Posts by K3MP3R

Might as well grab some glow in the dark stickers for the footboard as well since they are from the same place as the chip and will save a few euros by purchasing together.

JUst because you did not mention the MIDI cables, I will point them out as well in case you don't have any yet. I would recommended monoprice if your in the states. As they are dirt cheap and will have different lengths for what you need. I believe it will need one 3 pin and one five pin MIDI, though 2 cables having 7 or 5 pins should work as they should only feed the pins needed. (Correct me if I'm wrong, because I have not tried, just speaking from past experiences)

Don't forget to find the deals before pulling the trigger as most sites have a slot to input a copon code. It's quick to Google "site name" coupon code or Google the sites facebook or twitter where they also seem to like to advertise the codes. If you cannot find at least 10% off I would look elsewhere as that should be easily done with MSRP markup. (Not just talking KPA, but retail in general). I think there was another thread where someone knew a salesman at one of the shops that would just give you the 15% buy buying through them.

I had to do a double take myself and seen I still was on the Beta too. I guess I am still used to other firmwares and softwares changing release version numbers for each revision. If I had a say, I would want to list the whole version on the download page and have an incremental raise to show a newer release or drop the change all together for a non beta release. Eg. 2.0.1.8601-Beta -> 2.0.1.8602 or 2.0.2 for Official release. I'm just happy that there is so many releases and updates in general and only listed the suggestion in case it may be confusing for others as well. My HD500 would get improvements nowhere near as often as this even for fixing bugs.

hi,
    totally agree with this statement; is there a thread where most used and best cabs are listed ? (like tills)

Even if there were, the best is going to be to hard to define as the overall tone will depend on many factors like your guitar, picking, speaker set up and general view of what tones sound good to you. Though from what I have noticed, a lot of people seem to prefer cabs with Vintage 30's and using a SM57. I guess a lot of the preference comes from how well the profile is mic'd. I like a few free and commercial profiles as is and prefer tills recto cabs for other profiles myself.

These profiles are amazing. Better than all the other paid high-gain ones I tried (for me, anyway). Different ones work better with different guitars/tunings but this is the first pack where the amp-cab combos sounded really good for what I was looking for in tone. I also like how the TS really shapes the sound in the profiles. I have yet to get to the point of tightening up a tone with a real TS in front of the Kemper or the built in ones like these do, so congrats.

I really hope you consider trying and adding some other TS's/OD's to go along with the Ibanez you used to add to the profile packs. Not that any other ones would sound better, just that you have seemed to nail using them in a profile and more variety would be better for a lot of people and get some more awesome tones out of the amps. Maybe a OD808 and a couple others. I'm supposed to have a Misha Mansor Signature Protone on the way, and could be willing to send it to you for a bit if you could get some high-gain profiles with it. Here is a demo of how it changes the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjguPi9Glec

Sorry I know he is using an AXE, though its the change in sound for the demo that matters.

Strobe would be neat too if not too much work to do. I ended up getting myself a Turbo Tuner to replace my TU-2 as it was having a hard time finding notes on my low strings on the 7 and 8 string guitars. I actually ended up liking it much better and think it is actually a few cents more accurate as well. Here is a demo of the same strobe pattern I use for mine.

Edit: In case anyone has not used a tuner with this pattern. It spins one way for flat and the other for sharp. The closer you are to being intune, the slower it spins and will stop completely once in tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKFSlKkC7Po

True, it is accurate now. It did just go through some refinement according to some posts I've read and I do not want to appear unappreciative of that work, I just get the impression I can dial in the tuning a tad tighter if there were a numerical value to look at instead of just being level (in tune). The analog dial just adds to that "bang on" feeling as the two points are smaller.

It's the same with real amps:
    Take 10 highgain heads and 1 cab ... they will all sound the same... at least to some point... I'd say the cab defines 70% of the tone.

The nice thing about the Kemper is that you don't have to spend hundreds to swap speakers or buy cabinets like tube amps in order to change cabinets and find these things out. I was (a self proclaimed) audiophile and enthusiast in many areas and knew the differences between different levels of quality with hifi, tube, and many types of digital and analog sounds and this Kemper has had my head spinning for like 4 months now. Definitely changed my perspective on many aspects on not just guitar gear but sound in general and how things work or don't work together. Making the Kemper work with many types of gear is quite satisfying. Not to mention great tones at pretty much any level of loudness and area of space.

Just want to start off by saying that the tuner is great and seems to (since I have not done any side by side comparisons) very accurate. There are a lot of requests here for things that require a bunch of work and I was hoping this one would be easier since the KPA is already sending some of this information to the tuner.

I have some ideas that I'm sure many people could like or already thought of so I decided that I could include some generic pics and ideas that people could vote on. (Maybe a poll if more people are interested)

Here is a screenshot of gStrings tuner on my android which is surprisingly very accurate.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/EyJ3yZE.png

I think showing the note and the hertz of what is playing and the intended hertz of being in tune makes the whole experience feel more precise. The analog dial meter is nice as well. I would not want to get rid of the main tuner, just to have more options added on a a second or third option that the user could choose.

Like I said though I would want something reasonably attainable so that it gets looked at in the future as there are a lot of request which may be more important or necessary than an update on the tuner. So I'm not sure what info the KPA is processing and sending to the existing tuner but it would be nice to work off that so it is something that could be done without taking too many resources from other areas.

If there is more ideas I can put more pictures or even a poll later on.

