Posts by b_ryan

Hey...the only way I'm able to listen to the USB signal from the Kemper is through the monitor button on the selected track in Logic, but that demands a very low buffersize. But yes...in this way it can be done of course. But that is not a solution, I'm keen on. I've created the aggregate device in Logic and it works as intended. Kemper support has verified that the only way of listening to the Kemper is by attaching monitors directly to the Kemper and selecting "Direct monitoring" on the Kemper. I don't want that solution as I want to listen to the signals of my Kemper, my DAW, YouTube etc on the same set of monitors.

Avid MBOX Studio checked all those boxes for me. Plus it has some minor processing in its mixer suite (para eg, soft limiter, verb, and delay) which are nice to have, but not necessary. All in all, I've been extremely happy with mine.

I’ve been looking into the unit and it looks good, but no videos on YouTube really explain anything about using the S/Pdif. Is the S/Pdif accessible from the actual audio interface somehow? I mean….is it possible to adjust volume on the S/Pdif out and the DAW out - on the unit itself?

How is the drivers? Any annoying stuff? How is the quality regarding buttons, dial knobs etc?

Avid MBOX Studio checked all those boxes for me. Plus it has some minor processing in its mixer suite (para eg, soft limiter, verb, and delay) which are nice to have, but not necessary. All in all, I've been extremely happy with mine. As for SPDIF cracks, I find that the only time I have that issue is when I don't have my Clock source set properly. I tend to run my Kemper as the clock.

That looks absolutely sick. I would definitely have that in mind for the future. I will need to dive into that. That’s for sure.

The clock source was correctly adjusted between the Kemper and my RME Babyface Pro fs, so that wasn’t the issue. I had help from the sweetest guy here on the forum, who offered me to help solve my problems with the RME and the Kemper and he confirmed, that everything was connected properly and everything was supposed to work flawlessly. But it didn’t. Clock source, routing in the software etc. was correct. So I really just want less parts in the chain, that can go wrong. BUT….I found a solution that doesn’t demand me changing audio interface. A monitor volume controller. It’s yet another part in the chain, that can go wrong of course, but it looks promising.

Yes the software. I never touch my interface, I handle everything through the DAW and the Motu UI.

Yeah….I don’t like that solution. I’m spoiled, I know :) . It takes too much time to put down the guitar pick, open the audio interface software and adjust. I might have found a solution to my issue actually, that solves this. A monitor volume controller with more than one input and a direct volume knob for each input. The Audient Nero is on my list of interests. It would take 1 second to adjust volume differences with the right monitor volume controller.

Hey there. Can I record through USB while also simultaneously using the S/Pdif out for monitoring?

The issue: The sound of the Kemper is not possible when using USB unless you connect a second set of monitors directly to the Kemper and use Direct Monitoring.

Possible solution to hearing both the Kemper and record through USB: A monitor volume controller (MVC) with 2 inputs. I’m looking at the Audient Nero. It has S/Pdif in and a dedicated volume trim knob to adjust S/Pdif against the main volume. That would be perfect as I hate solutions, which are more complicated than it should be. A knob to adjust overall volume from my audio interface and a knob to adjust S/Pdif from the Kemper would be perfect.

So can the Kemper deliver a signal from the USB and S/Pdif simultaneously?

If the Kemper can’t do this, I’m thinking about using the analog outs from the Kemper and put them through the MVC as with S/Pdif. This solution gets a bit more complicated though. Many MVC’s has issues here as it’s either impossible to adjust each input individually or it demands a process of pressing buttons and so on prior being able to adjust volume. So the S/Pdif solution would be my favorite solution. That’s for sure. But the analog adventure can be done of course.

Some people suggests using software to adjust volume differences between the DAW and the Kemper, but that’s not intuitive to me, because it demands switching between software and that takes time. Being in Logic Pro and having to adjust volume difference between the DAW and the Kemper demands putting down the guitar pick, placing the hand on the track pad or mouse, find the audio interface software or RM and adjust the volume accordingly. I know it might be a process of 10 seconds or so, but it’s still less intuitive and slower than being able to adjust it right away.

Thanx :)

You mean the software? The UI regarding the volume dial and how it’s placed right above the phones input, that the same dial controls both main output and phones output and the way it increases 1 db at the time are the reasons, I discarded the Moto in the first place.

