Posts by V8guitar

I'm going to show this thread to my wife as she thinks I buy too much gear...Im shocked and impressed by others!!

Last year was pretty basic:

• Kabinet
    • Gretsch White Falcon - bucket list guitar

Don;t do much studio so very little audio.

I personally don't get the stereo or Dual amps thing. Live its seems overly complex and brings in loads of other issues, although...and I think this is the key...depends on the type of music. For me in a straight ahead rock band it would just get lost in the mix. I believe simple is best.

For Stereo I assume you are going direct into FOH as you wouldn't want one side of the audience to hear predominantly one amp and not the other?

Anyway as mentioned, at least try the concept with the FM3 even if its not your end point to a least test the concept would be my suggestion:)

As others have pointed out, there are many reasons why this may not be desirable for Kemper or the user base, but to answer your original question, yes, it would be possible.

Just to echo this, my point was its a mute question because it is of course possible.

Without knowing the code structure blah blah, we can only speculate on how much effort it would take to port onto a different platform and what emulators are needed etc.

I suspect no one from Kemper will be drawn onto this so you can only add it as a feature request.

There is a Spanish guitar forum where you can usually find one or two KPAs for sale. Currently there are 15! I don't understand it...

I cannot believe that many people would sell their KPA unless really unhappy with it for a unit that hasn't even been released, so I suspect its a coincidence.

Just spent about an hour going through this...wow!

Just a couple of reflections, most of which I think I/others may have already said:

1) Is the QC looking like a good unit? Yes. Is it perfect, no. Is it better than our KPA's...no one knows and that will also be subjective. I expect it to have pros and cons compared to the KPA. For me, form factor ( no power amp) is a big aspect for me.

2) Will there be a mass selling of KPA's to buy one? Only by those unhappy with the KPA. Many as already stated will get one anyway to try it out...hell why not. As stated I would trust more those people than youtube videos.

3) Whatever anyone says, I have been on this forum for 6 years and I've heard very little about the "cocked ness monster" issue. Not saying it doesn't exist, just saying profiling accuracy has always been pretty good. People have talked about low end thump missing, usually in relation to amp in the room etc but never heard that issue before.

4) There is a difference between accuracy of the profile and good sound. Accuracy is important as its your starting point and the point of the KPA. Ultimately good sound is the goal, regardless of the amount of post processing. However, I hate tweaking so I do want to get to that great sound as quickly as possible....but not everyone likes the same sound so you go round in circles. Accuracy becomes the main bench mark as its your only common starting point.

5) Rumour and fervour is marketing :). I am irritated but resigned to online bias. But then, we are all biased......

6) I do see this as positive competition and it feels like CK does as well. But its like politics, its so emotive that the facts get lost in proving someone is right or wrong.

What is most funny is how us guitarists are arguing about minute differences that are imperceptible to any non guitarist...just seems very academic to me.

On a brighter note, my second Kabinet has just been delivered and even better.....a Kemper T shirt!!!!! I will still be proud to wear it despite that pesky little QC.

By the way, you should ditch the Tesla and buy a Vette. It ain't electric, but it's way more fun. :)

I've always loved US muscle cars, but in the UK they are impractical ( fuel costs, left hand drive etc) :). Only looking at electric because they are bonkers fast! I will miss the sound, but anything that can kick a Hellcat's butt is good in my eyes :)

I'm not anti Kemper having touch screen etc. but I totally agree its not the differentiating factor and I like the familiarity of the amp controls too!

What profiles were you using and are the any clips online to hear from the shows? It is so difficult to know exactly how the sound will translate at volume in a venue.

TBH it was probably over a year ago. Happy to share what profiles I use if it helps but....Im not actually saying I think I've got a great sound, but others telling me means more to me than anything.

I've no video from that show, I have a few audio and videos from other shows but I honestly would not put them up against any sounds or tones I hear from others on here. As you also hint at, it won't really sound like it did at the show itself anyway.

Anyway, happy to share but not sure it will really help you except go " I think I sound better than that" :)

stormhenge Sorry to bother you again but I woke up in the night thinking about this...

I fully understand your stance not to offer profiles of you amp but just wondered what, if any, commercial route you are going down? In other words, you've worked sooo hard to build this thing. If you did offer your profiles commercially, accepting that some people will share them but the vast majority will actually pay for them, is this not better than nothing?

Alternatively if you do/are you going to produce the amp, isn't it an inevitability than some someone will profile it any way and publish for free?

I promise my motivation is to get you recognition and monetary payback for your efforts so don;t feel you have to respond, I was just curious..I also realise its not all about money so if its to keep it within your friends then I get that :)

Noooooo....just saving up for a Model S....

I'll let someone else comment on if that's possible but I run a separate pedals ( which uses more real estate of course) to avoid this confusion.

I assume you are trying to avoid this :)

Interestingly for me, I never really use my volume pedal though.....mute I use the tuner, morphing for boosts, cleaning up guitar volume but for some reason I still like to have it ;)

In the end, though, think in terms of balancing what you spend on the monitor with the Kemper. The KPA is a top-tier, no excuses digital amp. It should be paired with a monitor of similar quality, and that's not something that you get for $500.

Totally agree although..... just to apply a slightly different lens....this is"only" about your monitor.

For live, in the past, as you miked your cab it was essential to get the best on stage sound as that directly translated into your FOH. With the KPA you typically send your sound direct and your monitor is now "relegated" to what you hear. This means that it needs to be good enough - it just shifts the emphasis slightly I feel :).

Hope that makes sense

For a great many musicians, GAS is as much a hobby as playing music itself, so I totally get it. Always looking for the next new shiny object is fun.