There's plenty of info in the introduction and other topics, though I would like to stress the importance of backing up the system. Install the latest firmware and back system up to your USB so that when you get the download itch for trying new profiles and cabs (it happens to everyone usually at the start) you can just restore your backup rather than having to clean up all the stuff you don't want. There is programs out there to make clean up and renaming easier, though it is still a lot easier to restore to factory profiles and cabs then add the ones you decided on keeping after.

I would also suggest taking a look at tills cabs (do a search on here or Google for them). Once you find a good cabinet that works for your speaker set up, it can really change your perspective on which amp. Profiles you end up liking (or more likely, keep you from missing out on a good profile just because the default cab did not complement the profile for your set up.

ALso I would learn what tonal settings are at your disposal and how to get tones you like from the included profiles before buying any online. Basically if you don't like the included and free ones from the exchange, you are doing something wrong and need to tweak more before dumping a bunch of cash. Nothing wrong with buying some after that though as there are some paid packs that will have other good cabs and may have a bunch of amp styles you like all in one.

ANd the wiKPA is set up nicely in a way that allows you to quickly skim through the Kemper setting and what they do.

I understand where you are coming from as I am 98% Linux user and don't use Windows unless I have to. Was just trying to make things simpler for the time being as the change could take some time.

With all the updates and feature additions that the Kemper is getting, It is hard to imagine there is anyone left with time to think up a Kemper II. At least there was some thought of it when making Kemper with the usage of having the processing and memory on an expansion slot rather than built into the main board. This would potentially give us a best case scenario of a upgrade drop in solution for a couple hundred bucks rather than a whole new unit (depending on other hardware limitations present with current Kemper).

Myself, I am hoping to see dual amp simulations or dual signal chains in a profile to give us more exploration of tone since it has already seemed to master the whole amp that sounds just like the other amp realm.

Actually, I would like to see the Kemper II more metal (gain options) friendly just like the new Randall Satan/Thrasher as shown in this video. (Bass / Mid /Treble gain knobs instead of one overall gain, for those not checking out video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WrMRbauf3K0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrMRbauf3K0

Maybe I am just not good enough with tweaking yet but I get the impression that the higher the gain goes in a profile, the more it looses its unique tone and starts to sound like other high gain profiles (regardless of amp profiled). If anyone has any tips on how to dial in and shape metal tones it would be appreciated. For me, it seems that 7 strings are hardest to dial in as the Kemper really accents on the thick low B string for me.

Edit: I'm not looking for a specific tone, just the tools to help me find some tones. I got a grasp of the whole certain cabs complement certain speakers/spaces logic, I'm just looking at more options that I could have missed out on.

The real magic with the Keller starts once you start playing with different cabinets. Profiles just give you a type of tone or level of distortion. If you find yourself using words like noisy, hussy or not having the proper feel then a cabinet change will wonders.

Even with armins profiles, I switched a few of tills cabs and got some great tones with even some old house speakers that sounded identicle with live and recorded playback. So I suggest trying a bunch of cabs before tweaking a profile as it is much faster to get a good starting point that way. If you play high gain, tills mesa cabs seem to work well for everything I've tried so far. As an added bonus, once you figure out which cabs work with different monitors and foh, switching will be easier than having to make multiple profiles.

But regardless of where you are coming from, the kemper just feels good using it due to having so many options that are switchable and handy just about as fast as dialing in a tube amp once you get over the novelty stage and start diving in.

It is sooo subjective, I'm a composer and I used a pair of B2031A since years to mix my music (mostly tv shows) and I never got any complaint from the producers. They are far from being the best but the reference is in you ears, If you know what you need to hear from a specific monitor to get the result you want then it is just fine. Of course more expensive monitors will be easier to work with but at the end the result is the same so I keep my money (making music for tv here is faaaaaaaaaaar less lucrative than in the USA ;( ).

Isn't it the same for live guitar tone? No! Why? Because the PA will be different at each venue so you can't get consistent result even if you buy the very best reference speaker as personnal monitor. It is the reality and there is no magic solution. I think that the goal is to be happy with your tone on stage and good speakers can make it easier, nothing more than this thought. IMHO

;)

Realistically, it should be a combination of what sounds good to the player as well as what will translate well to other monitors/PA with little to no tweaking in order to take your sound in different areas.

If a person is only using the Keller for one thing, then definitely get what works for that application. IMO, what's the point of a versatile amp if you restrict its use in other applications. For myself, having close sound reproduction qualities between studio monitos and stage monitoring/practicing are most important. PA sound is the one factor I have the least control over so in most instances would need tweaking anyway. Plus it is relatively easy to set up different sounds to send to monitoring and FOH separately.

Good point, thanks. I will definitely back up first. The way I see it is if I change gear, I will probably have a better starting point with the original profile than to re-tweak an already modified one.

I'm going through a gear change over right now, so detail won't be a big deal till my studio monitors get in. Which are supposedly going to translate reasonably well between them and either frfr stage monitors or pa speakers.

But that is another issue all together as our stage sound makes up about 40-50% of our FOH due to competing with an aggressive drrummer just to hear ourselves and mix in. So I cannot see how I could get away with just one speaker. Kind of need one monitor and one type for backline. I could probably make a thread for that part in a better topic area later on though.

... Acording to the tracking, anyway.

Just wondering if there is an unofficial to-do list when first using the Kemper ? I have read a lot on here already and will dig into the wiki once things settle down from the new toy excitement. Though I like to dive right in and I will probably just check out the clean sense setting and then sample out a few rigs to get an idea of how all my other equipment cooperates with the Kemper before trying to dial anything in.