Posts by 1fastdog

Had a little fun last night with this Bogner profile by r.u.sirius. Thanks for putting that up. It's a great tone. Drone, beat and guitar. Nothing special, pretty much demo quality, but I love this tone for trem work. I swapped out the cab for the Tills 1960 014. That guy is doing some great profiling. Haven't listened to all of them yet but every one that I have used sounds fantastic.

Bogner XTC CH3/Tills 1960 014

Quite good tone. I like the drone theme. I have Omnisphere and it can be like meditation to just plant myself at the DAW and keyboard, and trust me... I am no keyborad player. I do like writing on instruments I am not any sort of expert on. I suppose it's because I have no muscle memory and inspiration comes a bit easier for me on an instrument I haven't learned well enough to slide into patterns that are not surprises.

very nice!

Thanks!

The thing I really like about the KPA is it's apparent cabability to capture a little of the cabinet wood vibration which is something so very difficult to achieve unless one really cranks the volume to "turn down or your out of here" levels. I haven't heard any modeler that does quite the same thing. "Real" is an overused term in discussions on this sorta stuff. I "hear" wood in the Golub profile and some others. That's something I haven't heard from modelers. I could be mistaking what it is, but it's certainly is reminiscent of really standing hard with volume on a closed back slant cabinet. :love:

The are some purposeful spoils to the mix as this is not for actual distribution, but rather, edittorial use. I rolled some drums to aux return only and didn't tag the intro.

Served with fresh clams as the two guitar tracks are one pass only and I am rustier than a nail and it's apparent. Hang in with the track as the solo stuff in later. This may get a smile, a laugh, or a little vomit in the mouth.

The Kemper has me won over.http://soundcloud.com/paul-byther/fly-kpa

The profiles used : The Nace with some tweaks is the clean, the Golub Marshall with some tweaks is the solo. The FX are DAW... A few iterations of Reflektor convolution reverb. One verb for clean, a modified scoring studio set tight/smaller and a low level return cathedral way under the "radar' with a near 5 second trail but hardly audible < it works depending on the song chord changes> for the solo work..

I did the whole sequence, but for someone else that has a track act. I'm sure you hear what I did to make it unusable for someone wanting to cop a backing track off the 'net. :)

This coming wednesday I will be doing some profiling at an long standing friend's house. He's quite the collector. There are several basketweave Marshall cabs in his collection and they are all original Pre- Rola Celestion loaded. If there is something I can do to capture some of them Tyler, let me know and I'll send them to you to message, if thats practicle?

This appeals to me. Having a way to load whatever refining techniques you find personally the best would be ideal. :thumbup:

What's crazy is that my profiling process was really nothing special. I just set up the amp the way I like it, plopped a microphone in front of it (no special measurements...I just put the mic where I normally like it for playing at church), profiled, and for refinement, I played a lot of open chords and power chords on all 3 pickup positions as hard as I could for about 15 seconds.

That's it! :)

I believe you did what should usually lead to a good profile... that is, profile the amp set where it really sounds "right". The Morgan you profiled is a nice amp and I think you chose the best zone to capture it well. Not many amps are at their best with any settings one could come up with :thumbup: ..

I had the pleasure of doing a session with one of these and I found it to be very close to a non-top boost AC30. I, personally like a non-top boost AC30 from the golden era. The Morgan does that thing quite well. Push the power section too hard and it get's smaller sounding. However, eet well within it's happy zone, it will take boost pedals, at least good "boost" pedals , like a friggin' monster. My preference for a vintage AC30 would be a red panel non-top boost modded version... like a 1964, for instance. If you put some "heat" ahead of the input stage, it can do the nasty. The Morgan AC20 is there. Fabulous rhythm track amp a well. Much like the 18 watt Marshall, in it's own way.. The Morgan can be huge if you don't push it to where the power section starts to lay over. I think cleanish grind is it's strongest song.

Good intuitive profiling man!