I want a big volume dial like the Antelope or the RME. I’ve found that switching between the shared volume dial of the main volume and phones on the RME is not the perfect solution for me. It works though and it’s okay, but I would prefer them being separate. The Motu way of sharing the volume dial looks even worse to me. Right now I have a huge dial and that will make it better than the small dial on the Motu and that it’s placed right above the phones input - a stupid design imho.

I’ve taken a look at the software and that doesn’t look bad of course, but controlling volume is, to me, superior with a physical dial and that’s what I’m looking for.

I already have those and if it worked flawlessly on my RME audio interface (Babyface Pro fs), that people tend to express is one of the greatest audio interface companies out there, I wouldn’t have needed a new audio interface. That’s why I’m not leaning towards that solution. The fewer steps between the Kemper and the computer the better. But thanx for your thoughts.

I’ve been looking into these software solutions, virango wrote about. These routing solutions are probably not for me as they demand more of the user, than I really want to invest. It’s a complicated solution, but it works indeed. I found it hard to believe, that this was impossible.

So Dear Kemper. Please make this possible within RM and the Kemper.

Yes….I’ve already been looking into that. In fact it was on the first list of interesting audio interfaces. But eventually the volume dial and how it works, unfortunately turned me away from it and pushed me towards RME.

I don’t need the DSP stuff either. And the UA Apollo hasn’t got S/Pdif either. So I’m not interested in that.

Audient hasn’t got S/Pdif either.

Black Lion….I will look into that even though it looks a bit limited. Never really heard about them. And yes….Thomann is pretty much my sole music dealer, since I’m from Denmark. Love Thomann.

I just encountered yet another problem. When I plug the analog cables into the RME Babyface Pro fs, I can hear the direct guitar. That's good of course, but when I open Logic, the analog inputs from the Kemper gets cut off and doesn't go to the RME Babyface's input. It just shuts the signal from the Kemper off completely. So that solution seems to not work for me either. I use the aggregated device in Logic, so I can record with USB, but then listen to the analog signal. It doesn't work.

I have bad experiences with ADAT to S/Pdif through converters. I have an RME Babyface Pro fs right now. Its sound is absolutely amazing. No doubt about that, but the converters I've tried between the Kemper and the Babyface ADAT makes crackles in the sound. I don't want that solution. I want less stuff that can go wrong, so I prefer to skip situations like this, where an extra "unnecessary" step has to be taken. But thanx for your thoughts :)

Why doesn't the aggregated device solve your problem? Doesn't it allow you to reamp using the Kemper USB in and outputs while using the RME for monitoring?

It still does not let me hear the live guitar signal. And I don't believe, that I'm mentioning re-amping. I'm talking about tracking guitar in Logic + just playing without Logic open. Just turn on the Mac, the Kemper and the speakers = sound. I haven't looked into the re-amping side of the USB solution yet, as the USB solution still hasn't worked out for me yet when just recording.

The aggregated device doesn‘t route the audio from device to device.

It is: the solution is an audio routing software as I mentioned in my previous post.

I will look into that :) Thanx :thumbup:

Yeah. My suggestion is to accomplish that part in the analog domain. Having the Kemper analog outputs connected to the RME.

Yes...that is also what I'm gonna have to do as for right now. Not the perfect solution, but it will probably work okay.

I'd support the idea of changing your audio interface. I've been using my KPA with an RME Fireface via SPDIF, and everything has been working flawlessly since day one. The RME is connected to my PC, my Profiler and my monitors at the same time, and should I need further inputs I can use the Fireface as a mixing desk as well......

HTH :)

I used the S/Pdif solution with older Focusrite Safire Pro 14. Never had issues until it started to fail on me. So I bought a RME Babyface Pro fs. I bought converters to use the ADAT for S/Pdif, but there are crackles in the sound, so I stopped using that and went back to the analog way. I just really like the digital way better.

