Posts by Kaschko

I don’t really understand these posts. It kind of comes off as though you’ve missed the point of the unit and that you’re not using the technology to it’s intended purpose. The shortcomings you’ve outlined are more to do with your approach than the Kemper.

Most of what you’ve said actually points to the fact that you haven’t liked the profiles you’ve been trying. If you had real life amp sounds that you liked the sound of, then why not profile these? You could capture these at any volume and EQ setting which would have allowed you to get the sweet spot you needed.

The other point about the Kemper being hard to use in a recording situation with the band present etc. just comes down to poor planning. If you haven’t found a sound you like, doing it in an attended session is barely going to help.

Maybe just read my post again before venting…

The main point of my post was to say goodbye to a community that I really appreciated. And you’re free to believe that I just missed the point, I was told that for over a year and I said it myself to plenty people who criticized the Kemper. In the end, I picked what worked better for me, that doesn’t mean I’m telling you that you’re wrong liking your device.

Also, almost all of your assumptions about me and my approach are just plain wrong. Neither did I not find Kemper sounds I liked in certain contexts nor is it that simple to properly profile someone else’s amp at every volume. My new amp comes with an IR that was recorded with a mic that alone costs 1.500 USD. Just because you say something is simple that doesn’t make it true…

In the end, I believe that my new setup is more practical and sounds better than what I could achieve with the Kemper and that’s really all I care about.

Since I didn’t intend this to be a controversial discussion I’m logging out now but wish all of you the best. Keep rocking.

Interesting that you went from a digital Kemper to a digital Fender amp :/ I do understand having just one amp and go from there but… you could have easily done the same thing with the Kemper choosing a Fender profile and just use the front knobs to control Bass, Mid, Treble and Reverb. And added pedals.

That is a misconception. The Kemper profiles are only snapshots. The Kemper EQ doesn't work like the real amp EQ. The Kemper also takes pedals differently and it doesn't come with a speaker Kabinet that perfectly matches the profile. But of course, YMMV. When I exchanged the Kemper with the Tone Master, the sound engineer looked at me and smiled. Everybody in the room (6 band members) could immediately tell that the sound was far better than the ten or so profiles we tried on the first day of recording. Different tastes, different solutions.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say goodbye to everyone in this forum since I sold my Kemper and am moving on to a different setup.

I've received many helpful replies on this forum and want to say thank you to everyone who was always so eager to help. The Kemper is a complex device and this forum is something like an ever-growing manual. I'm sure you will keep it going as long as there are Kemper users, and that's a growing group of musicians.

It took me more than a year now to realize that the Kemper isn't for me. I don't think it's a bad machine at all, but in the end, it produced more frustration than joy.

I know I'm not alone on this forum. There are many of you (most even) who swear on the Kemper. For those, it's the best investment ever made. But the hundreds of pages here in the forum are also a good indication for the amount of people who aren't quite satisfied with their sound and want to figure out how to make the Kemper a better experience.

Reading all the positive comments and defenses for the Kemper I thought for over a year now that I must have been doing something wrong. Maybe I just didn't like my guitar? Sold it and bought a new one. Maybe my new guitar needs better pickups? Bought better pickups. Maybe my headphones are wrong, or my monitor speakers, or I'm doing something wrong with the Kabinet? Watched hours of youtube tutorials. Maybe change the definition, cab shift, use Cut the Mix EQ etc.

For over a year now, the Kemper kept me very busy trying to dial in a tone I liked while the forum tried to convince me that this was just how it's supposed to sound and that I just wasn't used to the miced amp sound. I knew this couldn't be quite true (since I actually know the sound of mic'ed amps much better than the amp in the room sound) but in the end I just told myself I'd probably have to believe it.

I was okay doing all of this at home, but the first time I went into a rehearsal with a bigger band and a few days later into the recording studio, the Kemper just completely failed on me. You cannot search within hundreds of profiles, change definition, use EQ presets etc. while the band is waiting for you. I used a real amp instead, took me 5 minutes to sound good in the mix with each of my guitars. Better sound, better experience.

I now bought the Fender Tone Master Super Reverb with some Catalinbread pedals and plugged it in. Within 10 minutes I was able to produce tones that I couldn't achieve with the Kemper in 13 months. It just sounded beautiful, exactly what I had hoped for. It sounded great via both the speaker cabinet (4 real P10Rs just sound better than the Kemper cab trying to reproduce one of them) and via the cab sim XLR out and the simulated ribbon mic. Even more so, the sound in the monitor speakers matched the sound coming from the real cab. That's something I never managed to achieve with the Kemper Kabinet. I know many on this forum had the same experience and read that some here even switched out their favorite profiles because they didn't sound good with the Kabinet.

The main difference here is that with a real amp I could dial in the sound perfectly for each guitar and pickup configuration. When I use M Britt, Tone Junkie or any of the others, all I can do is hope that their snapshots fit my guitar. And most often than not that wasn't the case.