Fantastic gesture. :love: I hope to be doing some profiling today if nothing comes up to the contrary. I'll still do a couple of Hiwatts through some 1973 Hiwatt/fane loaded 4x12's. Nothing bad about covering all the bases. Getting it done is what's important.

I'm hoping for results that may be of use for folks.

Thanks to the profiler for sharing! :thumbup:

Paul

** Update. Profiling is delayed until next wednesday. Fortunately, more time to profile some some other amps. The chap I sold many of may amps to, including the Hiwatts has a couple of hot rodded Marshall heads I want to profile. One was a Paul Reed Smith deal and the other was my friend Wes' < who plays with Porcupine Tree > Cameron modded JMP 100 which he recorded the tracks for "The Incident" in 2009. Other amps too to get done. Not as quickly as I'd like, but the results will, hopefully, prove worth the wait. :|

Yeah I think the benchmark should go back to Amps
    Ad in kempers case how the mics are hearing the amp. Most Amps don't sound amazing an hyped right out of the gate with a micd up amp. However in the mix and part of the song structure it's these raw, real qualities and anomalies that end up sitting so well and being more pleasing to the ear. Amp distortion often isn't smooth or perfect Or idealized. But it's Alive and raw and what ha worked best So while not perfect, the Kemper has sounded the most analog out I any direct Box I have used or heard. Dynamics are often minimized once a mic that adds its own compression is stuck in front of a cab.

Side by side Kemper has pretty well replicated the amp sounds in blind listening tests. This alone should dictate that the Kemper can be very amp like when talki g about recordings. Not all may find they actually like or prefer a raw amp sound. But for me in countless listening of mixes, clips, etc. I will say the Kemper has sounded the best an most realistic thus far from any device. I would give the 11 rack the nod for second most realistic. Then the axe 3rd. That is how I hear things and my own opinion.

I agree. Kemper sounds the best to me. I wouldn't set a rating up beyond what I like best. I just don't use what I don't like. This works out when what you do like is in your price range...

I understand what it's like to deal with a piece of gear which is very close to what you want and just a little something might make it perfect.

I hope Radley get's a chance to record some examples when the circumstances allow. Words only go so far to describe something which is audio in nature, thus maybe audio examples would put it in the best "language" for comment or review. I think it's easier to quantify when the characteristic is reviewed literally and not figuratively. ;)

Looks like you love your Tele's, Paul.... 8o 8o 8o

They are OK, but those aren't mine. His "Nocaster" is my favorite of his collection of Fenders, weighs nothing and sounds quite nice. My collector friend is the Tele fanatic. I was a vintage Les Paul guy and had a bunch of them up until 1984 when I got into playing Grover Jackson's Soloists. I'm down to two guitars at this point... A Jackson Soloist I have had since 1986 and a LP Goldtop. I can't get by without at least one humbucking on a guitar.. :love:

Paul

Would truly love to have a nice HiWatt profile or two (clean, low gain/edge of breakup) from a real amp.

I have access to my old Hiwatt rig as I sold them to a friend. It's a 1972 50 watt and 1973 100 watt and the cabs are the original Fanes I had owned them since they were new and they are loaded with genuine Mullards a I retubed them in 1980 when Mullards were still around.. I will be profiling those as well as others within the next month.

The lower head in this pic is my old 100, one of the cabs. The 50 and the other cab are stacked behind these.[Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/raf.jpg]

This is back in the 1970's when I was using them..[Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/stadium79.jpg]

If the profiles come out well, I will load them to the exchange.

Paul

I think it's great to connect, but at the same time we're all so busy making music. I think the majority of KPA users aren't in "the race" anymore.

I figure it's less about sharing, because that's more like writing tutorials for playing the guitar. And more about asking questions. if people need to knwo how to do something then they'll ask or complain and people will come to their rescue.

TBH that's the way I like it. Concise information, less waflle, more doing. Good signal to noise ratio :)

Everyone has stuff on their plate. I have a ton of amps to profile, but right now I'm doing some audio stuff to a couple of mixing requests I have been given.

Still, a collection under one "sticky" heading might be of some value to KPA users.