Posts by Per

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tonights noodle

Thanks Southdakota , MuddySludge and ST - the drums are superior drummer. In this case the Fields of Stone sound pack.

Nice classic car there ST ! Prescient as I today joined full time at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (their advanced Silicon Valley wing) . :)

Thanks BayouTexan I used the TAF profiles for the bass, not the Bassman but the one above it in the Kemper bass profiles pack, I find I’m gravitating towards bass that has a pretty full range these days. Sometimes I slap a pultec style eq on it to attenuate the lower frequencies a little but I find myself doing less and less stuf to the raw tracks these days. Maybe not so great for variety of sound, but good for churning out noodles quickly.

Thanks for checking it out Monkey_Man , funnily enough I actually started with the end on this one! But I have to admit I had a fondness for the track as a whole and hoped it would get more attention.

I think I’m now getting towards the stage where the elephant in the room (outside of my awful voice which I can’t seem to do anything about and lessons wouldn’t change, but it doesn’t matter cos when I get some good songs eventually someone else can do the singing and I can do the counting of all that pesky cash instead :P) is the songwriting itself, obviously playing skills can always be improved but I’d be lying to myself if I said they’re getting in the way except when it comes to soloing. So I think it won’t hurt to do some studying of the art of songwriting, gonna go see who has good YouTube videos on it now.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Todays music, couldn't come up with any lyrics so it's just an instrumental.

A very quick instrumental noodle, just a riff thing that as it turned out was in 7/8 but I liked the mood

Come on, your singing is great. It has that Ozzy vibe to it which makes it distinctive and interesting, I mean if you don’t want to be a multimillionaire rock superstar with number ones in every country and would rather be singing “walking in the air” then that’s your choice, but you have a god given talent, lean into it.

Tonights noodle, a bit later than usual, but extra busy day only got finished with rebuilding the mitre saw station fence by 6pm...

Thanks waraba and deadman42 i went for a slightly more modern mix so higher gain, more forward drums, less overdrive more distortion less verb bass, slightly less mids. I couldn’t quite get his vocal tones in there, so I tried for his fx chain instead and the sorts of notes and lyrics I thought he might go for. The guitar riffs I tried to listen to and think about how Randy might do things, chordal based, natural minor modulation, lots of crunchy double stops and power chords, muted bass string riffs, combination of low and high stuff in a single riff that to me kinda sounds like he really wanted a second guitarist in there so the high notes could ring put longer than they do in the finished riff (he sounds like he’s composing almost a classical Bach or Handel like small arrangement then trying to play it all on a single instrument) with the occasional hammer/pulloff flourish (improvised I assume) lick. Then for bass I think I deviated and went a bit Motörhead with smacking the crud out of the thing like Lemmy used to to get that crunchy drive with the “warm bass” profile, which did take the space out that was there before but was too fun to stop playing.

Saw a certain marketing video by a popular music store earlier today that inspired me to try and rip off a few riffs and the style of a certain guitarist and maybe the effects chain of certain related vocalist too. Didn't really nail it but it was fun to try the style and tap into my adolescent self.

Also interesting to see if I'd improved my mixing of heavier sounds since I started this noodle challenge, which I think there is some improvement. Less compression for sure. Although it is of course much easier to mix just two guitars (really one most of the time, but I doubled up for the intro riff and once again when it repeats), bass, drums and vocals than the ten or more guitar tracks I was building up in earlier noodles.