Posts by FlyingSnowman

Hi,

I didn't know where else to post this, so sorry if I'm in the wrong place! I got two crashes yesterday (I think it happened because I turned the dials too quickly, one of the crashes happened when I was re-arranging performances and I turned the type dial to switch to another performance right after that). Hope you have enough information with this.

A software error occurred
    expr=((unsigned)heap_end) < (((unsignede int)& __stack) - (64*1024))
    file=_/arm/syscalls.c
    line=165
    func=_sbrk_r
    swvs="Public Beta: 3.1.2.11318B" (CRC=3EFDA878)

Kind regards,
    Eric

Hi. That's what I did. I tried a few times with a power attenuator, it didn't work.
    Then I tried with the speaker DI box (Samson), connected the way you describe it. But the sound doesn't satisfy me...

Thank you Admin.

The EVH (100W) doesn't have a DI. I tried profiling it with both a power attenuator and a speaker DI box, but was never happy with the results. Also bought several profiles and tried those. Still missing the power, the attack and the dynamics of the real EVH until. Somebody reacted and told me I have to spend more time on adjusting the Kemper, and doing A/B switches. I'll have to do that in the rehearsal room, because the volume needs to be quite high in order to be able to compare both sounds. On one hand I think that it should be easy and straightforward to get the same characteristics, and on a quiet volume, it does. It's only when you turn up things that you hear the difference.

I use the built-in power amp of the Kemper, and connect it to a cabinet with 2x12" Vintage 30 speakers (sometimes a Marshall 1960A too with 4x12" speakers). I turned off the cabinet in the system menu. I will go to the rehearsal room next Saturday and try to adjust the profiles more, and do A/B comparisons. If you have any other suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.

I love the vision of the Kemper company, I love the concept of the Kemper amp, and I really would like to replace my (heavy-weight) gear with this...

Thanks again.

Here is a quick demo I made of Peace of Mind using a backing track I found on YouTube. Sounds like one of those isolated tracks from Guitar Hero with the guitar tracks removed. I am using the Eleven Rack on the
    left side with a preset called Peace of Mind from the ElevenRackPresets webpage and the KPA on the right using a rig exchange profile from Per Sviggum called PES Rockman XPR Lead that I modified a bit. My band is thinking of doing a Boston medley and the other guy in the band uses an 11R so I was doing this to see if I could find a preset for him that worked well with the Kemper. I think this turned out great and the overall sound is pretty close to Boston. There is no post production EQ to any of the tracks. Let me know what you think.

Hi drandall, well I think... it sounds quite impressive! that's the sound. Thank you so much!
    I looked at the patch, it's got a .tfx extension, is that usable by the Kemper?

Maybe it's because they play with more distortion. I'm using Classic Rock gain, not the heavy metal kind of distortion that a lot of heavy metal bands use with the Kemper. The Kemper seems to be very popular in that genre. I'm not sure about Classic Rock bands.

I don't know, but it works. I tried it when I still had it and it works perfectly.

From the manual:

More here: http://digitech.com/en-US/products/harmonyman

I cannot sell my tube amps... The Kemper - for me - doesn't cut through the mix as my tube amps (especially the EVH 5150 III) do. I'm missing the dynamic range and the attack. I brought the Kemper a few times to the rehearsal, and the drummer said he couldn't hear me! It's not that it was not loud enough. It's something undefineable, maybe the dynamic range, I don't know. Missing the power of a real tube amp. For now, the Kemper stays at home :( (I'm using the built-in power amp of the Kemper).

I'm playing in a Classic Rock cover band called NeverB4 (www.neverb4.be). We play stuff like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath... I'm a big Deep Purple (Ritchie Blackmore) fan, but also like stuff like Jeff Beck, Van Halen, Michael Lee Firkins, ... I'm playing since I was 15, so that makes 39 years today.

Own a Les Paul, Strat, 67 Tele, 94 Explorer, Music Man EVH Axis, Michael Schenker Dean, a few acoustic guitars and a fretless bass. The EVH 5150 III is my all favorite amp, also own a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 combo, a Marshall Major stack and of course the Kemper, besides some vintage pedals. Profiled all my amps because my aim is to play live only with the Kemper; still have some finetuning job to do on those profiles... Am using the Kemper together with the Strymon Mobius, which has amazing effects and very close to the originals. The chorus and phaser of the Kemper are OK, but I'm not too happy with the flanger and univibe effects. The Mobius has also more possibilites. That said, I love the flexibility of the Kemper, the fact that it's lightweight and last but not least: the vision of the company that produces it...

Hi,
    Was anyone able to get a decent reproduction of Tom Scholtz' sound in Boston? I'm not talking about profiles of the XP100. I owned that amp a long time ago and it sucked big time. Too edgy, no warm sound at all. I think it's possible to get that sound with any amp, as long as you fiddle with chorus and detuning techniques, and a lot of EQ'ing. So I'm looking for a rig that has all these stompboxes and effects configured in a way that it sounds like Boston. Not the gear is important, but your ears, imho. To be used with a Les Paul (of course)...
    Thanks!

It would be helpful if you could send a Bank Change controller value before you do a midi program change, in Performance Mode. It's great to have the feature built in to send a program change to device A and device B. But some/many devices have more than 128 presets available, and they require a Bank Change control command before issuing the program change, if you wish to access the presets higher than 127.

Pls make sure that both midi outputs (out and thru) will transmit the midi clock (based on an optional setting in the system menu) also, it would be nice if there is a midi merge functionality, copying the data from the midi in port to both midi out and thru ports, based on a optional setting. I'm using both output ports in performance mode, and transmit program changes to both ports (great feature by the way!)

Yes andrasvermes, that's right. I checked out all the references given in this thread, and i a/b compared with my electric mistress and a/da pedals. It doesn't come close. The mistress sounds indeed more like a mix between a chorus and flanger. And the a/da also has this through-zero flanger sound! I'm planning to buy the mobius. I don't think we can expect from kemper that they build in the same quality of effects as these pedals. Kemper did a wonderful job already with the amps profiling...

I'm having a strange problem. I connected the Eventide ModFactor pedal to the Kemper, using the Kemper Send to the ModFactor Left (mono) input, and then sending the ModFactor's stereo outputs to the Kemper's Return and Alternate Input.
    The mix is set to 100%. The problem is that I don't hear the effect (for example Flanger). Or I have to adjust the ModFactor in an extreme setting, putting the Depth to the maximum.
    If I look the Mono Loop, I have no problem at all. I can hear the effect very clearly.
    Did anybody encounter a similar problem, and does anyone have a solution for this?
    I'm listening to the Kemper in mono mode (with the power amp inside). I just want to connect the pedal in stereo in case I want to use the stereo outputs (to a mixing desk) in a later stage...