Posts by Evojackson

When I was seeking out this unit, I wanted the actual amp in the room tone, just as others have wanted or thought that was what this did. I know now it's not.
    And no, there is no other unit that can do this that's why I jumped on it thinking that's what it was able to do. Also, if I wanted to play a amp in the room only I would have not purchased it. The whole concept behind this was to be able to play on all sort of amps that you can't afford or have access too. So, I know what I was looking for all along. Just didn't think it would sound like a mic'd amp.

As for the harmonics as you have read I wasn't the only one who has experienced this, probably due to the headphones. As I stated earlier they were much better through studio monitors. And at that time that was my only issue, and I felt no need to start another topic. And if you're insinuating that I was proven wrong therefore I changed topics, that would be false. Simply put, it's not what I was seeking and it was returned.

Evojackson, in order to hear the "amp in the room" sound you must play the Kemper through a power amp and guitar cab. There is no way around it.
    That will give you the amp in the room sound with the Kemper.
    Either bypass the cab from a profile or use a DI profile (without cab) and enjoy playing through a power amp + guitar cab. It sounds great!

I've tried using the power stage of my amp and cab, without the cab on the kemper. For one I still didn't hear the profiled amps tone like you would playing the actual amp, and it also sounded a bit like it would if you were to play the kemper alone without the cabs. Not to that extreme but kind of close. I'm going to try it one last time and then I'm putting all this to rest, as it's clearly not going to happen. It's suppose to be enjoyable not frustrating. I know tweaking can be a long process, but the overall sound you're looking for is either there or not, then it's just a matter of tweaking.

I'm not sure if the term "amp in the room" is being understood. Just in case I'll explain what I mean by it. Take a Mesa amp (any) play it where ever doesn't matter, now profile it. IMO, it doesn't sound the same, even as CK has stated. They won't. Not with headphones, studio monitors, power amp. It's going to sound the same, just louder and pushing more air. The end result......mic'd amp. So I appreciate everyone's help....that's not the tone I'm after.

I know mic'd tone and "amp in the room" are totally different. Honestly, I guess that's what I thought this unit did (amp in the room) and I been "trying" to make it sound like a amp in the room lol. So I know what you're saying and I hope you know what I'm after.

Does the kemper profile a mic'd amp....no doubt. Does it sound good.....yes. Even though people want more effects, I personally loved the effect it has but, it isn't exactly what I thought it was. And I said it before and I'll say it again, you did a great job, and it sounds better then everything else out there. Just not what I'm after. Now if in the future you come up with a unit that sounds like the amp in the room.....I'll buy it!!!!

If you want the "amp in the room", then get an poweramp and cab and you'll have it. Lots of people here are very happy about it

I guess what I was referring to was the actual tone of each amp, as it sounds in a room or studio. IMO, unless something isn't set right, the Bogner xtc for example doesn't sound remotely close to the real amp. As we all know each amp has it's own character, which can't be mistaken for any other amp. I don't hear that through headphones or studio monitor speakers. That's the reason for me buying this unit, so I can scroll through a list of amps and it would sound as if I had the amp sitting right in front of me. It's not the pushing of air, but again the character of the amp I'm not hearing.

As a general rule remember that you need tons of gain and compression to get, using headphones, the same sounds you get witha speaker (frfr or not).
    I have discovered that lately after i bought my DB FM10.
    Way more present, bassy, sustained sound than with just headphones, and way less gain/compression/boost used.

If you want to try that with the phones maybe you can try by putting a pure boost and/or setting an higher compression value in the amp settings.

Yeah I noticed a difference as I picked up a pair of monitors, nothing as far as needing more gain but most of the profiles aren't that good. And the problem for that is these profiles are created for the one person, the person profiling. So in their home or studio with their gear, it probably does sounds awesome to them. But what works for them might not work for me. As for the harmonics not coming through as good as my pod patch (most likely the compression), they do sound better with studio monitors, a lot better actually.

And because I was really thinking about returning the kemper because I was wanting more of a "amp in the room" tone, I decided to try to profile my own Bogner amp. It wasn't spot on ( missing some fullness or something) it sounded like my Bogner! I was actually impressed because all I did was slap the mic up to the speaker, listened for a minute...yup that's good enough, and profiled. So taking more time might fill in the gap. ;)

But to sum it all up even though I'm probably coming across like I'm knocking down the kemper...I'm not! It does sound really good, but I think I was expecting the "amp in the room" tone. Therefore thing's aren't sounding like they should to me. Great unit though, light years ahead of the rest, big props. Right now I'm undecided ...to keep or return. Maybe I'm being unrealistic........ :whistling:

Sad thing about the ratings though is some people myself included will hesitate or not download because of the profiles rating.
    Kind of like buying anything I like to read the reviews, (none in this case) but at the end of the day is my choice. Most of the profiles I've tried with bad ratings weren't that good, most likely they were experimenting with profiling, but there are some really good ones with bad ratings. So as everyone else is saying don't sweat it dude if they want to really hear the amp, they will download it. And as someone said above maybe it is a competition thing.

