Posts by db9091

Very true, deadman42,

gear either serves your needs or doesn't. And needs change.

I also don't discount the visual aspect. I get that some people just need an amp and glowing tubes. Been there.

But at the end of the day, I commit to tape and if hardware does better than a plugin, I'll get that. If software can do better, or serve in place of too high a cost for the hardware at my current ability, I'm there as well.

That said, I was a fervent advertisement for the Kemper for a number of years. I'm amazed that it's 7 years on and we're talking about continued development of this product like its a Mark II. Didn't expect that.

A buddy of mine bought the Axe FXII and we play together and on either one I have a lot of fun, and we can dial in so many sounds on either. But I did warn him that it would be unsupported in probably 2-3 years, and he lamented that this ended up being true. But it does the kind of sounds he likes and he's happy with it. I had the ULTRA, seriously toyed with the FX and decided with the KPA over the FX 80% b/c of the amp tube tone and 20% b/c of the support. So I appreciate the huge support we all give it. It has a life of its own.

IDK if ANY piece of gear has as many user made presets in electronic history. Did Line6 start that? IDK. But the KPA should be in the Guinness Book of World Records for community presets!

I've been sort of an effects fan of Fractals since the ULTRA. I loved the Kemper amps out of the box and still do think they're tops, but some of the effects were lacking (delays, reverb) that I felt I needed a different algorithm.

Well, I've been away a while, & came back this January, loaded up the latest software, 7 something, and toyed with the new interface effects (I like it compared to the old one) and dialed in a Delay and Reverb exactly like I had it setup in the FX8.

Well, dang if it doesn't sound better! My guitar just sounds so melodious (Thorn SoCal) I was going back and forth and noticeably liking the KPA's effects better now.

I had/have no problem with multiple gear, routing an FX8 through the KPA's, but if I can recreate what I like in one gear what another has, I can sell the redundant one, duh.

So I'm glad I can have it all in one box. I'm finally satisfied with the Kempers Effects feeling they equal the amps in quality. To be sure, there are always some pedals out there that with dedicated ability are gonna be an ear catcher (like my current MonkeyMan pedal). But for the meat & potatoes (Compressor, Delay, Reverb) I'm pretty happy (don't use too much comp, mostly when mixing)

That said, I would like to see some variety of Compressor algorithms. But as for now, I guess I'm gonna sell this FX8. Who knew?

(Part of me doesn't like selling gear. I think b/c I'm materialistic and like being surrounded with lots of blinking lights, but it never hurts to be frugal, considering how much I bought in 2019)

Bye Bye, FX8, you did a good job. Hello, Kemper 7, you never cease to surprise me!

Kudo's to the Kemper programming team, all the beta testers, and all the bitchy users whining for better and now being rewarded!

It shows the squeaky door does get the grease, let's just hope we aren't the first door replaced!

I still want to plug in some tubes and see some glowing shit!

IF you don't have a Class D, you might as well put that extra juice to work, neh?

Or maybe some innovative fellow could offer that Modded service?

Yeah, Mike's profiles sound good everywhere: headphones, computer monitors, FRFR, recorded, you name it.

About the only thing they don't sound good on is country music!

(joke ppl)

It's hard to take the OP seriously when they don't list what they don't like or would like to see that would make the RM better for them.

Just saying something "sucks" is bitching without being constructive. So, before wasting a thread, try and do a little homework and list the things that the RM should have vs. what other software has that is liked.

And maybe, instead of just an "it sucks" thread, post those upgrades in the FEATURE REQUEST like a mature adult.

From reading this article, it seems the Kemper was released somewhere between late 2011 to some time in 2012.

https://www.guitar-muse.com/kemper-profiling-amp-2949-2949

My impression was Jan 2012 because I came on in Jan 2013 and that was 1 year later.
    If you look at when Members started, CK, Burkhard,Ingolf, etc, the first adopters made their memberships in Jan 2012.
    We'd have to ask them if any beta testers had it prior, but publicly I think that's the firm month/year.

My Brand Loyalty is a direct measure of Kemper's Customer Loyalty. I feel, from direct and observed experience, that Kemper is unique in their support for this product and us as customers.
    Their focus on longevity and continued development rival everyone else without exception.

I don't know how many products people buy in expectation of what it will be in the future. Who buys a car, guitar or lawn mower with what it SHOULD be like in 5 years?
    People SHOULD appreciate the fact that the Kemper is NOT like a smartphone (or Fractal) where you have a new product coming out every 2 years making you feel like
    the old one is not up to snuff.

I buy something based on what it is NOW.
    Either the Kemper serves my needs, or it doesn't.
    If the lack of an Editor was a deal-breaker at the start, i'd move on to another product. Simple as that.

I've had mine since 2013 and it's hand down still the sonic winner. People may think they want a cheaper version, but they already HAVE the "cheaper" version.
    If you bought and kept up with every new Fractal product since 2012, you'd have spent many times the cost of one Kemper. That makes the Kemper very cheap because you don't have to replace it.
    Can you imagine getting your Smartphone and keeping it 6+ years instead of dumping it every 2-3 years? How much money would you have saved?

Where I'd like to see Kemper add-on is an interface within the computer as a VST3 Plugin, so that I can re-amp automatically via USB in my DAW. Or just use the effects. And have it as a visual interface. That would be a really cool modern addition. Or a feature for a future KPA DUO. (which should have wireless guitar ability, ha)

But this product had what I wanted back in 2013. Still has what I want in 2018. The improvements to me were largely user-based profiles. I appreciate the addition of the Rig Manager very much. There's been a ton of new features since then, but I try and keep my workflow simple stupid. More = complex, and more_complex = less_fun.

The KPA is a guitar preamp with effects. That's how I envision it, and that's why I don't get frustrated over what it doesn't have.

Will the Helix still be supported in 5 years? 10 years? Will anyone remember the Fractal AXE FXIII then beyond a museum piece? Kemper will STILL be supporting this Kemper.

Welcome!

Now make sure you dial back the OUTPUT -> MASTER to about -12 dB and see if that helps. Don't want to go out too hot or it sounds like shite.

Helps to get some nice profiles. Try the free TAF and MBritt packs and see if they don't float your boat.

Plug in headphones and if the sound you are hearing out the Yamaha is noticeably worse, it's an I/O setting. I always use the "headphone" check to make sure it's "good".
    If it isn't, I do a Global Reset. Sometimes you tweak stuff and make all the profiles sound a bit worse. This makes them "normal" again.

I want an effect box that when you toggle it makes your pick sound like fingers and the other way, your fingers sound like a pick.

You can choose which type of pick: Brass, Plastic, Steel, Diamond Coated Steel (sharp edges and rounded edges) plus different thicknesses of each.

Maybe a random checkbox so that when checked, you sometimes lose the pick so it flips back to "fingers"!

How about an app on your phone that VNP's to your Kemper at home on the network!!

So, yeah, we're talking about Bluetooth or Ethernet connection, new I/O route and a decently fast connection, but hey, fiber is on the way!