Leave 'Speaker Tru' disconnected when creating DI profile, will it harm the amp?

• Hi,

These days there are amps with a built-in attenuator and IRs and therefore don't necessarily need a cab connected (if the output has been setup that way).

I have two questions about this related to profiling these kind of amps (while using the attenuator).

1)
    So I guess the best approach to create DI profiles (leaving out the IR) and then add that same IR into the CAB-part of the Kemper to recreate that sound.
    Am I correct?

2)
    These amps are usually low power (bedroom) amps (20watt or even less), and I was wondering whether you could use the attenuator of that amp so that no cab needs to be connected
    So leave 'Speaker Tru' disconnected in this setup:
    https://www.kemper-amps.com/wb…th-kemper-and-di-box-jpg/
    This way you could even make profiles at night time since there is no noise in the room. But is this possible at all without blowing up something?

Btw: I have the Kemper DI box.

Thanks in advance,

• I don’t think that would work. Most of the amps with built in attenuators/load boxes (like my Mesa Mark V:25) have a with to kill the speaker or the output socket is switched so that no signal gets sent to the speaker output is switched so that a resistor is added in place of the speaker if no speaker cable is plugged in.

If you plug a speaker cable into the amp output and connect this to the Kemper DI you will get either;

a) no sound to profile because the speaker is manually turned off in the amp or

b) the amp will not activate its protective load and will send the full signal expecting the speaker to be the load. The Kemper DI doesn’t provide a load for the anp. it relies on the through being connected to a speaker to do so.

If you are going to do this you need either;

a) an external load box either between the speaker out and Kemper DI or connected to the through of the DI box.

b) an amp with a built in load and a separate line level out (not the speaker out).