Posts by timowens

I personally think these profiles are sick. This amp has great saturation which I think lets you get very close to the "brown sound". Friedman is a genius and you are a lucky man to have that amp. Thanks so much for sharing these!

Ps - these profiles have sick amounts of gain. I get the best sound by turning my guitar's volume knob down. If you have the time at all to do lower gain profiles too that would be really great. Thanks!

Thanks Hoth, this is one of those amps that when you first plug into it and hit that first chord you know that there is something special going on. I planned on doing some more profiles this afternoon but we got hit by a pretty good monsoon storm so I had to unplug everything due to lightning in the area, maybe later this week if time permits.

Wow- very good profiles- very full, thick but still articulate. I just compared them with the Marshall rigs I gig with and I may use these tomorrow night- that's how much i like them! What mic did younuse to profile? Also I saw the cab is a 1x12 and it says Soundside- did you per chance do this at Armin's?

Thanks so much!

Thank you. I used an Audix i5 mic and the cab was my Avatar Vintage 112 Closed Back. I don't know why it says Armin except that I use his profiles (they are my favorite) so somehow his name got mixed in there.

BTW, the cab is loaded with a Scumback M75.

wow very nice collection !

except this is why i hate mounting stuff in a rack enclosure , how much of a pain is it to keep reaching into the back of the kemper and plugging and unplugging cables when its mounted in that rack? I keep mine out of the rack and its a little bit easier .

It's actually not that bad for me, the rack case is just sitting on the amp stand, when I need to access the back of the KPA I just pick up the rack and lay it on its side.

Here are a couple of thoughts...

The inductance is half when the speakers are in parallel and twice in series (just like resistance).
    At 4 ohms you are using less windings on the output transformer and at 16 ohms you are using more.

I don't know to what degree this should affect the tone or if would affect it at all. But there is a difference in the profiles.

Ever heard about the Series/Parallel vs. Parallel/Series thing. That is where you wire your 4x12 cab in Series/Parallel or Parallel/Series. They say the resulting difference in inductance makes a difference in tone because of how the cab interacts with the tube power section of the amp. Well tonight I tried it with the KPA, I was running two 8 ohm 112 cabs and I tried wiring them in parallel for 4 ohms and I tried wiring them in series for 16 ohm and sure enough there was a noticeable difference, the 4 ohm configuration sounded better, it was a lot tighter (for lack of a better word). Now I'm sure there are a lot of variables at play, like how accurate the output transformer is at each impedance setting, but the point is, it made a noticeable difference in the resulting profile. So, if you haven't tried Series/Parallel vs. Parallel/Series you might want to try it to see how it affects your profiles.

Update, I haven't spent enough time with the Dirty Shirley to really know how to dial it in but I couldn't resist profiling it. So I threw an i5 in front of it and hit profile. Search for "Dirty Shirley" under Amp Profile in the Rig Exchange. There are two profiles, both are exactly the same except one is using the high input and the other is using the low input on the amp.

I just got this amp and I haven't spent enough time with it yet to know how to dial it in but I couldn't resist profiling it. So I threw an Audix i5 in front of it and hit profile. There are two profiles, both are exactly the same except one is using the high input and the other is using the low input.

Try it with some old Zepplin, AC/DC, Bad Co, etc. What do ya think, is this amp a keeper?

Just search for "Dirty Shirley" under Amp Profiles in the Rig Exchange...

Is that the ELX112p? Do you find it to be a touch boomy? I'd love to know what settings your using in the KPA master EQ section, and on the back of the EV. Thanks!

Yes it is an ELX112p. It can sound a touch boomy depending on the profile, but I actually run it flat with no EQ on the KPA. I'm really wanting to try the Yamaha DXR10 next.

And BTW this is how I understand the KEMPER. I can't believe that people go and sell out all their tube amps after the they got a Kemp. Doing different profiles from your amps is like taking snapshots of your kids while they grow ...

That's not even all of them, I do need to start selling a few off, but a few like the Splawn, CarolAnn and Friedman are pretty special, I don't know if I could sell those.

Brian, thanks for the detailed report. I'm starting to lean more towards the Audix i5, at first I found it a touch bright but the more I try it the more I like it. I also have a e609 and e906 but so far I haven't had much luck with them, I might do another set of profiles with one of them for the heck of it. But, I have another special amp arriving today so I might just focus on getting some profiles of it next :)

Tim, thanks for your systematic approach and work!
    Using the provided information I tagged your profiles with the KIPR Tag Editor. Here are all 100 tagged profiles as zip file. Maybe you could put them somewhere more appropriate. The csv file used for batch editing is included as well.

Wow, thanks for doing that! I added your zip file to the same DropBox folder, it is named "triptik_experiment (Tags by trebie).zip". I'll have to check out that KIPR Tag Editor.

So here's my reasoning behind all this. I like to compare the different profiles to learn how each mic sounds in each position. As DonPeterson pointed out, there are basically 5 different amp settings profiled multiple times, Clean, Lead-1, Lead-2, Lead-3 and Lead-4. I really like the Lead-2 settings on the amp so I setup my Ground Control Pro as follows, Test-1 is midi 1, Test-2 is midi 2, Test-3 is midi 3 and Test-4 is midi 4. Then I decide on 4 profiles that I want to compare and I set the midi #'s to 1,2,3 and 4 on the profiles, now I can switch between all four profiles by simply hitting a foot switch on the GCP. The KPA makes this easy, it only takes a few seconds to change the midi #'s on the profiles so I can quickly arrange 4 different profiles to compare to each other.