Posts by slateboy

I think a useful addition would be when pressing the input (and output) button it displays, perhaps as a title, the currently selected/stored input/output config (its "saved" name)
    If the user has changed settings from the stored values then a star or letter "E" notifies the user it has been edited. (a bit like other operating systems to let you know you have amended but not yet saved the settings)
    there is definitely room on the input and output page to display the currently loaded/selected input/output config.

You could argue that you can see the values and parameters of the input/output section (as is currently the only way to tell) but without having to examine the many variables it could be ascertained at a glance what input/output config is currently in use. Also it would be more user-friendly to see the "name" of the config rather than parameter values.

Looking for a light and portable solution, like a compact keyboard amp, ideally with 2or3 inputs(jack ideally but phono XLR acceptable)
    Portability the main factor (carrying handle/strap) so Weight and size to be considered but equally a flat sound for playing back music through as well as a kpa (or other amp modeller :S ) i'm aware the smaller the unit the more compromised the sound will be.
    50w max should be suffice for home use and throwing on the back seat of the car.
    Suggestions please. Thanks

Read this article the other day and thought it nice to share it:

The psychology of amp-tone
    Ever wondered why your rig sounded great in the past but now it lacks something? Nothing has changed- same guitar/amp/room/settings/etc so why is this ongoing quest for “that” sound akin to locating the Holy Grail…

Quick test- cover one eye for a minute and take a look around with your open eye. Nothing special there. Now switch to view with the eye that has been covered for a minute. Notice a slightly different appearance of shades and colours? Quickly, they return to equal perception. The human being is one of the most innovative creations known, goes without saying, and is very adaptable to diverse situations, hot/cold, wet/dry, stress/relax, bright/dark, loud/quiet, etc. This self-calibrating being that is us can survive in the harshest of conditions and has a natural ability to deal with a wide variety of situations owing to our inbuilt ability to adapt our senses. More correctly, our senses adapt automatically for us, often without us realising, just as our heart beats unconsciously.

On the subject of interpretation of aural-sensations, our hearing, let’s take a brief insight to our sense of sound, being mindful of how similarly our other senses connect us to the outside world, sight, sound, touch, smell and taste (sixth sense open to debate!) Forget room-acoustics, that’s another subject itself even though it is a major factor. As you wouldn’t want to consume your favourite food in a certain surrounding, even though the flavour remains the same, you probably wouldn’t enjoy hearing “your rig” in a less than ideal space.

Let us compare our perception of sound with another sense, “taste”, for example. (We’re referring to our mouth and flavour receptors here, not in a fashion-sense, which is subjective to the individual, even though the same can be applied to aural and visual stimulus, whether its clothing, music, art, attractiveness, etc, I digress…).
    Think “food”. Yummy! How many times have you enjoyed your favourite meal yet occasionally have not? Maybe you weren’t in the mood for it or had already eaten? Likewise, have multiple favourite meals but would never wish to have them on the same plate at the same time? Do you often fancy something particular to eat for no apparent reason, led by your taste buds or maybe you’ve seen/smelt/heard something that triggers this desire? The same goes for your other senses including your hearing.
    Seems obvious that your favourite food item may go well when accompanied by another complimentary food item but it may not go so well with others. This is why Amp-tone “X” sounds awesome with “song A” but not great with “song B”. Maybe another sound is great at home but lacking at the gig. With audio, whether its individual tones or a group of sounds, the brain decides what items compliment each other based on learning and instinct. What one individual perceives as nice another person may not agree though there often seems to be common agreement on what qualifies as appalling. This is true for your chosen “tone”, it may compliment some sounds but not others, depending what makes up the complete mix.

