What's the official/actual word on the 1000 rig limit?

• Has this been said to be the official way things currently are and are going to be for the future? I certainly hope not - I can't see any good reason for putting this kind of limitation on what is a very forward thinking and paradigm breaking piece of equipment. I have already bought over 1000 rigs from Andy, and the idea of not being able to access them all doesn't seem logical to me. I haven't upgraded since 1.7 seeing as how the limit seems to have been imposed on all firmwares since. Any official word on this?

• Well, not official - but I don't see your point. You can keep as many rigs as you like - but there's a limit of 1000 rigs that can be stored in the KPA. So if store 200.000 on your hard drive / usb whatever device that's fine. You can have various USB drives ready. However, not more than 1000 in your KPA at the same time. When I think about it: let's say an amp has about 5 sweet settings - that would mean you have a control over 200 guitar amps with 5 different settings each. Or a different example: If you are looking for a specific sound and you take 2 minutes to test each rig that would mean you will have to spend 2000 minutes to go through all the rigs you have in your KPA. ... Takes 33 hours to go through all of the 1000 rigs. I guess, for most situations it might even be a better idea if the KPA had a restriction of a maximum of 50 rigs. The more choices you have the harder it is to make a choice and making a choice is what a musician has to do all the time.

• I did the v2 (newest) upgrade and then out of curiosity did a factory profile restore...there wasn't enough memory to load them all, but, it currently is showing 1023 profiles.

• The longer I have the lunchbox, the fewer rigs I tend to use. It's tiring going through so many, so I have my favorite few and tend to stick with them. It's not so bad hanging around a '52 Deluxe most of the time ... :D

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Well, not official - but I don't see your point. You can keep as many rigs as you like - but there's a limit of 1000 rigs that can be stored in the KPA. So if store 200.000 on your hard drive / usb whatever device that's fine. You can have various USB drives ready. However, not more than 1000 in your KPA at the same time. When I think about it: let's say an amp has about 5 sweet settings - that would mean you have a control over 200 guitar amps with 5 different settings each. Or a different example: If you are looking for a specific sound and you take 2 minutes to test each rig that would mean you will have to spend 2000 minutes to go through all the rigs you have in your KPA. ... Takes 33 hours to go through all of the 1000 rigs. I guess, for most situations it might even be a better idea if the KPA had a restriction of a maximum of 50 rigs. The more choices you have the harder it is to make a choice and making a choice is what a musician has to do all the time.

I totally see his point. He's not only a player but also a producer/engineer. He needs to call up sounds as fast as possible for a given context and to a particular client's taste.. Totally loading a new set of rigs off a usb sticks is wholly inefficient and a time waste. A computer Librarian over usb would solve all this.

• I totally see his point. He's not only a player but also a producer/engineer. He needs to call up sounds as fast as possible for a given context and to a particular client's taste.. Totally loading a new set of rigs off a usb sticks is wholly inefficient and a time waste. A computer Librarian over usb would solve all this.

Exactly. If there is actually a memory limitation that doesn't allow for more than 1000, that's one thing (which I seriously doubt is the case, especially with performance mode now adding 625 rigs). Otherwise, the whole point of a box like the KPA is to allow for doing WAY more than was previously possible. Arbitrarily putting a 1000 rig limit seems contrary to the point of pushing technology to me. I think the user-by-user argument of "well, I don't need more than 50/100/200/etc., so why should anyone?" is short sighted.

• To be honest, a librarian would be nice for editing names/tags but how exactly would it make things any smoother than you can already manage manually? I have a folder on my computer called "Profiles". Within that folder, are folders full of profiles. One folder contains copies of my backups, another all my amp factory stuff, another soundside stuff, and another stuff of the exchange. Within the Amp factory and Soundside folder, they are further broken down and categorized. I learned early on to immediately delete from both the Profiler and my backup folder stuff which I do not like to keep things tidy. If I ran a studio, I'd likely keep several sticks with backups on them of specific amp collections (ex high gain, vintage, etc) as well as take a backup after every session in order to save a copy with the project so it could easily be recalled later. I'd bet loading a backup of a session would be infinitely faster than trying to navigate 1,000+ profiles trying to find which one was used for a certain track.

• All I would need is the feature 'Play Rigs directly from USB Stick (without import)'

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de