User feedback requested regarding Aux In functionality

• Our development team likes to get user feedback regarding Aux In routing and mixing enhancements.

Until recently the Aux In signal had been fed into analog outputs only with two separate mix controls for MAIN OUT and HEADPHONE/MONITOR OUT. These mix controls named “Aux In >Main” and “Aux In >Headphone/Monitor” are located in the Output Section.

Some users have requested to route Aux In signal to S/PDIF OUT, too. We introduced this additional capability in 3.0.0. But accidently the mix control got linked to “Aux In >Headphone/Monitor”, which created an issue for some users. For example in my own rehearsal room I was suddenly feeding back my monitor mix into the mixing desk via S/PDIF lacking separate mixing controls for HEADPHONE and S/PDIF OUT.

In firmware 3.0.2 we have made the correction and linked the mix of S/PDIF OUT to “Aux In>Main” as intended originally. Unfortunately this seems to create issues for other users. Now we are investigating a final solution, which should be as simple as possible and meet most users’ needs. We are hesitating to implement a complex mixing desk matrix for something as simple as an Aux In, which should primarily be used to mix in signals from MP3 players and play along. Limiting the number of Aux In mix controls to two, we are basically left with two options:
    a. "Aux In >Main/SPDIF" and "Aux In >Headphone/Monitor"
    b. "Aux In >Main" and "Aux In >Headphone/Monitor/SPDIF"

So please tell us your suggestions and if you have special needs elaborate a bit further what those are. For example it isn’t really clear to us, which applications require routing a signal via Profiler Aux In to S/PDIF.

• I'm not sure about a or b, but I'd like to give this thread a bump. It is a great offer from Kemper to let us be part of a feature.

BTW: I didn't know that Aux In can be heard through Monitor Out. Is it summed to mono then?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I think that option 'b' would be the most useful.
    I use S/PDIF from the KPA to record into a DAW (ProTools)
    I can imagine a scenario requiring routing Profiler Aux In to S/PDIF might be to simultaneously record what you are playing AND the other music you are playing along with out via S/PDIF into ProTools.
    e.g. Playing guitar along with a backing track at a live performance and recording both via the S/PDIF
    Just my first thoughts - I don't think I would ever need this myself ;)

• I think a.
    An S/Pdif connection is definitely more 'main' than 'monitor' - it requires slaving your sound card and provides the best objective signal quality.
    I can imagine wanting to monitor an aux signal while recording a clean S/Pdif signal. Can't really imagine it the other way around.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I use the Aux In a ton but don't use SPDIF at all, so I'm indifferent.

I do wish the Aux In signal wasn't sensitive to rig changes, though. When I switch rigs (in Browse mode) there's often a drop out and/or pop in the Aux In signal.

Im in the same boat and agree with this.. I use aux in for play along but am getting noise on rig changes.. I would like to utilize this for foh mix back to my monitor as well

• Just to close the subject ... we have decided to leave the functionality as is: One Aux In volume control for Headphone/Monitor Out, the other one for Main Out/SPDIF.

Many thanks for your valuable feedback!