The snapshot concept of the Kemper is my biggest gripe with it. There's so much you can do with a real amp, especially if it has an EQ section that is highly interactive. When you change the EQ on a Kemper profile it doesn't work like the real amp would. If a profile is too far off in EQ settings, there's not much you can do. That's why I paid hundreds of dollars for profiles without ever finding my holy grail tone.

I hope that one a day a new version of the Kemper will adapt the EQ section of a profiled amp. I don't think this technology would be impossible. While profiling the musician would turn and twist all the amp's knobs for the Kemper to study how they react. Or one would produce several profiles in different settings that then can be morphed into a master profile. When that day has come, I'll give the Kemper another chance.

My final verdict is that the Kemper is great for everyone who can profile their own amps. Then it's unbeatable (at least for going into FOH). It's a machine for people who already know a lot about amps and effects and have the tone they want already in their head.

I don't think the Kemper is perfect for those who are beginners, just joining a band and not having tried hundreds of amps. It's a great tool to somewhat educate yourself about sound differences, but it's not a great tool to find sounds if you don't already expect a certain sound. It's the opposite of plug and play. It's the opposite of intuitive.

Anyway, I don't regret having owned a Kemper and I learned a lot about guitar recording on this forum. Most of that knowledge I will be able to use for my new setup too. Again, I want to thank this community and hope you all will continue to play and make music.

So long, take care everyone.

I dont do much tweaking to my HS8 monitors. I tend to leave profiles as-is in that respect. Having shuffled through more than a hundred quality commercial profiles, the average profile sounds multiples better through my monitors vs the Kab, even in FRFR mode. To my ears anyway. A good profile is created with the intention of sounding like an amp would on a recording, or otherwise hitting the listeners ears directly in a live situation. So I’ve come to expect great amp tones at my desk…just puzzled as to why I dont get seem to get that same sound quality in FRFR mode…

Exact same experience and I own the HS5.

You can of course set the Kabinet to Full Range and have the studio monitor or PA sound on the Kabinet as well.

The more often I read statements like this, the more I think my Kemper Kone must have been broken before it arrived. Alas, in full range mode it sounds nothing like our PA or my monitor speaker. Very different EQ with shrill highs and boomy bass. I don’t even bring it to rehearsals or recording sessions anymore and only go directly into the PA.

You may have spend sometime "tuning" your sound to your Studio monitors.

This! I think that‘s usually the issue. Problem is that in my experience the studio monitors are much closer the PA/FOH sound than what comes out of the Kabinet (kinda self evident since you get the sound of mic‘ed cab). So I don‘t see much reason to „tune“ the profiles to the Kabinet, unless you use it as your main sound source on stage/rehearsal.

I have my cab since a year or so and unfortunately it‘s the same for me. During band rehearsal I decided to turn it off completely now and only listen to the PA. Since so many people seem to love the Kabinet I assumed I just don‘t like the amp in the room sound with studio profiles. That being said, clean tones are ok, just not overdriven tones and especially not fuzz.

No, you don't. PROFILER and Remote work reliably with the original cable. If you intend to use longer and third party cables, PoE is required as described in the manual.

However cables can break and if they do, they are not reliable anymore. Check your cable e.g. try another short Ethernet cable. Check if the plug has a good fit on the PROFILER side and the LEDs in the socket are constantly busy.

The cable has been plugged in and unplugged maybe 6 times since I own it, so I would be fairly disappointed if it could break that easily. I checked the connections. It sits very tight in the remote but is kinda wobbly at the Profiler connection. However, when the remote turns itself off I can turn it on again by unplugging and plugging it in again at the remote. That's why I'm not sure the fault is the wobbly cable end at the Profiler - but what do I know.

A different ethernet cable would indeed have to be purchased.

During every band rehearsal my remote turns itself off at some point. I have to unplug it and plug it in again to make it work (I use the connection at the remote to do so). Bit scared of the first gig with the Kemper now.

I use the cable that came with the new remote (not second hand).

Any known solution to make this thing gig worthy?

Hey, can you help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I'm doing everything they're doing in the Kemper video tutorial, even using the same exact pedal.

I have the Dunlop Volume X.

Guitar is connected to the INPUT of my Kemper Powered Head.

I connect the volume/expression pedal with a guitar cable from the pedal's EXP output to PEDAL 3 on my remote. (Also tried connecting it to PEDAL 1 on the back of my Kemper = same result).

In the SYSTEM settings it seems to recognize the pedal since it doesn't show <not plugged> on the channel that I use for the pedal.

Mode: Pedal Type 1

Function: Volume Pedal

I guess the thing should work immediately but it has no effect.

When I go to the RIG page for Volume Pedal Settings the volume bar doesn't move when I move the pedal.

When I click CALIBRATE in the SYSTEM settings nothing happens.

So... what am I doing wrong? Is my new pedal broken?