Posts by Boanerges

What do you guys & girls do when you need a couple of dBs boost for solos etc.? On my Axe, I usually engage a neutral filter at the very end of the signal chain, is there a similar function in the Kemper?

Ok, so fellow forumite Audioholic sent me some profiles, and man! did this make a difference. In addition, I upgraded to the latest beta which also helped the latency problem (there's still some latency, but I guess it'll be better with later firmware upgrades). But different models from the stock ones really did the trick. I'll post a few clips from my favorites later on, but there's a couple of Marshalls around that I really like, a Splawn and a Vox (AC-30 I guess) that will be useful.

Now, the latest firmware beta is unstable, so befor I'll use it live, this has to be remedied. I can't use the master output without silencing the entire amp, having to reboot (which takes some time). Also, I look forward to more effects -- kinda spoiled with the Axe-FX.

But the amp is starting to sound seriously good, which is the most important thing to me.

I sold off most of my tube amps when I had used the Axe Ultra exclusively for a year or two, so I only have a couple left. But I'll borrow or rent a couple of mics and attempt to profile my modded JCM 2000 and my Blankenship Variplex.

Thanks for the replies, folks. No, I'm not dissing it after a couple of hours playing time. I'm intrigued by this take on the whole modelling-thing, and I'm going to give the Kemper my best. Yesterday, I upgraded the software and imported a ton of new amps. I didn't get to test more than one or two, but upgrading and installing new profiles definitely helped. Still, there are some things I'm struggling with, but much of this is may be a matter of habits and what I'm used to.

As for the things I hook it up to: I've been using the Axe-FX Ultra for the last couple of years and the Axe 2 for the last few months, so my entire amplification eco-system is built around FRFR (apart from my old tube amps that I can't seem to let go of :). I tested the Kemper in my studio through monitors I know. I run it as it's supposed to be run for FRFR applications.

Again, it may or may not be for me, as Guitartone pointed out, but I'll try the different suggestions mentioned above. I'll try to post a few clips as well.

All right; so I received my Kemper today and rigged it for my home studio. I just browsed through the presets. I am underwhelmed, to put it mildly, and couldn't find one tone I liked, judging from this quick browse-through. It feels stiff, doesn't respond anything near amp-like, and the sounds are harsh. This irritates me, because I really want to like this unit. Makes me think that there's a setting somewhere that's not right. I didn't cycle through an initial settings process -- I think I read somewhere that you're supposed to do this. Maybe somebody has fiddled with the unit before I got it, maybe it's supposed to be like this. I'll keep on digging, and first of all I'll update to the latest firmware. Next up is a few user rigs.

Ok, so how do I register for a full membership in this forum?

(Edit: A small disclaimer -- I also use and love the Axe-FX, and I post at the Axe forums. I'm not into starting pissing contests, though; I'm interested in making the best of both units.)

For a gearhead like me, following the amp via DHL's website is part of the show. I'm quite sure the guys working at the Norwegian customs office are sick and tired of me after all these years, nagging them if I register the slightest delay or waiting time ;)

Danke, tack, takk & thanks!

Looking forward to sharing my experience & hopefully my amps (that Variplex is killer) + being in early on the evolution of this product. I'm already spoiled with the routing possibilites plus the abundance of effects in the Axe-FX, but I'm sure the stellar tone (judging from the various clips on the web) and an increasing choice of effects (as mr. Kemper himself has indicated) will make for a killer product.

To my Swedish brother: Didn't we agree that Northug is an asshole, anyway? No? :P

Hello, y'all. I just pulled the trigger on a Kemper, shipped today from Germany to Norway. I've been using an Axe-Fx Ultra for years, both for live (FRFR) and session work, and I recently upgraded to the Axe-Fx 2. Love it, but I'm curious as to what the Kemper can do. I've been lurking this forum for a while, listening to sound clips etc., and I'm hoping to profile a couple of my amps (especially my fantastic Blankenship Variplex Plexi clone).

See you around!

'nerges