Thanx everyone for your thoughts and advice :thumbup:

Hey good people. I’m looking into selling my RME Babyface Pro fs as it really doesn’t fit me and get a different audio interface. What I want in an audio interface is:

- S/Pdif

- NOT S/Pdif through ADAT

- A big volume dial

- Loopback

- At least two mic inputs

I’m looking at Antelope, Arturia Audiofuse Studio and stuff in this price range. But I think the choices out there are really limited and everyone seems to praise RME, but it’s not for me. It sounds incredible though. And I think that I read a lot of negative stuff about most units beside RME, so I’m really confused about what to do. Many people report about bad support, faulty devices, loud clicking noises on volume dial, the Antelope needs to be connected to the internet etc. So I just read a lot of stuff, I really don’t want to deal with.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a new audio interface, that meets my demands, that I haven’t thought about or seen? Or does people have anything to say about the two mentioned audio interfaces?

Thanx in advance :)

I’ve have already made this aggregated device. I got some advice from support on the forum. But yes….that was actually really easy. Still solves nothing though.

And yes….it’s absolutely true that the USB reaches the computer first. That’s what I think should still be easy to solve. We are in 2023 and this should be possible. We can make all these crazy IT solutions in the world, but THIS rather “simple” thing cannot be done? Really? I’m not an IT geek, but I doubt that this is impossible.

Where I’m at now is considering selling my RME Babyface Pro fs and buy an audio interface with dedicated s/Pdif and forget about USB. Never had so many issues after upgrading from my old Focusrite Saffire. But that old shit just worked….until it didn’t. So I was really disappointed with the limitations if the USB solution.

I was ecstatic when the news dropped about the Kemper finally being able to record and re-amp through USB. What I've dreamt of for many years. The best news EVER! So I thought ;( It so happens that the USB solution the Kemper offers, doesn't really let me use it the way, I thought was possible. The way I actually thought was the logical way. So I'm destined to wander the realm of the analog unless I want the Kemper to be the audio interface. And I don't want that. What I hope they will fix, is this: I want to be able to record and re-amp through USB while

- Using my main audio interface as it is intended to (RME Babyface Pro fs) with the volume control, its AD/DA converters etc. I don't want the Kemper as another audio interface, so I have to constantly switch between them.

- I wish NOT to be limited to listen to my live recording through the monitor of the audio track in Logic Pro. Why can't the Kempers USB signal reach my audio interface? Why do I have to connect speakers to the Kemper to hear it?

- I wish to be able to just turn on my Mac and my Kemper and just have it hooked up like normal (speakers to the audio interface) and be able to hear myself playing. Right now I plugged the analog output into my audio interface and everything can be heard. My Kemper, Logic Pro, audio and videos from the internet etc. I don't want a weird setup with speakers connected to the Kemper and to the audio interface too or a setup, where I always need to change everything according to what, I want to do.

It's waaaaaay to complicated and unnecessary to do all this. Why does it have to be so complicated and such a hazzle? in 2023? Come on :)

Can we (or I at least:)) please just have the Kempers USB to just be "plug and play" without all these limitations? With the tech and the wisdom of the IT people of today...in 2023, it should be very easy to just let the audio interface be the audio interface and the Kemper be just a USB device controlled by the audio interface. Turn on the Mac, turn on the Kemper, turn on the speakers, play og record - the end! It kills my creative flow and it kills my energy to play as well.

I'm convinced that other manufacturers present this possibility already. I think that Line6 did this years ago actually...a decade ago. I think I remember a former friend plugging his Line6 rack device into the PC and recorded with that, while having an audio interface as well and it didn't have all these issues. This was many years ago. Well...I can remember wrong of course. It would still amaze me, if this wasn't possible today...in 2023.

Please please please :)

Okay. So what I have to do is connect the XLR cables from the Kemper to my Babyface inputs? I disconnected them to only run USB from the Kemper. Or do I have to connect the speakers directly to the Kemper outputs?

Okay...I have created an aggregated device with the two of them and making my audio interface the main one. It's still the same issue. The only thing that changed is, that I now can select inputs from both devices. The Kemper has outputs 15-16 assigned by default and selecting these two will get left/right signals from the Kemper to Logic. I still have to use the monitor symbol on the track in Logic and run a low buffersize at 128. I still cannot just turn on my Mac and my Kemper and just play. I'm missing something.

It's a Babyface Pro fs audio interface and the Kemper sends nothing to it. It only sends the signals to Logic directly.