Posts by Quitty

Micing a cab farther away and getting the room reflections that are more "reverb-like" I still think is very relevant as well. It's the only true shortcoming of the Kemper, IMO. It's simply patently untrue that "no modern recordings are done like that", as some people claim. I'd much rather have that captured via the Kemper (with the option to turn it off for those profiles done in less than ideal rooms) than having to fiddle with all sorts of dials to get something that might approach a realistic/useable sound. I mean, I got the kemper rather than the axe-fx because I am NOT a tweaker.

Agreed.
    I don't mind tweaking, i'm just not a good enough tweaker to get an algorithmic reverb to sound like my favorite room. Somehow, i feel i'm not alone in this.

Michael_dk, you're talking about playing it back through the original cab, which isn't a good test-bed.
    The room's response is captured by the mic on the cab, and doesn't exist when playing the Profiler through studio monitors in the control room.
    You can try and compensate for it by tweaking, but fact is profiles done in livelier rooms often don't sound quite like the original amp. Especially true for bass amps, btw.

I'm monitoring on a pair of old Yorkville YSM-1i, and have a backup pair of Lev Solutions LS-6.5.

The way to properly automate the level-matching is via RMS, no doubt. Any loudness meter will do - standard RMS leveling is 300ms, which is appropriate for most acoustic (meaning non-electronic) music.
    I might go for 150ms for just a single, heavily overdriven guitar, though.

^They aren't necessarily lost. Compressing and converting different source material often compounds existing issues.

I definitely hear the differences, although they are subtle.
    The Saffire with the Mytek clock is significantly 'smoother' in the high mids - which is funny because there's probably more jitter involved than in the internal clock sample. Either way, it would work great on some things but might make things drown in the mix a bit more.

The M101 through TOSlink is a clear winner for me. Meaty and defined.
    Again, funny stuff. Coaxial S/Pdif should be, objectively speaking, better.

The Kemper's S/Pdif is probably the worst of the bunch, but also probably the 'cleanest' example of the signal. The highs sound a bit 'detached', by comparison.
    I'm guesstimating, but maybe some of the stranger transients get lost in the circuitry's switching time, which could smooth out some of the more dissonant overtones.
    EDIT: meaning, lost in the Kemper's analog circuitry.

But, enough dog-whistle-speak for today :)

I think a.
    An S/Pdif connection is definitely more 'main' than 'monitor' - it requires slaving your sound card and provides the best objective signal quality.
    I can imagine wanting to monitor an aux signal while recording a clean S/Pdif signal. Can't really imagine it the other way around.

So, to get back with OP's reason for posting, every room will have a unique response.
    Try either the 'hall', 'room' or 'small room' reverb options, crank the mix way up, play with it until you get the right room, then turn the mix way down between 5% and 15%.

here's a quote from the manual:
    "The Refining process is actually independent of the type of your guitar. It is about adapting the distortion
    characteristics, as well as polishing the attack and dynamic response. The resulting profile will act and respond
    accurately no matter what guitar or pickup you use."

hth ;)

If so, there's no real reason not to auto-refine, right?

Sounds like the gain on A is higher.
    As Sambrox said, the Profiler is better at the cab -> mic thing than direct profiles.
    I assume it's electrical error - impedances and drift - that often make the gain slightly higher than it is. I've had it happen before.

The on-board controls are exactly for that purpose, as Hal2000 said. If you still have access to the Profiler, try reducing the gain a bit, maybe lowering 'tube shape' - they're both available while you're profiling the amp. I believe it will be easily handled.

These rumors about 3.x simply won't die.
    There's nothing wrong. There were a couple of serious issues involving profiling (not playing) but these too have long since been resolved.

Space parameter, as Guitartone implies, is meant to emulate the sound of a speaker over headphones, not the other way around.
    If you've selected your profiles on headphones, you're used to getting a direct, on-axis sound with little diffusion.
    To emulate this, try getting your CLR to ear level, facing you directly. Crank the 'presence', maybe cut some low-end.
    Reverb 'mix' settings will also need to be increased.

Fact is, heapdhones are a different medium - music sounds way different on speakers vs. headphones just the same, but the presence of other instruments makes the differences less of an issue.
    You'll never make them sound identical, but you can learn the differences between your particular bits of gear well enough to get them close.

Ctrlr work like this - when he recive midi the user function is called.
    The bidi mode in 3.0.2 is sending tuner note message all the time - no matter what i set. So Ctrlr still recives midi messages and call user function - wchich make it unresponsive.

The Profiler only sends tuner info when specifically asked to with a status flag. If you set it correctly, it won't send anything other than a tempo event.

USB is in simple midi format - but there is no driver with userports(in out) for KPA, Ethernet works different.
    Good thing to implement is Active sensing change when something was changed in the KPA, then you can ask kpa with sysex about desired set of parameters.

USB isn't possible unless Kemper allows it, hence ethernet.
    As for active sensing change, active sensing is a MIDI standard. It shouldn't be changed.
    You could set the TTL to a longer value and have the Kemper only update on changed parameters, but we already discussed this.

I suppose you could use interrupts on the PC end of the deal to reduce load, but you're right - it's not really needed unless you've just switched to a new rig.
    The only thing missing is the ability to plug the Profiler in via ethernet or USB.
    I'm guessing Ethernet will be simple MIDI, but the comms should be ip-packet based.
    You could borrow someone's Remote, if there's one available, and 'listen in' on the comms, or you can try listening in on the comms while using the web-interface Kemper built into the Profiler for debugging.

No, the space-effect is a short room reverb (possibly along with some other goodies) originally meant to emulate a room when using headphones.
    The stereo widener should still exist, but i don't have my profiler with me to verify.

I think cab off is originally meant for cases where you're running through a guitar PA and cab - IE, through the effects return, for example. Still doesn't always apply.

I used to play through a Marshall 30th anniversary 6100 head and 'lead 900' cab, through a compensated input on the back meant for general purpose sounds - cab on. Sounded amazing.
    I now play through a dual rectifier head and a Framus cab through the effects return - still, cab on. Sounds meh, but definitely better than cab on due to Mesa's fairly flat poweramp.

It depends. There are no rules. Cab off sounds fizzy and 'direct-like' in both cases.

And yes, IIRC cab-driver (the part responsible for 'cab off' in the Profiler) accounts for the original profiled cab as well. Locking it off locks the cab-driver parameters.

It's obvious your brother has really brought the XFX-Kemper wars into your home. I can only imagine the casualties :)

I'm usually less interested in direct sounds. I'd like to hear what the audience is hearing, that's what i go onstage for in the first place.
    Does it usually end with 'select amp -> select IR -> tweak the tonestack knobs' with the XFX?
    The device got a reputation for being very non plug and play, initially. I know it has gotten better, but i wonder if it really is that simple.

So, if you didn't touch any advanced parameters on the sounds we heard, what did you do? Really just selected amp models and turn some tonestack knobs?
    Is it that way when you go direct as well?

Purely academic, right?

A semi-algorithmic impulse-response-driven reverb can be a convenient and quite awesome idea -
    just add a pulse at the end of the profiling process, analyze the result and apply to an algorithm.
    Problem is, the pulse will be distorted by any amp so it's impossible to get consistent test signals.
    Maybe it would be possible to also account for the actual amp's contribution to the test signal? If anyone could do that, it's Kemper.