The Kemper Foot Controller: Evolution

• I vote for the larger one. If it's a tie or close, it should go to the larger one cuz the folks that prefer the larger one have more to loose than those that prefer the smaller one. (Yes, I'm a bit biased)

Here's my reasoning though:

The people that prefer the smaller version simply don't need or use tap tempo at all or much and if asked, will simply prefer the smaller one. I would too if I had no use for it. Why would anyone want something to be any larger than suits their needs? When asked of, course, they'll give an opinion for smaller. However, they likely won't be pissed or inconvenienced if the larger one is chosen. At the proposed dimensions of even the larger design (wasn't it 16.5 x 7.5 inches? ), this thing will be smaller than what most people are currently using to control their KPC's. In other words, it's not like they are going to be like "This controller is so massive but I have no other choice." In fact if Chris had simply released the larger one without coming to us first, I doubt that there would be many folks grumbling about it being too big.

However, the people that want the larger one are folks that have a true need for an ergonomic tap tempo. I'm always amazed with the number of controllers with the tap tempo moved to a second row. Other than bank buttons, it's the only button that you're ever going to hit more than once in a row, often in the middle of a song if the drummer speeds up. It's quite difficult to do when playing and singing into a mic, now add standing on one foot and reaching over the first row to tap multiple times. On the front row, you can keep your heel on the ground and tap. At least bank buttons aren't usually needed in the middle of a song, assuming you organize your presets well. Those that want the larger are folks that have a genuine NEED for ergonomic tap tempo. It will be a major inconvenience if the smaller one is chosen. In fact, I might not buy it, but stick with my Rocktron midi mate.

• 100% with you on the tap tempo access on the bottom row!

I vote for the larger one. If it's a tie or close, it should go to the larger one cuz the folks that prefer the larger one have more to loose than those that prefer the smaller one. (Yes, I'm a bit biased)

Here's my reasoning though:

The people that prefer the smaller version simply don't need or use tap tempo at all or much and if asked, will simply prefer the smaller one. I would too if I had no use for it. Why would anyone want something to be any larger than suits their needs? When asked of, course, they'll give an opinion for smaller. However, they likely won't be pissed or inconvenienced if the larger one is chosen. At the proposed dimensions of even the larger design (wasn't it 16.5 x 7.5 inches? ), this thing will be smaller than what most people are currently using to control their KPC's. In other words, it's not like they are going to be like "This controller is so massive but I have no other choice." In fact if Chris had simply released the larger one without coming to us first, I doubt that there would be many folks grumbling about it being too big.

However, the people that want the larger one are folks that have a true need for an ergonomic tap tempo. I'm always amazed with the number of controllers with the tap tempo moved to a second row. Other than bank buttons, it's the only button that you're ever going to hit more than once in a row, often in the middle of a song if the drummer speeds up. It's quite difficult to do when playing and singing into a mic, now add standing on one foot and reaching over the first row to tap multiple times. On the front row, you can keep your heel on the ground and tap. At least bank buttons aren't usually needed in the middle of a song, assuming you organize your presets well. Those that want the larger are folks that have a genuine NEED for ergonomic tap tempo. It will be a major inconvenience if the smaller one is chosen. In fact, I might not buy it, but stick with my Rocktron midi mate.

• Are you kidding? Another interference source on a stage with 8 wireless devices already? IMO not a good idea....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• We have a ton of wireless going on too. 4 instruments and 6 monitors. Now we also have a router for our mixer so we can access our monitors with our iPads.

By the way - I would prefer the bigger foot controller.

I edit my posts because of typos. Me mind be moving faster than me fingers!

• Are you kidding? Another interference source on a stage with 8 wireless devices already? IMO not a good idea....

If it's digital, no reason to worry about interference. Depending on the RF modulation scheme used, you could have many multiples of 8 available.

• The other thread on the to-be footcontroller seems deserted.