Other things to think about.....everyone is looking for different tones, and coping what has been talked about on this forum is there are several types of profiles and the way they're used. Example, a profile for headphones probably will have to be tweaked for studio monitors, a profile for cutting through the mix will definitely sound different etc. So people are probably rating them without knowing the profile purpose.

In many occasions we have checked harmonics during an A/B comparison. Always sounded equal.
    However, send clips!

But when you did the a/b comparison you were you using amp and studio monitors, correct? So kind of what I'm thinking is the KPA frequencies don't really deliver through headphones.

the artificial harmonics on the Profiler are just fine. I use these a lot.
    If a modeler makes it seem easier, then that's probably due to the highly compressed nature of these devices.

artificial harmonics are all about technique, if properly executed you can get them on an acoustic guitar - no problem.
    The concept that a certain amount of gain or even certain amps are needed to pull these off is initially flawed.

I agree with most of what you said, technique is very important. However, to say gain or amps don't make a difference is like saying guitars, pickups etc don't make a difference. All these things are an important part of tone.

What do you mean? How to connect it? Guitar > KPA front input, KPA send > XT front input, XT main out (mono) > KPA return, KPA main outs > monitors.

Switch all time based fx, mod, comp and noisegate off ( on the xt ), set the send and return levels so that XT and KPA are not clipping and press Profile.

I meant how to connect it, which you stated above. Sorry man, my brain is about fried right now......so many profiles, so many tones, not enough rest! lol
    My ears need a break, but the rest of me wants to play!!!

Thanks for your help bro!

Have you considered profiling that particular sound from the XT if it is the only thing that you're missing? I was asking which model because I've owned most of the Line6 modelers since the first Flextone. The Spinal, together with the Agro and the Insane are original Line6 model and what sold truckloads of Pod and Spyder around the world. Is quite a unique sound and maybe not easy to replicate with a real amp. I would look at some of the harder Recto profiles from Ola Englund and try modifiyng the advanced parameters, you can play around with the Carvin Legacy as well....

I don't want insult the kemper..hehe, but is it possible to profile the pod? Just that model of course.

I have harmonics all over the place....none missing at all. I can even get them on clean profiles. I'm not sure what your issue could be.

I will say that unless you're Zakk Wylde or a guitarist in Skid Row, you should probably chill on the pinch harmonics anyhow.

Actually, I need to tell myself that too LOL

LOL! True. But in my defense I'm just testing out to make sure it can do everything I like then some.

You can use spdif to connect the KPA to the XT, just let the KPA be the master clock. What model are you using on the XT? If you want to upload clips just open an account on Soundcloud.

I'm using the Spinal puppet model on the XT. I would like to put this out there that this isn't XT VS KPA. I've had several tube amps, owned and tried most, not all, amp processors, computer software etc. And now own a kemper! So, where I'm at .....I like a lot of the overall tones coming from this, some without having to tweak at all!! BUT, I just can't get those higher harmonics, and the pod can and it's driving me nuts, because the kemper is better then that. Right now that is the ONLY issue I have.

Could you post a clip of those harmonics? I'm not sure I'm understanding well....

Just give me a few I will let you be amazed at the harmonic difference. I don't have an actual interface yet, so I'm trying to use the pod as one but now sure how to connect the kemper to it. So if you want to hear the podxt I recorded that, just don't have a place to upload it to. Again using headphones the pod harmonics sound better and does these easier with my settings. I tried a kemper profile I been messing with and it gets quite a few but the higher up the neck doesn't do well.

Sorry, don't understand.

You're saying, using the same guitar through the same audio system your Pod XT gets better harmonics than your Kemper?

I find there's no comparison, the XT sounds sick in comparison.

Hard to believe right? I know, and that's why I'm baffled. I might add I used the stine chorus on the pod and I get unbelievable harmonics.

If is on all profiles it must be a general setting. Check out your clean sense and distortion sense, maybe they are set too low. I find very easy to get harmonics here

That didn't really seem to make that much of a difference. Let me clarify, I get a few harmonics on the lower notes and they're not bad, but the higher up they just aren't there, and if they are the sound is horrible.