Now consider this- depending what you had to eat before (and sometimes after) your “favourite” food item can taint your perception of subsequent flavours. True again for sound- what you have been listening to, whether it was pleasing or unpleasant, will affect your perception of what follows. This could be as simple as switching from the clean channel to the overdrive channel on your amp. Our brain adapts to compensate for changes and self-fulfil its needs to deliver us a more balanced representation. We're not even talking about loudness and the fletcher-muson curves here! We have limited control over this. How about a room that has a certain smell yet after occupying that space for some time you don’t notice the character smell but for others entering the same room it is very noticeable. Same goes for your ears as they get accustomed and normalise themselves to a sound (your amp tone!) Changing environments or sounds (try a different amp setting?) refreshes your aural-palette and upon returning to the previous sound it can appear fresh again for a while. Although we may not enjoy it as so, we also adapt to “poor” situations. That horrible smell, or off-taste or not-so-great amp-sound doesn’t seem as bad after being subjected to it for a while, within reason.

Subjecting ourselves to a situation for any duration can easily lead us to become get tired of it and seek something different to maintain our interest. We get accustomed to the world- it’s a survival instinct. How many times have you adjusted your tone (or played with ingredient quantities when cooking) aiming to improve upon what you have only to wish you had left it as it was in the first place? Down the rabbit hole we fall...

Next time you are on the quest for the Holy Grail, seeking and tweaking for the “ultimate” tone, pause and consider, you may already have what you are looking for but your recent environmental or historical factors influence your judgement. As humans, some of us are more complacent than others but most of us naturally pursue new experiences to enthuse, improve and excite us so it's not surprise that this applies to “that” amp sound too. Your senses get accustomed to certain stimulus. Your ears do become “tired”.
    There is neither escape nor answer but we must be mindful of the human senses and understand how they auto-calibrate, as nature intended. Don't fight mother nature!

you need to wire this way:
    guitar-->gsp input
    gsp effects out-->Kemper in
    Kemper out-->gsp effects return
    gsp main out--> PA amp/cab/whatever

However, I'd suggest you might be better off putting the gsp in the kempers effects loop and using the Kemper as the "master" device

My GSP is redundant since owning the Kemper. Mights make a useful backup. Invest your time seeking the sounds/effects of the GSP in the Kemper. it'll do most stuff. Final solution- profile the GSP amps if you love them!

Hi all,

When using perform mode if I do any tweaks it seems to remember those changes when the unit is powered off....is there anyway to prevent this?

id say theres more benefits to retaining data than not. Power cut comes to mind.
    That's only my humble opinion i didn't realise this was how it worked anyhow.
    whats your justification for needing this?

Ok!

And again, I cannot reproduce any issues with locking the Stomps and Effects Section. That should work as well .. and include the Effect Button assignments. It does here using current OS.

Thanks for the feeback, @burkard I've done a little video to show the situation. Running the 5.4.1 latest/current firmware.
    (have removed "solved" from title on the assumption that something is not right here)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't know, how you do it, it works as it should. In Performance Mode in Browser Mode. Loading different Slots or just browsing other Rigs from the Browse Pool. 5.4.1 Release.

Let's say, I start with the default Performance 1 "Example: Mars Amps" Slot 3. I assign Module A to Effect Button I. Then I assign the Modules DLY and REV to Effect Button IIII. Then I press and hold Lock Button plus pressing Stomps followed by Effects Button. Now I can switch via Remote Rig Buttons, front panel Navigation Cross, select another Rig using the Browse Knob,... The Stomps and Effects Sections stay including the button assignments. I don't need to store the Performance with the new button assignments.

By the way the more effective method to do this would be Selective Browse instead of locking whole Sections. Bring the Stack into focus and then turn the Browse Knob. Now you can browse "Fom Rigs" in your Browse Pool but just the Stack Section in focus.

Thanks @burkard, you have solved my issue:
    I should have been selecting the "stack" section and scrolling through my browse pool (whilst in performance mode) Thus not affecting the "stomps" and "effects" sections, which does leave the remote-button assignments intact. Thank you.
    By locking the effects & stomp sections, the browse/scroll knob carries with it the remote assignment buttons as you are effectively selecting a complete new rig including its parameters, i have discovered.

The only quirk here is that i can not jump forwards/backwards using the page up/down button to sort alphabetically (as i do in browse mode) so have takes a little longer by using the up/down/left/right buttons and browse-knob.

