Rocktron All Access switches assignment tutorial for Kemper use

• hi Michaelmellner,

thank you for your fast response.

And, by the way thank you very much for your very comprehensive tutorial!! :thumbup: It already helped me in decision making and in building up my plan on how to use the Midi Raider.

Currently, I think I will configure it with 5 preset change and 10 instant access switches. The instant access issue, is something that could be read here in other threads and also on TGP. If I understood it correctly, it is about syncing the midi board switches with the KPA, when changing presets/rigs.

Example: If I have a rig configured with e.g. reverb and wah set to be on. Now, I change to a different rig, where no effects/stomps are set on, the switch on the midi board might still be showing reverb and wah set to "on". Some people are telling, they need to press the switch two or three times, before the status would be in sync for both devices (board & KPA). One way to get around this, should be the fact to programm all presets separately in accordance to the rig settings.

Is that something you could confirm?

• the 5 switches and 10 presets is exactly my configuration...........

as for the issue mentioned. let me do some testing because I saw some times ago that when I go to a preset with the delay instant access switch off, the delay on the kemper remain on thus seeming the Kemper and the PB don't communicate but after some pressing of the switch. is this the issue?

let me do some testing and I will get back to you.

I remember driving the TC electronics GForce with the same method as the kemper and there the G force 'felt' the status of the switches on the PB and reacted accordingly. seems the kemper is not able to communicate.

let me do some further testing, ok?

mic

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• greenblob, this looks quite nice!

As I am about to get a Rocktron Midi Raider, and having studied the user manual, I wanted to ask how you have configured your switches for the stomps and effects. Are you running them in global mode, or have you configured the switches per preset?

How do you deal with the instant access issue when changing presets?

I chose not to use global mode (for IA switching) as I dont really change rigs that much live. Really only use 4 Rigs in a 1.5hr gig, a Crunch and Lead rig of an Evil Robot, and a Clean and Full rig of a Mesa B. I really like the way the kemper responds to git vol knob changes - so a crunch rig doubles as my clean.. I only have any fx on the Lead rig (delay, dB boost and some compression). All other rigs I like have any non treatment fx turned off so I can tinker and choose what I want when were just jamming and writing. I'm not a big fan of changing "amps" mid song.. just sounds cheesy and distracting imo..

This also helps to avoid the IA out of synch issue I believe you were referring to (my description is back in post 12).. all the delays, verbs, boosts etc are generally off on a newly loaded rig so everything synchs 1st button press with no issue if i want to engage em..

I should mention, one of the big reasons I bought the kemper was to get away from my old pedalboard (i have waaaay to many pedals and it was becoming a bit of an addiction :| so i decided to go digital).. was getting very distracted live by pedal changing tap dancing instead of just playing and performing.. thus, I try to avoid changing patches if I can.. obviously the size, weight and repeatable live sound was also a huge seller..
    :thumbup:

• Just something to be aware of :-

Since the new firmware (1.8beta) the guys at Kemper have corrected the way the Kemper deals with the midi messages that are being sent from the foot controller..

I had a problem with mine as I had assigned the four stomps to switches on the all access, the default state on the all access of the switches is set to OFF (so no led is lit when I load a rig, even if the stomp is switched on on the Kemper).

However what happens now is that the kemper processes the message where the all access sends the default state of the swich.... so even if stomp 1 is active when I save the rig, the kemper calls up the rig on the press of the midi controller, but immediatly switches off the distortion stomp..

So now it is necessary to program the default state of these stomps on each patch on the foot controller to match the default state on the rig on the Kemper.... hope this makes sense....

Benefit of this is the LED's on the all access will show the status of the effect on the Kemper.

Thought is was worth sharing in case anyone else has an issue.... I thought I had found a bug... in fact they had fixed one ! :thumbup:

• i confirm that. this time when changing a profile with the All Access I have the kemper FXs status (on/off) set as shown by the instant access status. so even better than before I should say.

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• no. didn't try this. have you? your idea is intriguing though. don't know for sure but I doubt the all access will respond according to kemper midi data, i.e. show some status on the display or else.

EDIT: according to the all access manual it looks like the midi in of the pedalboard receives things like program changes coming from a sequencer, for example. so I don't think we will get any better than this. but I'm not an expert on this........

Edited once, last by michaelmellner ().

• I've not tried it - I currently use a TC GSystem for FX and MIDI controller, and it is famous for not responding to much of anything from MIDI in. I may try using a MIDI monitor to look - that seems like the kind of thing that may have come along at the same time as a change to the way the FX status responds to incoming messages.

It may not be part of the plan at all ( or not scheduled until the KFC comes along).

• i confirm that. this time when changing a profile with the All Access I have the kemper FXs status (on/off) set as shown by the instant access status. so even better than before I should say.

Hi Michealmellner, just a quick question....

When you call up a rig using your all access, and you have some of your instant access switches on and some off as default, do the LED's light up for the ones that are set to on ? Mine don't unless I click a switch.... am I missing a setting somewhere?

I'm set up with 5 instant access switches, in per preset mode.

Thanks
    Mike

• every time I recall a program on the AA with a combination of instant access switches of the 5 I assigned I have the red leds on of every switches which are on. might be because you have the instant access switches per preset instead of global. I have mine on global. but I'm just guessing here. I'm not in my rehearsing room. I will have a clue on monday...........

• So, I'm having some trouble as well. I feel like I'm doing everything it says in both manuals, but when I change presets it switches them correctly on the rocktron but the kemper isn't doing it correctly. I think it has to do with the midi program ch# under system on the kemper, because I don't really understand midi all that well. I thought that as long as the program ch# on the kemper preset you want is corresponds to how its set on the same # on the rocktron it should work. I've gotten frustrated as of late with programming my pedal and I really need some help to motivate me to get out of this funk. Thanks...

• First make sure that Rocktron and KPA are working on the same Midi channel. Set KPA to "Omni" and you're safe. Plug a Midi cable from Rocktron Midi Out to KPA Midi In. A PC# (program change) from the Rocktron can call up any rig you want on the KPA (it has nothing to do with numbers on the KPA-side). Are you in Browse Mode or in Performance Mode?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I knew that I had seen this topic before....the "Search Function" is my friend. 8)

Thanks for doing this. It seems to distill most of what I need to know from 80 pages of Rocktron's manual. :thumbup:

One question: Has anybody made a simple sysex editor program that allows the programming to be done on a computer and downloaded onto the Midi Raider?

Edited once, last by Dlaut ().