Posts by djdyer

Will. Try increasing the cab character and lowering the cab bass response. This worked a treat for me when using my les paul. The Vibrolux full is now my favourite profile.

Eventually found the answer to this one myself...

Clean Sense is an input level control that does not affect the amount of distortion in the amp. It is used to adapt the input of the KPA to the pickups of different guitars for a strong, clean signal.
    Distortion Sense is global gain control that does not change the input level. It sounds the same as the Gain control in the rig but it can globally trim up or down all the gain settings of all rigs at once.

As well as a definition of what they do there should also be a definition of why they are needed at all. e.g. 'Clean sense and distortion sense are not controls found on a real amplifier but are required by the KPA because...........' .

This definition of purpose would hopefully explain what we are trying to achieve with these two controls, and how we might know when we had achieved it. It would also give some feeling for whether it would be possible for the KPA to have the option to automatically set these controls at some point in the future and take the whole issue away.

So if i have understood correcty the guitar volume, the distortion sense and the gain all have the same effect on the tone but with varying degrees of sensitivity. The sum of all 3 sets the level of the input signal that is driving the amp. From what CK has said it would not really matter to the tone which of the 3 you adjust but if you want to clean up the tone then rolling back the guitar volume is the most practical method.

I started this thread after reading And44's comment on the latest Anderton's video. He felt that they had not got the best out of his profiles because they had failed to adjust the distortion sense. I take this to mean that they were driving his profiles too hard and losing some of the clarity/quality as a result. This is also my expereince of plugging a Les Paul into Amp Factory Pack 2 profiles. They sound way better if I roll off the volume a little on the guitar. So to re-phrase my original suggestion in the light of my better understanding, it would be useful if there was a way of comparing the total input signal with the value present when the profile was made. The user could then adjust any one of the 3 settings to get back to that original value.

What impact to the tone does it have for you?

I mainly use the Amp Factory profiles, which I read somwhere are made using a low output guitar like a Tele. I use a Les Paul with higher output pickups and find that most of the profiles sound a little muddy if I do not lower the distorted sense. To my ear they sound great if I roll the distorted sense back all the way, but I am not sure if I am losing some of the original character of the amp by doing this. How far to roll back is the issue.

CK, I will answer your question by asking you one. If a profile is made accurately with a Tele and then the same profile is played using a Les Paul without any adjustment to any of the settings, is the sound that that is heard using the Les Paul exactly what would have been heard from the original amp that the profile was made from? If not, then how does it vary and can we do anything with the Kemper settings to correct this? This then leads on to the question of wheher the Kemper could make these changes automatically if told a) the guitar type used to make the profile and b) the guitar type being played.

Clean and distortion senses are confusing to most people. It would be great to have an Auto Set mode where these levels are set by the Kemper to the correct value for your guitar.

For example, the clean and distortion senses could be automatically adjusted so the max input level of your guitar whilst strumming chords would match the max input level of the guitar used to create the profile, as measured during the refinement stage (also strumming chords).
    So the process would be :
    1) select the profile
    2) Press the Input button
    3) Select Auto
    4) Kemper asks you to strum chords for 5 seconds
    5) After 5 seconds the Kemper sets the clean and distortion levels for you
    For this method to work the profile will need contain a record of the input level during refinement.

This is just my guess at a convenient method for doing this. Maybe there is another way?

Thanks.

My favourite profile to use with my Les Paul is the Plexi Cranked from the Amp Factory pack 1, so I tried using the cab from that profile with other rigs and sure enough it made those rigs sound better to my ears. (more like the Plexi :thumbup: ) Then I tried adding the cabs from the other Plexi rigs in the Amp Factory pack to a single amp and found to my surprise that there was a really big difference in tone between the cabs, even though it was the same cab and the same mic positions (I assume) in each of the plexi rigs. I am assuming that And44 only changed the amp settings between each Plexi profile and not the mic positions. Seems a safe assumption. It is certainly the same cabinet.
    So why the very different sounds from the same cabinet? It sounded to me like something of the Plexi amp character was moving with the cab, not just the cab itself.

There was a thread on this some time back.
    Make a back up file and transfer to your computer.
    open the back up file with 7-zip and delete the rigs you do not want.
    Put the amended back up file onto your USB and the restore the backup on your Kemper.
    I did this last night. deleted about 1000 rigs in 10 mins start to finish.
    Only 600 Amp Factory profiles left.. starts really quickly now.