Keep the Alto TS112A or more traditional looking alternative?

• So I've had this powered monitor for quite some time and am largely happy with it, with one exception. It sounds best on its side like a wedge or on a stand. Sitting on the ground, I don't care for it much as the bass and highs get a bit exaggerated. So...where do I set my Kemper? I've seen some of you with several different solutions, but I keep thinking I'd like something a bit more traditional in appearance. My criteria is something which looks like a guitar speaker cab but is full range and reasonably flat response. Active or passive, doesn't matter. I think kpa-solutions has one and of course there's the Power Engine 60 (though not really full range). Any other options?

• If you really consider to change your setup just because of the look, than I wood built an open speaker cab with no speaker inside and a top with no amp inside. Than you just put the Alto and your KPA inside. This way you can change the "ingrediences" to you taste and you have always the look of a real amp/cab. You also could make it foldable for transportation.

• Only options I'm aware of aren't exactly frugal: Atomic, Blue, Matrix, Xitone, Jet City and RMC.

Doesn't absolutely have to be frugal. Looking at all the options. But its got to be smallish, like my Alto or better yet like a 1X12 cab. Do you have a like for Blue, never heard of them...

If you really consider to change your setup just because of the look, than I wood built an open speaker cab with no speaker inside and a top with no amp inside. Than you just put the Alto and your KPA inside. This way you can change the "ingrediences" to you taste and you have always the look of a real amp/cab. You also could make it foldable for transportation.

Functionality trumps looks. The goal is not to bring extra unnecessary stuff to gigs and I don't want to mask my gear, simply have a rig which looks more traditional. I'm fine with the Kemper's looks, actually quite like them. Rather shocked with the popularity of modeling units that no one has built a traditional looking but full range cab with a coax speaker. Guess Atomic and Matrix come the closest...

• IMHO you own one of the best FRFR speakers available today, I'd say keep it. The way I see it, a stand is mandatory with FRFR speakers so I've made my peace with always having to lug one around - got a very lightweight one which came with a carrying bag, so no sweat. I was considering getting a TS110A because of it being lighter that the TS112A but from the frequency response graphs the 112 seems to have better midrange response where it matters for guitar (right below 1kHz), so I might be getting a 112 myself.

• Would it be possible to get this same bigger cab with a non-CX 112 Camper model? Is there a reason for the cab size difference between the 112 and the 112CX?

Everything is possible. .. We design every cab for the speaker. We don´t choose a cab and look for a speaker that fits into it. So the cabs are calculated especially for the speaker. The 12" coax of the CX needs some more volume und the broadband speaker of the first Camper 112 needs less. We tried to build the cab for the Camper 112 very small. A bigger cab would give more low ends. So .. it´s your choice.

• Everything is possible. .. We design every cab for the speaker. We don´t choose a cab and look for a speaker that fits into it. So the cabs are calculated especially for the speaker. The 12" coax of the CX needs some more volume und the broadband speaker of the first Camper 112 needs less. We tried to build the cab for the Camper 112 very small. A bigger cab would give more low ends. So .. it´s your choice.

I tend to like oversized 112 cab but i don't know if it well translates in the context of your flat range guitar speakers, the ones you put in the regular camper amp? Add to this that there is much more low end in the Camper 212 (which is normal) so maybe it could be a good compromise.

• I tend to like oversized 112 cab but i don't know if it well translates in the context of your flat range guitar speakers, the ones you put in the regular camper amp? Add to this that there is much more low end in the Camper 212 (which is normal) so maybe it could be a good compromise.

Maybe this helps:
    Camper 112 = not FRFR, but flat response, 12" broadband
    Camper 112 CX = FRFR, 12" coax
    broadband in a 112 CX cab = not FRFR, but more low end

• Maybe this helps:
    Camper 112 = not FRFR, but flat response, 12" broadband
    Camper 112 CX = FRFR, 12" coax
    broadband in a 112 CX cab = not FRFR, but more low end

Yes, but what I understand is that your flat response (non FRFR coax) speaker have to be used with the "cab sim on" so it's a lot different than a regular guitar speaker.

• IMHO you own one of the best FRFR speakers available today, I'd say keep it. The way I see it, a stand is mandatory with FRFR speakers so I've made my peace with always having to lug one around - got a very lightweight one which came with a carrying bag, so no sweat. I was considering getting a TS110A because of it being lighter that the TS112A but from the frequency response graphs the 112 seems to have better midrange response where it matters for guitar (right below 1kHz), so I might be getting a 112 myself.

Its certainly great compared against other options at a similar price. I've not compared against more expensive solutions, and spec sheets are almost always exaggerated so not sure about best all around available today. For me, a big advantage of using a direct solution is less gear to tote to a gig so I'm torn on the stand solution. Ideally, I prefer 1 trip from the car to the venue...