Neural Amp Modeler, a free amp profiler?!?

• Here we go again.:rolleyes: Someone who play a victim when his world collide with other people's reality and can't accept another view. The only who act like a bullie here is you.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Thanks for saying that gracefully because if it was me, the school bullies here would be on top of it. Nothing wrong with this, kemper can only go forward from here. Check out the null test.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So, you're still in school? Explains a lot.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• So about that NAM thing? Can we get back on topic please? Maybe take the arguments somewhere else? It's actually an interesting topic, so let's not force everyone to read along something else. Thanks.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• theoretically , would it be possible to compile NAM on the KPA DSP without any major modification of the source code ?

I don't see why not, but at the same time, that would obsolete existing Profiles (and Profilers), no?

I get where you're going, but they won't even remove a (long) redundant LED from the Head/Rack. Gutting their own Profiling process for an open-source?!?!?

• that's sure a dilemna , but why both profiling process could'nt be available then ?

but in the meanwhile using NAM amp profiles could theoretically be possible on a KPA with killer latency & portability. I'm almost sure that the KPA already use some MIT licensed parts of code. I may be wrong and maybe C Kemper wrote the code entirely in assembler ?

• that's sure a dilemna , but why both profiling process could'nt be available then ?

but in the meanwhile using NAM amp profiles could theoretically be possible on a KPA with killer latency & portability. I'm almost sure that the KPA already use some MIT licensed parts of code. I may be wrong and maybe C Kemper wrote the code entirely in assembler ?

I highly doubt that any of the Kemper code is done is assembler. DSP code in assembly would be especially foolish. Most likely done in C.

Kemper could use NAM under the normal open source licensing model. This usually comes with restrictions that most for-profit companies are not willing to agree to, but I think it is theoretically possible.

Including both NAM profiles and Kemper profiles is possible in theory. It would depend on compatibility of implementation details and available hardware resources. I, for one, would be surprised if this happened. Would be interesting if it did.

• Thanks for the info. Interesting set of tradeoffs made in that choice. That's a nice article. I noticed the mention of a 15 year life cycle which might give a hint regarding all the Kemper 2 etc... talk.

NP - as a non-coder, what sort of tradeoffs come to mind?

• NP - as a non-coder, what sort of tradeoffs come to mind?

There are a basic set of tradeoffs regarding assembly code vs something higher level like C or it's variants. Here is a basic generic list as a starting point:

• Code size - assembly should be better
    • performance - execution time/latency - assembly should be better
    • complexity - assembly is not as easy to code for higher complexity algorithms. Generally requires longer coding time, debug time. modification time, and increased mistakes. This may be something that Kemper is forced to deal with as a consequence of assembly coding.

So, there are case dependent tradeoffs to be considered and prioritized. There is no single better solution.

• I gave a try to this great software, it's surprisingly good and the input gain knob works like a real amp on my 1st test :) you get that instant snapshot feel like on KPA , sounds very good straight away.

here is a clip, I used my SSL2+ desktop interface on reaper , with a verb on top on 2nd clips

I still have an annoying latency @256 samples 48K but the tone is great, here is my 1st clip with input adjusted on NAM on a purple plexi profile without and with verb, with same IR, see pic on soundcloud.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Kemper could use NAM under the normal open source licensing model. This usually comes with restrictions that most for-profit companies are not willing to agree to, but I think it is theoretically possible.

Just throwing this in: Neural Amp Modeler is under MIT-license and this allows commercial use of the product. You could even use the code in closed-source projects.

• Just throwing this in: Neural Amp Modeler is under MIT-license and this allows commercial use of the product. You could even use the code in closed-source projects.

Yes it will be interesting to see it in a commercial form, I’m all for it, but it will be at least 3 to 5 years in my IMO that a true professional product will exist given the current features, let’s not get to excited🥂

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.