Posts by MikeH

haha, really, this shouldnt be much of a problem especially if you are using a mac! Now that you've spend 2K+ on your kemper, go spend a couple hundred on a decent audio interface that supports SPDIF. Go from kemper -> SPDIF out -> Interface -> USB -> Garage band. You will have a 100% digital signal with no conversions, it will work great.

As far as the "crackle" sound.... Not sure what's going on there... bad cables? Laptop mic on? Computer not fast enough to keep up? It could be a number of things... But really, if you have a modern computer and a decent interface that supports SPDIF, you shouldnt have many issues.

While I absolutely love my kemper & my studio & rocking out, I am actually more of a classical guitar player. You left that off the list!

I'd like to see the headstock on that goldtop! I have a love for gold tops (even clones)..... for some reason, I went into a store to buy my les paul, but didnt walk out with one?!? Not sure how that happened! I guess I just didnt want to end the dream right then and there....

What's wrong with my desk Kemper ?

It sits on a very nice desk. Your loss.

heh, I mean this post in good humor of course..... I hope everyone understands that... feel free to post your desk kemper as a means to take a stand that desk kempers are just as worthy of a pic :) As promised, here is mine... Mesa 2x12 w/V30's..

I just noticed... This forum doesnt allow pic uploading!

[Blocked Image: http://s22.postimg.org/nw80f0qsx/photo_1_3.jpg]

Do you guys run the spdif signal from the kemper at 0db? I only ask because if I do it hits logic too hot to record with good gain staging. I like my levels around -18db maybe peaking at -12db. Therefore I have to reduce the signal output to - 6 db from my kemper as I can't control this using the Scarlett's mix control software going into logic. It all sounds good to my ears but I wondered if I was losing out scientifically speak for not running at full strength from my kemper?

Yes, my SPDIF is at full. No issues.... I'm not sure, but do the interface's output volume's effect it? Mine has an overall output volume, I dont really mess with it, but is this possibly your issue? Or does SPDIF perhaps bypass this?

On another note.... I am very happy with my powered kemper, in fact, I love it and am so glad that I have it. I dont like to go around bashing kemper much, but that "upgrade" had me a little miffed too. I also had problems actually obtaining the code, they seemed to be very "strict" about giving it out and making me dot and cross all my i's & t's. This actually had me a little disheartened about the kemper company, as they didnt live up to a promise they gave us early adopting consumers.... That promise was that we could send our amp in for an upgrade to get the power amp for $600.00. Well.... not only could you not do that (and I understand why), but, they didnt really give you any DECENT compensation..... The upgrade plan consists of spending a few hours listing, packing, shipping, selling & taking risks with bad buyers to sell your OLD kemper. Then, buy a NEW kemper, for probably what is a MUCH bigger difference than $600.00. I mean for real??? This is our upgrade??? AT LEAST sell us the powered kempers at cost or a small profit for not following through! Secondly, you have to get it from GERMANY, which, means if it breaks, you probably have to send it BACK to Germany to get a new one. THe US retailers will just send you a new one, it will take a week! Soooo.... who's fault is this? Well, its certainly Kemper's..... but..... YOU should take it up with the retailer. The retailer has to stand by the product as well, and if you were sold a kemper with the promise of an upgrade, and THIS is the upgrade, a GOOD retailer will rectify this for you! In turn, the retailer will deal with this with Kemper themselves if they have enough issue. But I am willing to bet, if you purchased your kemper thorugh a major retailer, they WILL work with you on this. OR you can just try to price match as stated above....

ANYWAY..... Like I said.... Love my kemper, i've long since moved on from this.... After I got my powered kemper, they were removed from my Shi*list. :)

Hi GForces,

You are correct, it does not end up being "that" good of a deal, but it is a better deal than yhou can obtain via the retails, even if only slightly better by a hundred or 2 after all costs. What I did was, I told the retailer about kempers program, and proved to them that I actually had the code (I purchased my original kemper from them anyway, so they already had this proof). Then I told them, I would rather buy from THEM, than from Kemper direct because of foreign shipping delays, and warranty. The place I got mine, gives a 2 year warranty on the kemper, and I already heard of several stories of people returning them to this place with no issue. So, I really wanted to purchase from them, not from kemper, but I wanted the price with the kemper discount. They gave it to me and matched kempers price with the discount applied! I ended up paying them less than $2300 for a powered kemper, shipped to my door. That is a very SWEET deal. I highly recommend buying from this SWEET place. From this point on, this SWEET store, has all of my business!

P.S. I also ordered 750.00 worth of more gear at retail cost..... But I did this only after he agreed to the deal...

**Edit** Just so we're clear.... the PRICE I negoatied with that SWEET store is:
    Kemper Price: $2730 US
    DIscount : -$440 (US Discount)
    Shipping : +$15 (Kempers shipping price)
    ================================
    Total to match: $2305 SHIPPED to your door, NO tax

Oh, and BY THE WAY... I SOLD my kemper for $1600 outside of ebay (made contact via ebay though) and took a 3% paypal loss. So I "netted" $1552. This means the power amp cost me $753... so much for $600.00. If I had to do the transaction through ebay, it would have cost me another 10% ($160), so total for that would have been $913.... We're NO WHERE near $600 upgrade costs..... X( 8| ?( :thumbdown: :wacko: :S

Just my 2c

Got your kemper sitting on a Cabinet? On a speaker? On top of a P/A System? On an FRFR cabinet? Lets see your stack! This thread is for those of you who just MUST have the kemper sitting on top of SOME form of speaker! NO DESK KEMPERS. If your kemper sits on a desk, it is not allowed in this thread. I will post mine tonight! PREFERABLY, with your favorite guitar sitting on a stand next to your Kemperified Stack.

