Posts by ckemper

The problem with this stomp is not how it immitates the real TS, because the immitation is very well done.
    The major problem comes with the TS which is absolutely not a transparent stomp, making the sound "honky".
    I really like the pure sound of amps, that's why I would prefer a Xotic BB (like in the axe-fx) that won't change the sound signature of the amp !
    Please Kemper, think about it ;(

About what?
    A Pure Booster?

CK

The a/b feature is great to have, AND it would be nice to be able to mute the signal to the real amp, BUT unless you have your amp in a completely sound proof room where you're not hearing anything other than what's coming out your monitors, you will never really be able to accurately A/B that way.

But yes, you are. The sound of the reference amp, when bleeding in just softly, will not harm the A/B comparison. We've been doing this for ages. The only little problem is, that the profile will appear a bit different, once the A/B is finished, and the reference amp is switched off.

CK

Question...when I switch between the reference amp and the KPA, it does not mute the direct out signal to the amp. Is there a way to make that happen?

This is done in purpose. If the reference amp was muted, when you switch to the profile, the A/B comparison would be bad. Even the slightest direct sound that you hear from your reference amp will affect your perception when you do the A/B comparison.
    Try to pull the cable whenever you switch to the profile. When the slightest sound of the reference amp was bleeding thru the air into your room, you will miss it now, making the A/B comparison fail.

Anyway, in a future update you will have the ability to mute the reference amp by switching to the browser mode.

CK

+1 on the tube screamer. i can live with all other effects how they are at the moment, but this little green pedal is just ESSENTIAL.

the difference to my maxon OD808 in front of the kemper is just enormous

The difference to my TS 808 is zero.
    Please take care that the tone control is varying only on the first half of the controller range, which is easy to notice.
    We will change that behaviour in a future firmware update.

CK

The Profiles are normalized.
    But the normalizing not always be perfect, as e.g. a large bass responce will produce a high level, but not such a high loudness.
    The result is that bassy profiles will "sound" lower in volume. Is that what you are experiencing?
    The factory profiles are all normalized during profiling, and were not corrected afterwards. Pretty equal level still.

Please try Public Beta 1.04, as there is a fix of the Return Level setting, that has an impact on the normalizing.

CK

I'll be working on the Noise Gate tomorrow, as I have found a flaw that caused the pick being damped, at higher noise gate levels.
    The fix will be available by the next beta version.

Thank you guys for this feedback!

CK

Right now you can refine a profile, but if you get it almost there then want to refine further you can't, instead it starts a whole new refining process that ditches anything you had before. Would it be possible to make the refining process accumulate so that it combines previous refinements with the current one? Maybe even allowing you to tell it that you're focusing on chords, or lead, or playing quietly so it doesn't try to apply the same profile refinement across the board (as I notice that if you nail one then the others go out of whack on this). It'd be much better than having to do separate profiles for different playing styles.

The Refinement is accumulating. Whenever you restart the refining, it continues from where you've stopped.

CK

Oversampling two signals prior to summing and downsampling it afterwards will give the same results as when you just sum the two plain signals.
    In other words: the glue that you produce by oversampling will be summed, but later discarded by downsampling, without having an effect to the residual signal. You don't gain anything by that.

Where the hell have your found this theory?
    You will not find any skilled DSP programmer stating that summing signals is sort of a challenge.
    Please tell me the source where this kind of digital esoterik is teached.

Digital summing is:
    Have sample streams of the same sample rate.
    You add every corresponding sample.
    Especially when you mix many streams (mixing desk), maintain a high bit width until the last stream is added.
    Then the result can be truncated (cut the bits not needed).

CK

Bear in mind that most DAW's mixers are pretty primitive literal summing devices that don't do any waveform reconstruction so the nyquist limit doesn't necessarily readily apply. Without the reconstruction prior to summing (and summing with higher bitrate aliasing) you can get artifacts and loss of fidelity in the audible range,

Can you explain this waveform reconstruction prior to summing?
    Never heard of that.

CK

Fair enough. It sounds actually very encouraging to me the fact they won't be turning the KPA into a "can do it all" type of unit. That means Kemper will focus exclusively on profiling and refining algorhythms + effects and other cool revolutionary features. Besides I would consider good models of DAW integretation Apogee or RME rather than an 11 rack or other kind of devices "I'll do it all" type of thing. I think a dedicated soundcard will be a more reliable and better choice for DAW interface. Let a proper soundcard do the job and let the Kemper do their job. That's my opinion at least. If there is a recording feature via USB I would really like then actually would be cool to add USB direct recording (i.e. record to usb stick to capture those rare moments of inspiration). Not sure if Kemper can do that or are willing to do that though.
    Cheers now

Thanks.
    This reflects pretty much what we thought too.

The KPA Hardware is not really prepared for USB audio streaming.

CK