What is the perform mode on my kemper

• After having my kemper amp for a week and a half, i am very pleased with the sounds so far.
    But what i still dont understand is, the perform mode, what does this "thing" exactly.
    What is the matrix? Ah, no wait, what is the perform mode? :?:
    Sorry for the stupid question.

• i also wondered several times if there was a concept for the performance mode at all when they decided to include it in the main dial between 'browse' and 'profiler' modes.

it's been almost 8 months now since the kemper's commercially available and still no official statement about it. imo, it was a bad move for kemper. i guess it'll be some exclusive feature in combination with the kemper foot controller to organize your patches for performances. not sure if its necessary to include it in the main dial for that, though.

don't get me wrong, i'm very pleased with my kemper. it's just that the 'performance' mode like most of the knobs and dials on the panel seem quite redundant, imo. i'm now looking at my kemper, and although i've tweaked several rigs as well as using FX, i've NEVER so far touched the 'rig' buttons, ANY of the stack buttons, mod intensity or rate dials, undo, redo, on/off, lock, copy, or paste knobs. you can actually pretty much tweak everything with the type/browse and lower knobs (normally stack EQ) anyway.

my 0,02€

• i've NEVER so far touched the 'rig' buttons, ANY of the stack buttons, mod intensity or rate dials, undo, redo, on/off, lock, copy, or paste knobs.

YOu're missing a lot of the magic....IMHO. To each his one... :thumbup:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Well, I've definitely played with the Amplifier and Cabinet settings within the Stack area. However, there are numerous knobs that I don't use: the Rig buttons to the right, all the adjustment knobs in the upper half (except for noise gate and master volume). Plus there are the knobs that don't do anything yet (undo, redo, copy, paste). Actually, copy/paste might work, but I've never tried them or felt a need to ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Perform mode is a feature that simply allows you to set up a setlist with the patches required for that set nin order, so you can simply walk through them using a single button to move forward or backwards rather than doing a foot fandango or having to carefully name each rig to get them in sequence.

At least that's what it was indicated as being, at this point it doesn't exist so who knows, Christoph may decide that what the Kemper really needs is a bacon timer (for those mid rehersal breaks/arguments where half the band wanders off to grab a cup of coffee, or a bacon sandwich while the keyboard player and vocalist duke it out), and implement that in the perform mode slot instead.

It goes without saying my vote is for the bacon timer.

• If you zoom in on the screen of KPA on some of the PR pictures showing the front of KPA you can see atleast one time view on what the perform mode could look like on the screen. Whether it will be anything like that when finally available is a different thing.

Check out for example the pic on make'n'music site:
    KPA front

And while discussing the amount of knobs on front of KPA - doesn't every fully grown male individual™ love knobs? The bigger the better.

Seriously though, I like the layout of the KPA's front. You can get quickly to any parameter and I think it provides many possibilities for convenient features in future updates. For example I rarely touched the Rig button on the left but after the latest public beta release I'm all over it when setting up my favorite rigs.

• YOu're missing a lot of the magic....IMHO. To each his one... :thumbup:

well, i actually meant for turning 'amplifier', 'stack' or 'cabinet' off. i've used the cabinet and amplifier buttons to tweak cabs or advanced amp settings. still, i believe that this could have been accessed by assigning the knobs above the screen.

we all know the only real reason the kemper has so many buttons is because they are backlit, and lights = tone

• i also wondered several times if there was a concept for the performance mode at all when they decided to include it in the main dial between 'browse' and 'profiler' modes.

it's been almost 8 months now since the kemper's commercially available and still no official statement about it. imo, it was a bad move for kemper. i guess it'll be some exclusive feature in combination with the kemper foot controller to organize your patches for performances. not sure if its necessary to include it in the main dial for that, though.

Look on page 35 of your manual. There's an entire section describing it's functionality. Looks like an official statement to me. 8)

• Perform mode is working fine for me! I Love the way they incorporated this for me when Chris asked me, "What do you want from life"? What a great guy.

I've been doing one-man band gigs with backing tracks. I load all of my backing tracks onto a USB thumbdrive. I put that into the KPA USB slot. I assign a patch name in Perform mode, for example, SANTANA- EVILWAYS, then in the systems menu I assign "evilways.mp3" from the usb stick to that patch. Then using iTunes, I make a note of where I want the patch changes to occur within the timestamp of the song, for example Plexi with Delay from 0:00 to 0:37; then Blues Junior with Chorus from 0:37 - 1:02, then Boogie Lead with delay from 1:02 - 2:13. You get the idea. All of these are assigned to the names of the sections of the songs that you see in the TESLA picture VERSE, CHORUS, BRIDGE that I define for each song.

Then, I press play using a foot switch, the backing track starts and comes out of the KPA "monitor out" to my PA. I play along with the track and sing my vocal part and I don't need a MIDI controller or footcontroller because the KPA automatically changes patches for me at the times defined against the respective backing track. I've done this for all my songs in my set. After each song, the KPA stops and you need to hit the footswitch to start your next song off of the USB stick and it changes patches perfectly as you define them. I just wish they would have included .wav file playback as well as .mp3, but I've got a software converter.

It's a great feature for solo musicians. You could do the same with a band, but you would need to feed a click track to your drummers headphones.

I'm very happy with the way this feature works. I'm glad Kemper listened. For me, it was either between this feature or the Bacon Timer, but they said they couldn't implement both.

Other things I'm hoping they incoroporate soon are:

A heated kidney shaped pool,
    A microwave oven--don’t watch the food cook,
    A dyna-gym--I’ll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
    A kingsize titanic unsinkable molly brown waterbed with polybendum,
    A foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
    Real simulated indian jewelry,
    A gucci shoetree,
    A year’s supply of antibiotics,
    A personally autographed picture of randy mantooth
    And bob dylan’s new unlisted phone number,
    A beautifully restored 3rd reich swizzle stick,
    Rosemary’s baby,
    A dream date in kneepads with paul williams,
    A new matador,
    A new mastadon,
    A maverick,
    A mustang,
    A montego,
    A merc montclair,
    A mark iv,
    A meteor,
    A mercedes,
    An mg,
    Or a malibu,
    A mort moriarty,
    A maserati,
    A mac truck,
    A mazda,
    A new monza,
    Or a moped,
    A winnebago--hell, a herd of winnebago’s we’re giving ’em away,
    Or how about a mcculloch chainsaw,
    A las vegas wedding,
    A mexican divorce,
    A solid gold kama sutra coffee pot,
    Or a baby’s arm holding an apple?

Gotta love the KPA.

• Two total posts, lots of sarcasm, yet plausible description of functionality.....not sure if serious? :S

• Of course it's not serious, just trying to add more humor after the FDA comment which I thought was funny. But the feature as I described it probably could be implemented and it would reduce the number of items needed to bring to a gig, so it is a serious feature request (I'd really just like the ability to play Audio files through USB as I stated on another post like the Roland GR-55), but it may not be important to most and I can continue bringing the ipad to the gig. Timing patch changes to the tracks I think it's a bit "overkill" . . . hence the sarcasm. But it would be cool.