I think there are two groups of people here....

Group A
    There are those, that refuse to "give in", until they are satisfied that the kemper, sounds EXACTLY like the profiled amp & cab, and they will stop at NOTHING until this is proved and achieved. After all, that's what this thing DOES right? This is the group that should definitely get an FRFR cab.

Group B
    There are those, that recognize that "whatever" it does, we like it! We dont spend a lot of time comparing one profile to another or looking for videos of sound comparisons worrying if "cab sim" can "really" be accuratly removed from a profile, or if the "low end" of the sound signature is missing in the low EQ range etc..... We find our sounds, love them and use them. This group, might want to consider a real cab!

Then there people who are both A & B depending on the day (which is me).... for you, who cant make up your mind, just go with what looks coolest :)

I am pretty sure this has been covered... But I just want it directly stated pure and simple....

Using kemper -> SPDIF out -> Audio Interface -> USB -> DAW

This is a COMPLETE digital chain with no analog to digital conversion AD/DA correct? Am I also correct in assuming, the "quality" of the audio interface, does not matter 1 bit as the signal is digital? Is there any reason for me to not use the absolute cheapest audio interface I can buy that supports SPDIF? Of course, there are going to be various features and things different interfaces may offer, but, if my only goal is to get kemper -> daw, why would I need anything more than the minimum/cheapest option?

Seems to be a LOT of questioning around here about Kemper w/poweramp & standard cab, vs, kemper direct to PA or FRFR cab.... I am a studio player only, but thought i'd offer up my advice. I have owned both Kempers powered & unpowered. I ran the unpowered kemper solely through a PA system, worked great.... I use my PA system as a sort of central sound system for all the devices in my studio, nearly like you would do with studio monitors... I have no doubts, that live, kemper direct to PA is awesome. That being said... I no longer play my kemper through my PA.... When I purchased the powered kemper I got a mesa 2x12 cab with V30's to compliment it... After all, what other reason do I need power for?? I mulled over getting an FRFR cab, but, I really just wanted my kemper to be like a real amp. You want it to sit on top of the half stack and look cool and look & feel like an amp should. I must say, I, personally am glad I did not go with an FRFR cab.... My mesa cab rocks, it looks cool, and it sounds awesome... Of course, I have it set so that cab sim is off going to the cab, but I also have a feed going to my PA where cab sim is on. If I want a truly powerful sound... I turn the volume up on the PA too and play through both...

So bottom line, for what its worth... If you want a real cab and don't want to mess with all the FRFR stuff, and just want your kemper to be like a normal amp, do not be afraid! Go for it, you're missing nothing..... I dont think an FRFR cab is any better than a standard 2x12 or 4x12 cab, get what you like, dont get all caught up in what's "best". They are all good options.... Of course, you wont be using cab sim much if you buy a cab, but really... Did you really care to try 5000 different amps through 5000 different cabs ANYWAY? Get a GOOD cab with good speakers, and its more about the amp than the cab...

Now... all I REALLY want, is a MATCHING cab with the kemper logo with V30's. I doubt this will ever happen though :(

Yea, its not exactly that i'm not "happy" with it, its just that the PA has MORE of it. Also, I am experiencing the "in the room" sound with my cab and the recorded sound with the PA, so, there is some grey area there. Also, there's the fact that the profile uses a 4x12 and I use a 2x12, and also the fact that i'm not even using the same cab brand/speakers as the profile. So, a lot of variables here, but still, the difference in sound is quite remarkable... I only spent an hour messing with stuff, I will continue messing with EQ on kemper & PA to see if I can get them close... Either way, I like playing through my 2x12, this difference wont deter me..

I don't understand, you say "in the process"....have you received the poweramp version already, or are you still waiting for it?

I have it, I am in the process of SELLING the old one. The purchasing is done and in my possession. To make the question more simple... Does a profile sound the same with cab sim off, using original cab & all mic'd through the same paths as it does with cab sim on & no cab direct. Has this been tried and experimented with?

So, I am in the process of selling my original kemper and I purchased the power amp version. Previously, my kemper went straight through the PA system. Now that I have the power amp version, I purchased a Mesa 2x12 cab w/V30's. I know it is recommended to get an FRFR cab, but, I wanted a nice cab in my studio just to have, not specifically for the kemper. Now... I have the following outputs.... I have disabled "Cab sim on monitor" since this disables the cab for both monitor & poweramp. So now I have Poweramp -> Mesa 2x12, SPDIF -> Audio interface, Main out (Left) -> PA System.

This setup lets me hear the sound several different ways... 1. Through the cab (No cab sim), 2. Through software monitoring in my DAW (which also goes to PA), 3. Direct to PA w/cab sim on.

So, using one of the Deizel profiles from amp factory, I compared the cab sound to the direct PA sound. They are much different... the PA sound is much fuller than the 2x12 cab sound and has much more low end. Big fat chunky palm mutes get that great, deep sound through the PA, but, its just not quite there through the cab.

I realize the Diezel cab, is probably modeled after some 4x12 cab, which is not comparible to my 2x12. Do you think it is THIS fact alone that attributes to the extra chunkyness? I am a "bit" skeptical about disabling cab sim. The profiles are taken with the cab in place, I do not see how it could be accurately "removed" from the profile. I think the kemper, with the entire rig enabled accurately reproduces the sound of the recorded amp, but, I do not have much faith in how accurate the sound is with the cab disabled...

Has anyone ever tried an experiment..... create a profile, play that profile back through a PA, then compare, the profile with cab sim off, through the original cab? Does it sound the same?