically a very short stereo reverb so one workaround might be to a a very short reverb to the guitar channel in Logic for monitoring then defeat this when mixing. Alternatively, you could apply this effect to the main master bus in Logic but don’t forget to disable it when not playing on headphones.

I do, when using the INST mode, reduce the input gains of the scarlett, not because it gets to loud but because the gain knobs create a not so great sounding distorsion that I'd rather get from the kemper. I'll definitely try the LINE mode again though, and will also implement the output settings you have advised. Regarding the stereo vs mono recording, I am recording my favorite kemper preset which has delay, reverbs, eq and a couple of other effects so do I still want to go back to mono? Also if I go back to mono, do I only need to connect one cable from kemper main output to scarlett input? (two are connected now)

Thank you very much for your response though! Very helpful already

• The fact that you need to reduce the gain on the Scarlet to stop clipping when using Inst input confirms the point that Line is a better option. I suspect the reason Inst sounds better (even after reducing the input gain) is because it is still louder than the same settings for Line level input. Our ears generally perceive louder as better and even a very small difference can matter. To test this make sure to exactly level match both signals. They should sound the same but the Line version will require much less attenuation to mKe it useable.

If you are recording a rig with stereo delays then you need to connect two ables and record a stereo track. However, most people would tend to record the basic track in mono without the stereo Delays in order to have the option of tweaking the delays in the mix at a later stage.

If you go to mono you can still leave both cables connected but by selecting mono in the output menu they will both get the same signal. If you select a mono track in Logic it will only record one of the cables.

• I have an 18i20 myself and have a SansAmp Bass Driver going into input 1 or 2 and connecting to my DAW via USB from the Focusrite. So question, the Tech 21 DI has a parallel output with true bypass tone. I’d like to direct the unaffected tone to the Kemper and have a second affected DI track going into the 18i20. The problem I foresee is having my DAW pick up both signals from the same USB connection.

So ideally, I would like to record the same bass part on two different tracks. The Kemper would be the cleaner of the two and I would like the second track to be the dirty Sansamp. I know Doug Pinnick records this way and I’ve read that Geddy Lee also runs parallel rigs.

I’m assuming I need to record the Kemper directly from the Kemper USB in the Kemper and the SansAmp directly from the
    18i20 USB out? Then set up my DAW to record both tracks simultaneously? I think that’s how it would have to work in theory but haven’t had time to monkey with it. In the DAW I foresee panning the Kemper track hard left and dropping the DB’s with the Sansamp sitting in the middle of the mix and more pronounced. Just a vision I have but I’m open to different mixing solutions if I can get both tracks up and running for simultaneously recording.

• The problem I foresee is having my DAW pick up both signals from the same USB connection..............

............I’m assuming I need to record the Kemper directly from the Kemper USB in the Kemper and the SansAmp directly from the

18i20 USB out?

I’m afraid I don’t follow the logic of this signal path.

Your DAW doesn’t need to “pick up both signals from the same USB” (although in reality that is exactly what it will be doing).

The Sansamp will feed an input (or pair of inputs) in the 18i20. The Sansamp DI will feed the input of the KPA. The KPA outs will feed other inputs on the 18i20. Everything goes through the 18i20 and out the same USB to your DAW. In the DAW assign each track its own Input number from the 18i20. You can record as many simultaneous tracks as the 18i20 can handle.

the bigger issue is likely to be phase alignment of the signals. The Sansamp signal wont have any Digital Latency other than what the 18i20 adds. However, the KPA will have some latency from the convertors. You may find that you need to nudge one track’s position to make the phase align. Alternatively (and probably much more reliable) just insert a Sample Delay plugin on any tracks that need aligned and apply the appropriate delay.

Alternatively' you could just profile the Sansamp and do everything in the KPA ?

• I’m afraid I don’t follow the logic of this signal path.

Your DAW doesn’t need to “pick up both signals from the same USB” (although in reality that is exactly what it will be doing).

The Sansamp will feed an input (or pair of inputs) in the 18i20. The Sansamp DI will feed the input of the KPA. The KPA outs will feed other inputs on the 18i20. Everything goes through the 18i20 and out the same USB to your DAW. In the DAW assign each track its own Input number from the 18i20. You can record as many simultaneous tracks as the 18i20 can handle.

the bigger issue is likely to be phase alignment of the signals. The Sansamp signal wont have any Digital Latency other than what the 18i20 adds. However, the KPA will have some latency from the convertors. You may find that you need to nudge one track’s position to make the phase align. Alternatively (and probably much more reliable) just insert a Sample Delay plugin on any tracks that need aligned and apply the appropriate delay.

Alternatively' you could just profile the Sansamp and do everything in the KPA ?

• K, I guess I’ve never had reason to record two tracks simultaneously from the 18i20 so I assumed the DAW would only “see” an incoming signal from one output on the interface. If I can select any output I want on the interface in my DAW that would make things simple and I would just need to deal with latency issues. Depending on how far off the audio “prints” on the DAW I guess it could sound a little like delay, no?

I’ve always messed around with GarageBand and didn’t have the high end gear I have now so I haven’t done enough recording. Logic is as simple as GarageBand if you want it to be so I’m still trying to learn even some of the more basic functions but I basically use it like I did GarageBand.

I feel like it’s a lot of work, programming drums and keys. I don’t even play keyboards but it’s really easy to correct notes almost like typing a document in Word with a spell checker. Playing guitars is more like cursive writing on post it notes. You can’t correct your handwriting but you can patch together a bunch of post it notes to say what you want to say. I do like to play leads in one full take, otherwise I’m always patching things together.

• K, I guess I’ve never had reason to record two tracks simultaneously from the 18i20 so I assumed the DAW would only “see” an incoming signal from one output on the interface. If I can select any output I want on the interface in my DAW that would make things simple and I would just need to deal with latency issues.

In Logic you can right lick on the input box on the channel strip and select any available input from your interface. My old Saffire has 4 analog and 2 SPDIF that can be recorded simultaneously. Your 18i20 has even more. ?

Depending on how far off the audio “prints” on the DAW I guess it could sound a little like delay, no?

no, we are typically talking about delays of only a few milliseconds which aren’t audible as delays but do really screw your tone. Such short delays cause comb filtering which cancels out frequencies. If the tracks aren’t phase aligned the will sound very weak and thin (lack of bass) compared to just a single track. Have a loock on YouTube for some videos about phase alignment. There are plenty of good examples for micinga guitar cab with multiple mics or micing a drum kit but the principal is the same for all instruments.

you will find your way are around Logic in no time. Stick at it and have fun learning while making music ?.