Problem with Headrush 108 as a floor monitor

• I have a Friedman asc-12 as my main amp….i bought a Headrush 108 as a floor monitor since I’ve been having issues lately hearing myself clearly. My issue…..the 108 has a sizzle to most of my tones….which my Friedman doesn’t have at all….and actually it sounds like the Headrush influences the tone of the Friedman…..if I kill the volume on the Headrush the Friedman is back to its usual self. I’ve unlinked the main output and use the Master volume to control the monitor output to the Headrush. Is the Headrush speaker to small for this? I’m not heavy metal this is used for power blues…..so there isn’t a massive amount of gain in the signal. Suggestions? Thanks!

Edited once, last by Guitarb7 ().

• High frequencies are very directional. The more a speaker is pointed right at you, the brighter/harsher it will sound.

Think of the lows as being water poured out of the speaker, they flow out gradually and fill the room. Highs are more like a laser shooting straight out.

The Headrush should sound very similar to the Friedman if your head is right down by the tweeter. The Friedman has a 12" low driver in a bigger cab vs the 8" in the Headrush so it may have a little more bass that is masking the brightness. The 8" can also recreate higher frequencies than the 12" since it is lighter. But the crossover networks should have them dialed in as flat as possible.

Speakers also have a burn-in period where they may sound harsher.

My long winded point is you want them both to sound similar because I am assuming you are needing a third signal to go to the PA mains. So it may help you to put them side by side and compare to get a better feel for if they are different or not. Especially getting the tweeters lined up in the same position in relation to your ear.

• How can I do that on Output to Monitor? I don’t want to effect my eq settings for output to my main amp. Thanks!

I'm not in front of my Profiler, but I believe it's:

Output button - scroll to monitor out - adjust as needed.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Guitar speakers naturally roll off highs as we all know. Power is wasted sending frequencies the speaker can't use. Guitar cabs sound great with amps because they roll off highs and that sounds "normal" to most of us.

This is how I do it, I use the overall LPF and plug into a guitar cab. At first the frequencies rolled off won't affect anything because the speaker isn't producing them anyway. I keep going until I hear it affect the top end and then stop and maybe add a little more for "headroom". That seems to be the right place for a "natural" sound going into the P.A. and my monitor because nothing that normally wouldn't come out of a guitar speaker is going to the P.A. and my tone isn't altered but is being correctly "limited" in a way.

• Guitar speakers naturally roll off highs as we all know. Power is wasted sending frequencies the speaker can't use. Guitar cabs sound great with amps because they roll off highs and that sounds "normal" to most of us.

This is how I do it, I use the overall LPF and plug into a guitar cab. At first the frequencies rolled off won't affect anything because the speaker isn't producing them anyway. I keep going until I hear it affect the top end and then stop and maybe add a little more for "headroom". That seems to be the right place for a "natural" sound going into the P.A. and my monitor because nothing that normally wouldn't come out of a guitar speaker is going to the P.A. and my tone isn't altered but is being correctly "limited" in a way.

Helluv'an idea. I'm stealing it.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I’ve also had some joy playing with the cabs recently, I found and excellent 4x12 which I think was part of a Celestion deal some years ago.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• This is how I do it, I use the overall LPF and plug into a guitar cab. ...

By LPF I assume you mean the high cut filter in the output section.

For me this is mandatory and I thought we 'all' used this filter for FRFR type speakers.

Not all FRFRs are equal and there are differences that are sometimes very noticeable. FRFRs are almost never full range or flat response and that requires further equalization IME. Due to this, I have to adjust the high cut frequency differently for different speakers and sometimes use the 4 band equalizers dedicated to the main and monitor outputs in addition to tame the sizzle.

• With the speaker as a wedge facing me ... I've set my High Cut (by ear) to 5612.2 Hz ... AND ...

because the 108 (and yes, I do have one) is quite hefty at the bottom end, Low Cut to 81.3 Hz (you might want to lower this if you are using drop D/C

This works for me and I haven't had any whinges from FOH to date.

• Not all FRFRs are equal and there are differences that are sometimes very noticeable. FRFRs are almost never full range or flat response and that requires further equalization IME. Due to this, I have to adjust the high cut frequency differently for different speakers and sometimes use the 4 band equalizers dedicated to the main and monitor outputs in addition to tame the sizzle.

And this is why I set mine to filter out what a guitar cab won't. I want my monitor to sound like a guitar cab, not reproduce everything like a monitor. Once the top is filtered properly, you're pretty close.

• Lots of great advice above, my quick and dirty geurilla fix for high end sizzle and assuming your using studio profiles is too lower the hi shift in the cab block just a few increments, a little goes a long way.

This should not affect the Friedman as it rolls off the highs a lot more then the headrush.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.