Posts by Antipodes

On Windows, you mostly do not need to use a really up to date OS. Most apps support a lot of backward compatibility. Reaper still runs on 20 year old OS versions. My oldest RME interface from 2001 still has current drivers. I have often used the same OS I built the machine with for 8 years. Some apps start to demand something more up to date but I can get most of my work done on older machines for up to 10 years.

Mac users using Logic have reported spending up big on a new machine and finding that it is basically unsupported in less that 5 years. Today Apple annouced it is going with its M series (ARM) processors from top to bottom of its range. Getting support on your Intel Mac for much longer is going to be a forlorn hope I would expect. Planned obsolescence is a PITA which ever way you go.

Nothing says they can't jump an entire number. After MacOS 10.15 (aka Catalina), they jumped to MacOS 11, 12 and now 13. Microsoft jumped from 8.1 to 10.

Didn't they jump a version number when the updated 'verbs and delays were released?

I would think that a foundational change like this warrants its own number. ;)

When the KPA delays were revamped, we got two successive new OS editions in a fairly short space of time - OS 4 and 5 from memory. The first bunch of delays were in the betas for the first new OS version and the complete set became available in the second full OS X.00 version which came something like six months later.

Sample Rate Converter? This is all beginning to sound like "Liquid Sampling" is coming to your favorite DAW. :/

I know you can resample from 96k to 48k or 44.1k but can you up-scale from 44.1k to 48k with no problem, or does the DAW handle that? Like if I set my project to 48k, then any lower sample with be upscaled to that 48k?

Yes, it is all just simple mathematics. It still involves a great many calculations because you are dealing with an audio stream with millions of samples. This all involves a burden on the KPA processor.

I was able to perform a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 only months ago, despite the fact Windows said the time to do so had passed. You may wish to check your system requirements and try.

I may have to resort to this but have resisted so far as I have lots of stuff (audio s/w and otherwise) licensed on this Win 8.1 machine that may not survive the update to Win 10.

Thanks Mick. Interesting stuff on that mic - a new player in the LDC game. Would be interested in how you found it generally of guitar cabs for clean to mid gain as well.

I'm also just trying to remember here, but I think the Kemper has factory EQ presets named after some amps.

So - ahem - the release notes for beta 1 of OS 9.00 mentioned Liquid Profiles (or did I hallucinate that?). These things, were not alluded to as something that will be forthcoming in the fullness of time/inshallah - but as something - or so I would have presumed - instantiated in this beta.

Pretty sure that’s a list of the amps loaded in your Profiler. Not tone stack options.

If select the amp button, turn the browse knob and you should see the same list. The loaded amp name will change.

Yeah, looking back it, I think you could be right. I have many hundreds of rigs in the profiler. This was not the rig browse list.

Clicking on one option in that list did not change the loaded rig name. The list has as a heading "amp presets". Presumably this has substituted a different amp section into the rig.

Any word on which tone stacks will be included?

In the Editor, you can open a small menu in the Amp section - it is a right click from memory. This menu contains a short list of about 6-8 amp names and I assumed these were tone stack options. As soon as I selected one, all the main controls (bass, mid, treb, gain) took new positions.

I think if you want a working 2 way system, -for record and playback - necessary for reamping via USB for example - you will want ASIO 4 All but I got it working with some crackles with the generic low latency ASIO driver included in Win 11.

You are going to be using a driver to connect anything in the way of a peripheral to any port - it is just a question of how well suited to your particular application that driver is. The vanilla one that comes with Windows is not necessarily going to work as well as a dedicated low latency driver.

Apple bought Emagic to get them to design low latency audio at the OS level for the Mac OS and iOS. Microsoft work with audio partners to some degree but the OS audio system is not now, nor has it ever been, on a par with proprietary drivers. Looking forward to Kemper's proprietary driver.

Assuming you are on Windows 10 or later, install Asio 4 All 2.15 - which is a free download. Then, when you select your ASIO interface in your DAW, you can pull up your ASIO control panel, it will open an ASIO 4 all settings panel and you can choose 'Profiler" from the list. You can try different buffer sizes, but you are pretty much good to go.

It works great now asio4all did it. It was a bit of a learning curve but all is well now. I might change back to S/pdif because sometimes I don't adjust too well to change.

If you need to work with many different inputs (mics, other audio devices) in a studio or home studio context, then you might be better with SPDIF and your multi-channel audio interface. Neverthless, if the KPA can function as a clean audio input for guitars and an easy way to record the profiler output - very handy with just a laptop for example - then this will be very useful. If the MIDI inputs could also be used for recording (using the KPA as a thru box for a keyboard for example) then you would have a very flexible setup with just the Stage and a laptop.

With ASIO 4 all I have got it working on Win 11 - thanks for the tip guys - and you can actually choose "Profiler" in the ASIO settings menu for the ASIO 4 all V2 driver. It is working for record and playback - no obvious crackles.

In the meantime, is there an ASIO driver with KPA name on it? Reamping would not be possible if the generic driver is the only one available and it is currently one way only (into the computer from the KPA) on my machine after initially being bidirectional. Surely this is not the state in the current release, is it?

Just a query on the USB driver for the KPA. I installed beta OS 9.00 to a toaster model from a Win 11 machine - using Rig Manager to download and install the new Rig Manager and OS 9 beta.

Looking to select the Kemper audio driver from Reaper, I saw no specific ASIO option for the Kemper but only Generic Low Latency ASIO driver - which I tried and it worked immediately with some crackles. I recorded a short test piece into Reaper and playback was audible through the return ASIO driver to the KPA with headphones connected. After updating Reaper to the latest version and restarting the KPA and Rig Manager I tried to set the same arrangement up and the only audio output option for the generic low latency ASIO was now the laptop speakers (Realtek) and no option to use the generic low latency ASIO to run audio to the KPA via USB.

Is a specific Kemper ASIO driver installed with Rig Manager? How is it named in the Windows ASIO list? If this hasn't occurred automatically (I have restarted the PC also) where do I go to get it installed?