Concept of Cab Maker 2.0

• Hello,

First of all, sorry for my English

I had an idea but I don't know if it is possible...

As CK said before, the Cab part of a profile is way more than a simple impulse cab. By Replacing a CAB kipr by only one converted Impulse, you may lose a lot of informations that give the Cab profiles this unique full richness in sounding... Moreover, the fact we can't mix impulses, or cab kipr profiles may be limitating. Perhaps we could get the best of both worlds in a small software

Why not a "Cab Maker Mixer" which allows new several functions.

1 - A kind of Mixir2 more limited which allow you to mix 2 or 3 impulses or Kipr (I know Mixir2 already does it very well).
    2 - Two routing possibilities to Mix (serial or parrallel), and % shown for each slot. Simple interface interface with 2 or several slots to load one file in each.
    3 - Loading of 2 formats : wav (44.1khz), and kipr. The best could be we can listen to the result, so conversion from kipr to wav before mixing if possible. Of course, impossible to export the kipr to wav converted files to keep the proprietary stuff. The only format for final export will stay kipr.
    4 - Phasing issues avoided like in mixIR2.
    5 - Normalize before exporting and level control before loading to avois any clipping like Mixir2 does. Export in only one format : kipr

Application can be great : mixing 2 kipr files, or mixing a rich kipr Cab profile to a wav impulse and get unique colors while keeping the richness of a real kipr cab profile straightly get from a real profiling...

One application could be to add a tonematched eq to an existing cab profile, or to match 2 cab profiles in serial of parrallel...

This is a rough idea but this kind of software, which has to stay simple and limited, could be a great add to Kemperland !!

Anyone else would also like this ?

My 2 cents

• Just wondering, what is it exactly about using an IR which is so attractive to you? When I used the GSP1101 and/or Peavey's Revalver it was largely a mix and match nightmare trying to find the right combinations of stuff to deliver the tones I wanted where I've found many Kemper profiles which just deliver the goods. I recently tried to revisit some of those IRs in the Kemper and didn't like them at all compared to the stock cabinets of my favorite profiles.

• I want to know, too?
    I understand for very experimental guys cabmaker can be' potentially' useful.
    But as IMO cabs in the KPA give me far superior results than any IR Collection I personally don't want to go back to these old paradigms (i.e. loading gazillions of IR's just to find one that fits or fits 'better').
    That's so "yesterday" if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:
    I simply son't See a "best of both worlds" here?
    Show me one IR superior to a Kemper cab!

• Well, I'm with you guys that the cab maker is an unnecessary tool. With the sperimental pack, I actually found a lot of profiles that sound good with the cabs. If you have free time then it's kind of fun to play around with, but other than that it's not needed. I'm not really sure what or if there is a fuss.

• Hi all,

I also trust the Kemper cabs are far better than the IRs.

However, perhaps I was misunderstood, the idea I had was :
    A tool for :
    1 - mixing 2 kemper cab profiles (kipr) in parrallel or in serial
    2 - mixing one IR to a Kemper profile, ie adding a color to a Kemper profile. for instance, imagine I take one Tills recto profile which sounds great but I am not pleased with the Hi-End, and even with all the options available with the Kemper, I can't tweak it exactly like I want. Adding the color of IR could be great. We would keep the richness of the Kemper profile, but adding a color to it like I want. Even better, I could tonematch with a full Kemper profile, then mixing the Ozone Eq curve to the Kemper Cab profile...

Mixing 2 IRs is not useful, I only have MixIR2 which is awesome for this...

• Ahhhh. Gotcha. In that case, what would be even better to simply allow the loading of 2 cabinets within the Kemper rather than external software. Add controls to route them stereo or mono with a mix parameter. That might actually be cool.

• Ahhhh. Gotcha. In that case, what would be even better to simply allow the loading of 2 cabinets within the Kemper rather than external software. Add controls to route them stereo or mono with a mix parameter. That might actually be cool.

I agree but I dont know if within the kemper they can do it, might be perhaps too dsp consuming...

• Actually, I wish they come with a full stack mixer :) That could remove the need of a lot of double tracking recording when needing to blend 2 different amp characteristic together... but if full stack is impossible then I agree at least cabinet mixing will be really useful...

• I think that a speaker distortion and some resonance control should be included in the cab maker 2.0
    I think that those features might take the IR's to a more real result.
    BTW imho KPA delivers the goods at its best with matched amp/cab.

• As far as I see it, when you're looking for an authentic replication of a tube amp through a speaker, the profiling technique of the Kemper is superior to all other approaches there have been (and I know of), because the Kemper does not only have a static picture of the sound but a dynamic picutre. Tom Wendt explains this in one of the videos he has published on youtube for Kemper. What the Kemper does (and you can hear this when you profile) is it takes various pictures of the dynamic response over a period of time and thus can calculate how the amp / speaker responds to various input situations. This is THE difference to me, because we end up with dynamic sounds that really get very very close to the real thing. So why now bother with rather static Cab IRs? As some people have mentioned (and Tom Wendt explains on a musotalk video on youtube) this Cab maker thing is for the ones who want to experiment with sounds (e.g. how does the guitar signal sound if you use a cathedral reverb IR as a guitar speaker?). My conclusion is: I have no need to bother with the cab maker and all the different speaker / cabinet IRs out there on the net, because I know for a fact that all these are inferior to what the Kemper does when it profiles an amp. It would be a step back or merely experimental.