Is it wrong to just be happy with what I already have?

Very true and nothing wrong with either of those points. In fact I definitely miss hunting around and researching new gear but conversely its also a release not having to find what I need.

I have never had so many external positive comments....a friend of mine picked up some FRFR cabs from me yesterday and he commented on how good my Kemper sounded...he had seen me play at a gig many months previous ( pre lockdown!!) and said it sounded brilliant.

Why would I want to change that :)

I know what you mean, there are times when I get too much volume with the pedal, then I find myself pulling it back and come back to far and then struggling to find the right level. So I think I will try the morph approach. Are you boosting rig volume?

Are you boosting the volume with the rig volume and boosting the mids with the output EQ?

Yep.

Just to be clear I tend to use a different slot for solos as I often use a different amp/profile as well but I use this principle for boosting for riffs.

For riffs I boost rig volume, bit of mid and bit of treble for cut, but obviously you can change so many things! I love it

Isn’t the Quad Cortex exactly sound the same thing as the Kemper? It’s the same principle. Throwing sounds through the setup and capture the signal flow.

For me it’s not a question to Kemper as such. It’s more in regards to other companies cashing in on the Kemper tech and giving it to people in other solutions like plugins. And cheaper and easier to apply and take off. If the sound quality is the exact same, then it is indeed a matter of people still will look to the Kemper for the sounds, if they can get the exact same thing cheaper and perhaps better. Then it dives B.T. matter if they were the inventors. Thousands of examples are out there of companies that are eventually run over by its completions.

1) Its not exactly the same process....the Quad is still a modeller but has the capture process added. Similar tech but not the same

2) Does it matter if its the same? No if the result is the same. This is the current debate and not enough users to really know this so its too early to reach those conclusions

3) This assumes Kemper stay static. They haven;t up to now and confident they will introduce another step change.

The Quad is no doubt a good unit, its how good is it that only time will tell. I don;t expect Kemper to wait for that answer though...

note its not cheap though....£1400 is a touch more expensive than the Stage.

Couple of comments on guitars cabs:

1) You don;t need them to record as you can connect into your DAW directly.

2) You have 3 options - regular guitar cabs, FRFR and Kemper Kabinet. None are better, just preferences. Guitar cabs we are all used to but add signifcant colour to the sound. Given profiles include Cabs and Mikes you either need merged/direct profiles ( which send just the amp to the cab) or remove the cab portion. FRFR is closest to the sound you would hear out of a PA but is different to what we are used to. The Kemper Kabinet is sort of in between. It can run as an FRFR but uses speaker imprints to give you even more control over the end to end sound.

All cabs ( unless active) will require an amp. This is why I bought the powered version so I have the option to run cabs without adding a separate amp.

I have run all options and prefer the Kabinet. in fact, I've just bought another one.

I play heavy rock/Metal.

Hope that helps.

I know that the Kemper needs it. That’s not the point. It’s about the tech. Does the data (the 1’s and 0’s produced the Kemper way) need a physical unit to drive them. I doubt that. It’s just data. And it’s not about Kemper making a plug-in. It’s about the tech side of things.

I’m absolutely agreeing with you. The Kemper has stayed on top of the game for ten years and the way they have turned this machine into a totally new machine from when I bought it almost ten years ago, is crazy and cool. Big value for money for me personally. But they are gaining competition now. They can’t keep pushing old tech out when new and more advanced solutions keep appearing. But indeed I am enjoying my Kemper. I still love it.

What is better you ask? I have no conclusion on that topic. But I do know that Axe FX, Quad Core etc. plus many plugins are sounding better than ever. I think that many doesn’t really care how the sound is obtained. If it sounds realistic it doesn’t matter if it’s called modeling or profiling. It’s just one more competitor and more to chose from as a consumer. And for us it’s great.

Yeah I hear you.....

Boil any code down and its 1's and 0's . Its not the data of course its the software so your question I think you are asking is can the software run without the hardware, presumably on a PC/MAC.

The answer to me is pretty clear, at the moment no. Is it possible? of course it is. your questions is really what it would take to enable that, are Kemper interested in doing that etc. Only Kemper can answer that so maybe someone will chime in.

I think are also stating, people don;t buy tech ( in most cases) they buy what it does for them. Some people will always be seduced by touch screens but ultimately its the sound quality that will prevail along with price. So you are right, there is more competition gaining but I also assume Kemper never thought their solution will remain unchallenged. I trust they will continue to innovate, time will tell if they stay ahead enough.

To me Kemper are like Tesla. Innovators, doing things slightly differently. 10 years in they are still the only amp based on profiling and not modelling. Modellers are now added some tone matching and captures.... The competition will catch up and maybe overtake for a period but then they will take another leap forward....the latest Tesla Model S will have a longer range and be even faster now the competition is catching up and I think are staying one step ahead.

The only reason I ask about is what is better is a conceptual question in terms of what people want from an amp. Is it the best replica of an amp or the best sound? Ultimately best sound of course but most people use the reference point of an amp and much of the debate bounces from if its the most accurate and whether is sounds any good interchangeably. You are right in that most people don;t care how you get there although some people will also get excited to have a near exact replica of a '68 plexi.....until they realise that it never sounded as good as the hype :).

My only point here is for us to clarify what gauge we are applying at any time. I've found many of my "fav" amps don't sound as good as I remember ( I mean the real thing, never mind the profile).

Im with you....just not sure you'll get the real answers. we just need to help influence Kemper on what we want/what is important to us.

It will sound different, not necessarily better. Ive been really happy with the Kabinet ( its shockingly small and light), thumps the sound out.

I've just bought another one so I can daisychain it....for no other reason that I'd like the look of 2 of them...