...And so its gone..

• OK guys
    I have the 1.1.0 version and have not visited this site for a while. I was excited to know there are newer updated but only to find people with so many issues. My led lights have been fine fine so far and I have no real need to update any time. I had this unit more than 6 months and I'm happy with it. But reading the forum once in while helps and I'm surprised that this led issue has not been responded by the kemper. I'm going to hold on to any updates for a while and if things are not fixed after a while,then I'll have to decide if I really want to keep this unit. I hope they fix the updates.

Same here. Don't feel like you have to update just because everyone says you do. There hasn't been that many significant changes since your FW, it's the same one I'm using too. I haven't had any of the issues these other users describe: dying LED's, Freezing up, Blinking red at shutdown, sound anomalies, etc.

So until there's some meaningful feature additions, I'm completely happy with the earlier FW and have everything I need to make great music. :D

• I have had my KPA since Feb 2012 with no real issues , I see others have also said they have not had led problems
    Could it be a batch problem, ?
    Purchased Feb no led issue just the occasional no boot.
    :)
    It may be interesting to see what time frame the problem ones where purchased in.
    Just a thought
    And hi to all been a member for since feb but tend to read. More than write.
    You all do a great job with in the forum, I have always found my answers here.
    Cheers

Steve
    Mainly my own built valve amps and Kemper

Edited once, last by Stevebeale ().

• I have my Kemper since last year and (together with other members here) I do beta testing of the firmware before release (often many intermediate versions 'till public beta) and I regulary gig with it. Almost all issues above mentionned where related to other issues (corrupted files, faulty installations, user mistakes, high profile count, hardware failures...). The difference in functionality between the 1.1.0 and the 1.5.4 is quite big already and will be even bigger with the next release. I strongly recommend everybody to update at least to the last release version.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ... and my KPA runs actually with the 1.1.0 AND a one and only led is blown....

well, it's the only one for days - knock on wood 8)

greetz

N

• I strongly recommend everybody to update at least to the last release version.

Yep! And isn't that what release versions are there for?
    "...states that the quality is sufficient for mass distribution."

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Yep! And isn't that what release versions are there for?
    "...states that the quality is sufficient for mass distribution."

Oh, you mean the release version where there were NO notes about having less than 1000 profiles or your unit would freeze up? The one where that bug wasn't discovered until many people had installed the FW and encountered problems. That release was obviously not "sufficient for mass distribution."

Kemper is a small company, you can't just rely on their limited design team and tiny group of "beta testers" to ensure a release is stable. It's not prudent to be so naive and recommend to everyone that they follow the same behavior.

• The release notes were stating very clearly that updating with a rig count >1000 would lead to failure (under "known issues"). The difference with other companies is that here the bugs are corrected very quickly, whereas elsewere are just ignored.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• The release notes were stating very clearly that updating with a rig count >1000 would lead to failure (under "known issues"). The difference with other companies is that here the bugs are corrected very quickly, whereas elsewere are just ignored.

C'mon! You'd call 1st line in section "warnings", 3rd line in the document "clearly". It does NOT help at all, if you don't read the release notes. Somebody has to fix this for us :)

• Well, if you don't read the release notes is the same as when you don't read the manual: your fault.

FYI, the release was available for several days before the ">1000 rig count" bug was validated and added to the release notes known issues.

Bugs like that are something that shouldn't make it through beta testing if adequate use case scripts are being followed. All I'm saying is that you can't blame some users for being wary of adopting the latest FW right away on good faith.

• The 1000 Rigs limit is not a Bug but a feature, the memory has been reserved for upcoming new features.

• I have subscribed to this thread because I want to receive email notification on any new developments about the issue of dead LEDs on the KPA frontpanel. Now my inbox is flooded with mails about the "Millenium Bug" and people who need 1000 amps on stage and complain about how difficult it is to handle them all. Why isn't this done in a thread of its own?

For those who search the forum after info about a dead LED I repeat what the support told me a few days ago:

• It's a hardware issue, nothing to do with whatever firmware you load.

• It can only be repaired by sending in your KPA for exchanging the front panel.

• If you wait longer for the right moment to be whithout your Kemp for a week or two this won't do any harm to other circuits inside. Just might be possible that more LEDs go dark. Just don't wait too long until your warranty expires.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• If you wait longer for the right moment to be whithout your Kemp for a week or two this won't do any harm to other circuits inside. Just might be possible that more LEDs go dark.

A week or two? I live in Spain, sent my Kemper back to Thomann 16 days ago and received an email 4 days ago telling me that they had just received it and will contact me again as soon as possible.

• Bugs like that are something that shouldn't make it through beta testing if adequate use case scripts are being followed.

I gotta defend us BETA testers here. The KPA is currently limited to 1000 rigs (although, as you probably know, some user have more rigs with no issues) - that has nothing to do with being a bug or the beta testers not doing their duty

• I gotta defend us BETA testers here. The KPA is currently limited to 1000 rigs (although, as you probably know, some user have more rigs with no issues) - that has nothing to do with being a bug or the beta testers not doing their duty

No need to become defensive. It is only your job to test, someone else should be providing scripts for you.

Again, this was not to scrutinize the semantics of having less than 1000 rigs on your KPA. It was some evidence for not pressuring people to adopt the latest and greatest FW as soon as it comes out. Even if it's called a "release version," there are still undocumented problems. Some people prefer to wait and let more general users provide feedback with their own form of testing. So far, even as a new thread was opened today, FW 1.5.4 obviously sucks. Users should not have to load a FW directly from their USB to resurrect the unit. How would such an issue make it through testing? Just curious.

• How would such an issue make it through testing? Just curious.

Easy: it has not show'd up, otherwise the private beta would have not made it to public beta. The red screen issue has rarely pop up several FW ago already, but it has never locked up a unit ('till now). I've suggested Michael to contact support ASAP and gave him a way to keep working 'till the issue is sorted out. Is that bad?

• [quote='Blackbird',index.php?page=Thread&postID=59591#post59591] Is that bad?

Well, it's bad for Michael because he will most likely be without his KPA. But of course you did the right thing. However, his case supports my practice of waiting before updating to the most current FW. If that bug did not show up in private beta testing, then obviously the group of testers is not large enough or there is a lack of diligence in the use cases being tested. Either way, there is nobody to blame and that's not what this is about, again. Simply update at your own risk, that's all.