Posts by Antipodes

Just to chime in on the love for the Two Rock beastie - I have the Tone Junkie TS1 set too and I am similarly impressed. Here's a rundown I was working on:

The TS1 set has 31 profiles with 17 on the clean channel and 14 on the lead channel. The Celestion G12 - 100K (https://celestion.com/product/19/g12k100/) is used for the entire set and contributes to the punch and the clarity of tone on this amp. The amp has switches for different voicings (rock/jazz), mid boost and bright switch.

The clean channel has quite a few clean / edge of breakup profiles with modest gain levels and these work really well for me with P90s/ Fender SC style pickups and HBs. The jazz voicings gave clear warm jazz tones with neck humbuckers. I think PRS players will love this amp. You can control the breakup with pick dynamics really well on this channel - very transparent with softer picking and the Dumble breakup
    character is there with hotter levels and transients.

The lead channel has been profiled with a range of gain and tone settings (switch combinations used are there in the profile names) and some profiles are driven with the Sparkle Drive which seems to work really well with this amp - on both channels. The gain levels go up to 7.3 so this set goes a little hotter than many TJ sets - I could get a range of powerful lead sounds with any pickups I tried.

As far as styles go, I would use it all day for funk, blues and roots styles and, with the flexibility on offer, you can cover jazz and rock styles without recourse to any external drives/stomp FX in the KPA.

yes I'm sure it does but then I would need two if I want spdif in AND out connected at the same time for reamping. no big deal..just wondering if there is such a box available

Yes - 2 for 2 conversions if you want to stay digital all the way. You could go digital one way and analog the other if you wanted to save a few bucks.

how do you connect the s/pdif i/o on the kemper to the optical i/o on the babyface pro? I've only found converters with 1 rca to 1 optical ?(

You were expecting two for stereo? S/PDIF is a stereo signal. The electrical version is carried via one RCA to RCA lead. The optical form of S/PDIF is carried via one TOSLINK optical link (identical to the ADAT optical cable).

I'd have to agree with the OP here.

Cab "transplants" are the way to go if there is something you are looking for in a set of profiles but not finding. My MO is simple - I select a profile from a different set with the kind of sound I am looking for and lock the cab section. I then go back to the profile set which seems a bit lacking and resave the borrowed cab on any profiles from the set that seem to suit the new cab. I copy them back from the profiler to the source folder of the profile set I am massaging in Rig Manager - I tend to copy the source profile of that cab in there to for future reference or in case I want to repeat the process for more of the set.

Eg today I put the JMOD and Matchless cabs from Tone Junkie (which are stellar IMO) on another set with uniformly great results. I tried the EV12 profile from earlier in this thread also (Deluxe EVM112L is the cab from Heater) and that worked really well on crunch and clean profiles.

This pack really rocks - classic rock tone to burn with an LP. I think you have the balance of frequencies pretty much down. The Celestion Blues sound great at every gain level - love those. All the cabs - Mesa V30, EVH, Creamback LB etc - are working for me and the diversity is well worth having.

With 5 more years before EOL, and Kemper being fully aware of that fact, that gives them plenty of time to order and stock up on chips to take them another 5 years or more after EOL.

That would buy them plenty of time to find and implement a successor.

It would be a shame if they didn't port it to a new architecture. If support from the DSP manufacturer is removed due to product EOL, other tools (coding, code translation) and hardware necessary (boards, sockets etc) might no longer be available to support the architecture so it may not be a simple matter of soldiering on with a few spare barrels of Freescale chips. Anyone trying to run old code/old machines in the PC or Mac world runs into all these issues PDQ and is often forced to junk machines that work perfectly because they do not support current standards (eg for internet browsing or audio plugins).

Waraba is right about the P90s/semi hollows with the Tone Junkie profiles. The clean/just breaking up profiles cannot be faulted and amps like the JM100 OD, the Matchless, Vox and the Two Rock have really tasty distortion on the higher gain profiles.

BTW The second dual amp pack doesn't get a lot of comment that I've noticed but I'm loving it. The "Hillsong" profiles are some of my favorites right now.

Ash - IMO you should record the output of the two kempers into a computer audio interface - going into a PC or Mac. You will need (at least) either 4 analog ins or two analog channel inputs and two coaxial S/PDIF channels. Record the two stereo signals (if you want the KPA's stereo FX including space and reverb) and blend the channels in a program like Reaper and mix down the result to a stereo wav file. You can export to wav or mp3. No need to try and record your FRFR with mics.

Interfaces that can do all this start at around 2-400 bucks - eg

https://www.zoom-na.com/produc…-44-handy-audio-interface
    https://www.storedj.com.au/zoo…out-handy-audio-interface

These sound great - tried them with a Marshall cab from another profile. Very handy to have quality DIs like these. You used a nice range of gain and they were all really useable sounds - the clean and crunch were both excellent. Thanks for sharing. No doubt, all us profile whores would love some more if you get around to profiling this amp again sometime.

If you do it in series (as opposed to parallel) then the resistance load should be double (two 8 ohm loads in series yield 16 ohms) and the resultant power/volume should be half. If you do it in parallel it would be half the resistance and twice the power/volume. The changes with load can affect the tone somewhat but whatever.

Solid state amps work as you describe if their power supply is up to it - eg a solid state bass head where the output devices are directly coupled with the load. Tube amps like Marshalls have switchable transformer taps on the output - typically 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm - and power output is more or less the same on each. You can even put 4 cabs in a serial/parallel setup and get a 6dB drop.

During all the above, I recalled the whole "delays" caper. Pre-release versions were shown at the show in Anaheim as a feature of a forthcoming OS update and then substantially "delayed". They were eventually released in two batches some months apart. There was more than a little rending of hair and gnashing of teeth on the forum in the interim period. It seemed that CK had made a rod for his own back by promising the imminent arrival of what, in reality, took a good while to deliver in final form.

This time - no promise, no imagined schedule, just work steadily till it is ready. (Pause for a beer or three now and again.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (thanks to Gryzor ;) )

I think that was the post of this thread - had the lowdown on the verbs/ new hardware rumours. Still hoping for an update on the editor which I gathered some time back they had employed someone to work on.