One more idea on a expression pedal. If this were to be used as a volume pedal *seriously*, like a pedal steeler would (ab-)use it, it rather be rugged. I have a Digitech floor effects processor, which has a rugged non-contacting (magnet?) rotary position detection, the DSP translates this to a perceived constant angular-displacement-to-loudness change, meaning that you have the feeling that if you push the pedal down so much it will become louder in a predictable way.

Unfortunately, most simple pot pedals, Ernie Ball, Goodrich, you name them, have pots built into them that are not fit for the task. Being in the audio path, they will become scratchy soon. By this time I have not mentioned any quirky taper they may exhibit.

The Telonics is one of the few one that work, but is, compared to the task it finally fulfills, very pricy. They map an artificial pot taper onto a digitally controlled resistive element via microcontroller. The position is sensed non contacting. Their argument is that their signal path is completely analog.

However, once you are digital, as in the case of the KPA, this argument is irrelevant. You might as well change the volume with the DSP - no big deal.

So, to come to the point, if the KPA foot controller allows for a stock pot volume pedal to go as exp pedal, as many of similar devices do, this is fine, as long as provision is taken to re-map a perceivedly natural audio taper onto an arbitrary pot taper, which would make some sort of "profiling" of the pedal necessary. And yes - the usual MIDI control range 0-127 is too coarse unfortunately. You hear the steps.

Now this is something to get your teeth in folks ;) .
    A small step for a DSP, but a giant step for the hard pumping steel player...

-helmut

• A short statement about the next planned steps for the KPA would be fine. It's a little bit too quiet here from official site. I know there are many feature requests and you can't solve all things at the same time, but please give us a short statement wich points are highlighted.

• A short statement about the next planned steps for the KPA would be fine. It's a little bit too quiet here from official site. I know there are many feature requests and you can't solve all things at the same time, but please give us a short statement wich points are highlighted.

Thats also my opinion,

I requested it by mail and also in some threads. I learned that a small community of "pros" is discussing topics like that in a kind of direct communication to Christoph Kemper and all other ar excluded. Or it is needed to read and post the whole day to be actual and on satus quo.

I asked the Customer support to get a clear statement via the NEWS on the KPA website about the upcoming footswitch. That would be great!

...I had a lot of equipment... but 2012 I got the KPA.... :)

• For what I've seen in the past 18 months Kemper do not give public deadlines for release of new products and/or features. That is a quite understandable policy when you look at the kind of reactions Line6 got for doing it and missing the deadline (HD firmware for Variax as an example). When is ready it will be announced....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I understand this point of view. I don't want a deadline for the release of anything. For me it would be great to know wich from the thousand wishes of the users will be highlighted and on wich feature or improvement they are working actually. There is no need to talk about release dates. If they want to make it right it needs time and if the next features will be in the same quality as the KPA at the moment, i think they will be all amazing. ;)

• I understand this point of view. I don't want a deadline for the release of anything. For me it would be great to know wich from the thousand wishes of the users will be highlighted and on wich feature or improvement they are working actually. There is no need to talk about release dates. If they want to make it right it needs time and if the next features will be in the same quality as the KPA at the moment, i think they will be all amazing. ;)

AGAIN "Akkan" thats 100% my opinion!!!!

Not a date, nobody talkes about releasedates!!!! A hint, or thread of intent what CK will be releasing in the near future, that we (KPA users) have an idea if we have to organize workaroundsfor product gaps or not. We talk also about investments of alternatives we could prevent such as Floorboards, Midi software, Pedals, cables etc.

I also understand that CK doesn't want to offer company secrets around the floorboard but IF it will be released and a rough estimation when would be at least fair... don't you agree?

...I had a lot of equipment... but 2012 I got the KPA.... :)

• It WILL be released, one month ago CK said it was going to take some months... That mean this year.

• As we all should have noticed as of today, Kemper are not going do disclose what their next moves will be.
    In this aggressive (understatement) market this helps a product to keep some weeks/months margin ahead the competitors.

I have to say I understand this strategy. And it's either hit or miss, it can't stand true for some things and disregarded in other situations.