Posts by resonator48

You can profile any amp, but you can't profile a guitar ...

That said, there are a number of "acoustic" profiles on the exchange that have a decent sound. IMO any of these are poor substitutes for a real acoustic sound, and if you have an FRFR type system, then going straight through it with an acoustic guitar would probably yield the best results. Again, everyone's ears are different ...

I understand that the KPA will not profile the guitar. But, if you profile an acoustic amp like an AER, Genz Benz, Fishman Loudbox etc, and you played an acoustic guitar through one of those models in the KPA, wouldn't it sound like an acoustic guitar? If it doesn't, I guess I've got the wrong idea about this profiling/modeling thing. If you play through clean profile of a Fender Princeton Reverb with a strat, doesn't it sound like a strat? If you play a tele or LP, doesn't it sound like a tele or LP? I'm looking for pure acoustic tone. I use a BBE Acoustimax to EQ into a SR Jam 150 Plus acoustic amp. I can also go from the BBE into a PA for great acoustic tone. I was hoping to get the same results with the KPA.

The BX8's are good enough for a small to medium room.
    If you live in an apartment with thin walls your neighbours will complain.
    In a house it'll be fine.

In terms of the sound quality - why not take your KPA to a store and audition a few monitors?

I haven't ordered the KPA yet. I wanted to make sure I didn't need to spend an arm and a leg for studio monitors/powered PA speakers to be happy with the sound I'm getting from the KPA. After reading replies to this thread, it sounds like I can use even the cheapest speakers. I'm a little skeptical about that. When I was trying speakers at Sam Ash using the same source, some of the speakers sounded so bad I couldn't turn them off fast enough.

I have a pair of BX8-D2's and the KPA sings through them.
    I love cleans like you and all the sparkle and ringing warmth is there.
    One thing though - you need a bit of volume to get that nice thump too.
    At very low volumes (less than 20 %) the sound gets a bit sterile - so if your planning on keeping the volume low I'd look into some headphones as well.

If the BX8-D2's have a rich warmth with the KPA, that would make me a happy Kemper. When I demo'd them at Sam Ash, they were playing junk I couldn't relate to. But your statement about how you need to have a little volume to get them going is something I hadn't thought of. I should be asking what Studio Monitors work well with low and higher volume.

I've read a ton of threads on the KPA and I'm convinced It's a great solution for me. I spend six months in Ohio and six months in Florida. I'm looking to cut down on the gear (mostly amps) I haul back and forth. I'm thinking I could buy the KPA and set up either Studio Monitors, Small Amp etc at each location and take the KPA back and forth. My problem is with the amplification source. My only experience with studio monitors is a friends set of older Mackie HR 824's which sound fantastic in his studio. The footprint of the Mackie's is a little on the large size for my Florida location. At home in they would not be a problem. I auditioned studio monitors at my local Sam Ash, but their selection was slim. The best they had by a long shot (sound wise) was the M-Audio BX8 D2's. So that's the total of my studio monitor experience.

So hear is my problem. If I order the KPA, I'll also need to order a amplification source. After reading reviews on the KRK RP8G2's that said how great they were, then hearing them live leaves me afraid to order blindly. Between the M-Audio BX8 D2's and the KRK's it was night and day. I know how important the amplification source is to the KPA or any audio device. What ever I go with, I want to get it right the first time since I'll be buying on line. I'm really not trying to see how much I can spend on studio monitors or an amp source. Especially since I'll going with two of whatever. But, whatever I go with must sound great. Think rich sounding on clean tones.

I should say I play clean 90% of the time with a little overdrive (zendrive). I like a warm full tone that's still articulate. I can't stand thin sounding or trebley tone. I like smooth trebles. I know the KPA will have a lot to do with all this, but amplification/speakers will also have a big affect.

Please help me get this right the first time. What would recommend?