Studio Monitors

• HI :) !

i want to buy monitors

im fed up using my dads Stereo System.

maby start mixing and recording stuff.

but courently, i want them mainly for playing my kemper on them.

i heard some monitors and im not sure which will do better..

yamaha hs50

or

krk rokit 5

the yamaha hs50 is really flat, real an with a lot of middle

krk rokit 5 is heavy and bassy, that is awesome too.

i wondered maby there are people here that had experience more than me will help me be more sure about my choise.

• these ikey monitors get some praise here, they're cheap and supposed to sound good.
    i haven't tried them personally and neither seen them in a lot of studios, but you might give them a try.

• these ikey monitors get some praise here, they're cheap and supposed to sound good.
    i haven't tried them personally and neither seen them in a lot of studios, but you might give them a try.

Big +1 on this! I choose them over the KRK and the Yamaha (tried all 3 side by side) and at that point in time price was not the issue. Get the M808 mkII, small price difference to the 5" but big improvement in sound. :thumbup:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• The Behringer TRUTH's are cheap and a lot better than their reputation IMHO.

Once you're used to them it is easy to be consistent in your mixing results.

And they sound good with the KPA!

Edited once, last by Pick909 ().

• Maybe it's the version you had... I have a pair of KRK VXT6s and 'hyped' is the last thing I'd describe them as.

Sorry it was abit general. I was referring to the rokit series. Ive heard that the VXt6 are very good. I do need to get a good pair of monitors. Ive heard good things about Eve.

Regarding cheaper options, I looked into the iKey, it claims to do an awful lot for the money! Are there any SOS readers here? I missed the copy with the review of the Equator D5's, id love to know what the general verdict was considering their claims.

• Sorry it was abit general. I was referring to the rokit series. Ive heard that the VXt6 are very good. I do need to get a good pair of monitors. Ive heard good things about Eve.

No need to apologize, I was just wondering if we had the same thing. :) I have a pair of Rokit8s and they aren't bad, but the VXTs are a better (and pricier) option by far.

• I've never considered such an option, but here's what Jay Mitchell just wrote on TGP about his Atomic CLR:

The CLR is more accurate and transparent than many widely-praised "studio" monitors. If you can find an appropriate place to set a pair - they really are a bit larger than the typical nearfield - they will provide an excellent reference for recording.
    The dimensions of the space determine bass behavior, regardless of the size of the source. The smaller the space, the more ragged and position-dependent the LF response will be, whether you use a nearfield monitor or a CLR.

The CLR are possibly out of reach for some in terms of cost, but the possibility (if they keep the promise) to just use a couple of cabs both for studio and rehearsals and stage could by far compensate for the extra cost (at the expense of having to move stuff back and forward).

I've not had the opportunity to test them, but - speaking in terms of amplifying the KPA - I doubt there is currently something better for (even more) the money on the market. and, the perspective to have exactly the some sound in all the circumstances (apart from local PAs) is amazing in itself. 8o
    :D

• I have the Yamaha's and I really love them... KPA straight into the back of one of them and I get beautiful fender cleans with my strat that sound amazing... I also listen to my music through them... I was skeptical at first as I wanted them for mixing monitors, people said not lots of bass but they really do have a lot of bass. If you put bass into them, you'll get it out.. for example if I listen to Blakroc (black keys) through them I already have too much bass if they are at normal listening volumes.... amazing sounding ... :whistling:

steve

ps... they are a good price too... go them for 300€ the pair

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Get a pair of Yamaha HS80s, they will be more than enough for anything it sounds like you are doing. They sound great, are great to mix on (really show any harsh upper frequencies), and are probabl the most accurate and widely used studio monitors under 1000 bucks. There is probably a reason you will see a pair of them in just about any studio walk into, they are great reference monitors. You can get a set of them for 400 bucks, really can't beat that!

• Get a pair of Yamaha HS80s, they will be more than enough for anything it sounds like you are doing. They sound great, are great to mix on (really show any harsh upper frequencies), and are probabl the most accurate and widely used studio monitors under 1000 bucks. There is probably a reason you will see a pair of them in just about any studio walk into, they are great reference monitors. You can get a set of them for 400 bucks, really can't beat that!

The 80s are reported by many to be a little high on certain mid frequencies and maybe if you have a pretty large room these might be good, but for smaller rooms the 50s are better... I can hardly turn mine up in my apartment...

• +1 for HS80's
    I picked up a pair a few weeks ago, love them! Definite improvement over my old Samsons :)

Excellent tones with KPA.

I also went from samsons to these, they really blow the samsons out of the water