I just modded my broken Cry Baby, too and have the same behaviour. I just can´t calibrate it proberly. Did you found a solution?

l have experienced a similar issue. As burkard, said there is an on going auto calibration looking for the maximum upper and lower limits with which the KPA self-adapts to.
    This has a side effect in that if your pot is not sweeping through 100% of its range it needs to be calibrated to this "limited" range. However, unplugging the pedal may momentarily 'give' the KPA a false upper/lower maximum value that the KPA then assumes as the "new" upper/lower limit, thus needing recalibrating.
    This is true for "regular" pots that work over 290 degrees rotation/full-sweep. Some expression pedals and wah pots work over a 90 degree turn for their full range.
    I done a video on this issue a while back, here:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Then again, it could be a dirty potentiometer in your case or bad connection on the plug or socket connecting your pedal?

I'll pose this query as a different question in the hope that someone offers the info i seek;
    What functions do NOT get "locked" when you lock the stomps-group and the effects-group.
    How should "locking" affect remote button assignments?
    Thanks.

Yes you are right, i am probably “asking too much” of performance mode. I am having it setup that way because i play regurlarly in 4 bands plus substituting in several others. So i can’t have one performance for a song, there would not even be enough performances for that. I need to be able to judge on the fly what sound is apropriate for a song on that particular gig.

This is how i use my KPA. i have about 6 performances, one for each "style" of music, so depending on the song (or what mood i'm in), i jump between performances to find a particular sound.
    The performance-jumps that take the longest to load are the ones that appear most different. ie, my stomps and fx are nearly the same in each slot and each performance but those that contain a different "layout" can take a little longer to load up.
    Whenever i do, i usually hop between 2 or 3 performance but more than often stay within the same performance for the whole song and it does takes a little longer than jumping between slots within the same performance. (which is how it was designed to be used, i guess)
    Having said that, there is not a delay that is long enough to be an issue for me.

Perhaps having many performances adds to the delay, i don't know nor can confirm- maybe some one else can?

I think the slot and performance name will only be sent over sysex if "called for" but not on slot/performance change otherwise there would be excessive/unwanted midi traffic. ( i might be wrong but this is how I understand it)
    In which case youd need to "poll" the kpa at regular intervals to scan for changes. Obviously sending a "change" instruction from your device would be followed by a request for the name data that could then be processed accordingly. But changing the kpa locally would miss this. You could compare the current data in your device with that in the kpa and if different request the complete data required.
    Does that make sense?

Maybe i got this wrong, someone please confirm if this is a bug or intentional:

this all takes place in performance mode:
    I assign stomps and effects to my remote buttons for slots A,B,C,D, X, MOD, etc and then *lock* the "stomps" button and "effects" button, but when audition new amps (by scrolling through my rigs) these assigned-locks get un-assigned.
    I would have thought that the only thing that should be affected is the "stack" section as the the other two sections are locked.
    The stomps and effects do stay locked to their chosen fx but the remote buttons assigned to these slots do not get locked and the remote buttons need reassigning afterwards.
    Running latest firmware 5.4.1

I'm one of many, I believe, who is not satisfied with the tempo indicator on the remote. I often rely on it visually to ensure my tapping is at the desired tempo- watching the led flash in time with the drums before I start to play. It rarely gives back what I think I give in terms of a tempo input. The indicator is unreliable and (I think) slaved from the rack unit that I guess is a low priority task resulting in random pulsing of the led. Every update anticipate the fix.
    Could the indicator be processed using the remote cpu, assuming it has one, so that it is more reliable and not dependant or consuming resources of the main unit?

I play strats with lace sensor red in the bridge. I have some of the JMP-1 packs like the BHP one but to me they sound different than an actual JMP-1

As we know, there's so many variables. These latest offerings are better than my first attempt a few years back. Whichever the user prefers is up to them. The cab and mic-ing up is the biggest variable, in my opinion. Here's my previous attempt. Again, these are all available in the rig-exchange:

External Content soundcloud.com