Posts by HCarlH

If you didn't like the Dumble clip listen to the Stevie clip. Nobody here dissin that are they. You just ignored it it as did Carl.

So much for "This is my last post"....we knew you'd be back. ;)

I did listen to the SRV. It actually is not bad (the tone IS very much SRV'ish) but still retains that brittle high end in so many Axe examples. It could very well be a combination of guitar pickups, the player's style, etc.
    I have also heard the Kemper get the same tone depending on the EQ settings.

This example has more warmth in the middle and a sweeter top end. Show me an example of a non brittle Axe example with more mid warmth and a sweet top end. I hope you do find it because in the many years I've listened to Axe examples, I've never found it. Before the KPA came out, I came REALLY CLOSE to hitting the ORDER button on an AXE FX II.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Look guys, a whole bunch of world class touring pros, local pros, and bedroom jammers use either the Kemper product or the Fractal. Not all use the sims on the Axe but there are some huge names that do. The point is if you can't admit that either device suits the bill for guitar sounds then you're really not being honest with yourself or have deeper insecurity issues.

I said I understand why the metal guys use it. Did you miss that? It makes sense for them to use it if it gets the tone they like.

Grow up, enjoy your Kemper, quit hanging out on forums talking about how the other "fanboys" are so juvenile and petty. It makes you look juvenile and petty. I just stopped by because I saw this thread and signed up for an account to reply.

Wow, Scott....pot meet kettle. (Oops...did I say "Scott"?)
    So your purpose here was to stir the pot and if somebody doesn't care for the example you posted, you get butt hurt? I have never created an account on the Fractal board to stir up poop because I couldn't care less if they like the Kemper or not. Sorry, I still won't buy an Axe FX, but I'm happy for those who enjoy it.

Here, cold and sterile right?

Yes. It sounds very close to the tone Allan Holdsworth was getting 30 years ago with his solid state Hartley-Thompson or Gallien-Krueger amps. There is that very treble-y top and lack of warmth in the mid frequencies.
    I can see how that would fit in a recording.

As I have said, I can understand the metal guys liking that kind of tone, but it doesn't sound very tube-y or warm to me.

If it seems as I'm dumping on the AXE FX, I'm not. I just don't think that the stature that many have attributed to it is well deserved. It's not that far above, Eleven Rack, Even Pod HD or amplitube.

Yes. It sounds like AEII is what the POD would have turned into if it had progressed. It still sounds cold. I totally understand why metal guys would like it and I don't. I don't like the "brootz" tones.
    I have S-Gear and it's the only other thing than the KPA that sounds really realistic to me.
    The Kemper has always sounded smooth to me. If one thinks Randy Rhoads/Metallica had great tone, they would probably prefer the AEII....if one thinks Larry Carlton or Mark Knopfler has great tone, then it's the KPA.

Oddly enough, in the band I am in currently, I generally have to stick with one clean profile (currently one of the M. Britt Dumble Clean - maybe #4?) as I don't have a lot of creative flexibility allowance - being the new guy and all. However, just last night at practice, I was really hearing more and better tone from that profile than I've ever enjoyed in the past 35 years of various other sources of amplification.

I can hardly imagine the possibilities of using some of the other profiles in that pack alone, let alone additional packs... :rolleyes:

I don't do metal, so the /13, Lil Willie, and Marshall amps in Pack #2 work for my gig. The /13 is especially killer.

...include your plug-in, I/O interfacing and computer hardware specs in your sig. It expedites troubleshooting for obvious reasons.

This is exactly why.

Instead of constantly telling people what you have in your rig when asking for help (which is a pain to have to list it every time), it's already there. I do this on other gear forums as well.

Here is a link to a very funny satire article that shows what is going on on the Fractal forum and The Gear Page. Lots of humor but it describes what's going on very well and it's sad that the biggest digital amp forum is not managed by other people without any company agenda or affiliations.
    Fractal Axe Fx Cliff Chase & Scott Peterson announce new NSA censorship software
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/f…-censorship-software.html

OMG. That is SPOT ON! :D:thumbup:

However, I still can't help but hear a distinctive Line 6 "fizz" that permeates all the MODELS that are demo'd in this direct audio capture from the video. It is even present on the cleaner model of the JTM45, beginning at 01:18. I don't know, perhaps I am hearing things that aren't there. However, I don't hear such artifacts when I listen to a soundclip from a comparable KPA profile.

I can't help but wonder if the Line 6 engineers spent most of their time and resources developing the Helix's User Interface...rather than making a radical improvement to their modeling engine. I fully recognize this may prove to be an unfair assessment.

I like the effects. It ends there.

It sounds like they took POD 2 and increased the resolution a small bit. I don't see (hear) the Emperor's New Clothes. Line 6 products sound brittle to my ears.
    How many have A/Bd a good Kemper profile and amp and could not hear the difference? Imagine trying to do that with the Helix.

I could post a clip of my POD 2.3 using the High Gain model, claim it's the latest Axe firmware, and they would believe me at The Cork Sniff Page.
    There's a reason I still hold on to my POD, but don't own an AXE and it's not due to lack of funds. :D

I agree with TAF Andy. It sounds exceptionally average to me. Not even as good as my POD 2 and Eleven Rack, amp wise.
    I don't get the enthusiasm about this.

Ah good to know. I'm not that familiar with Gibsons. I have to say though, that ridge makes me feel like it's of cheaper quality, I'm used to flush bindings.

I used to walk around NAMM and wonder why the inexpensive Samick guitars would have far superior binding work than ANYTHING at the Gibson booth.