Posts by scratch17

Nice, there's an EVM12L model in there.

I have two EVM-12S drivers in two Thiele cabs that I built based on a set of Electrovoice plans.The 12S speakers sounded almost identical to the 12L's in a Mesa Thiele cab when I compared them. I also built an EVM-15L in a 15 inch Thiele cab from the same plans.

I pulled the 12S drivers from an open back Fender Silver Face cab that I originally bought to use with my '68 Bandmaster. The cab was in great condition. It looks like it was made in 1972. I got lucky with the Bandmaster. It was made in February of 1968. It is a factory AB763 (Black Face) made from parts meant for '67 Blackface amps.

The cab was smaller than a Bandmaster 2 x 12, which originally came with either Jensen or Oxford drivers and was closed back. So I bought plans for a Bandmaster cab and built one out of pine to spec. I mounted a pair of Jensen C12N drivers in it.

I was planning on building a pair of 1 x 12 cabs with Kemper drivers. Now, if the Kemper Kone Oxford voice nails that speaker, I will need to build a 2 x 12 cab with Kemper drivers as well.

I will instantly try a Kemper speaker in one of my cabs and compare the sound when it becomes available as a part. If the Kemper Kone nails my home built Thiele's sound, I will go with the Kemper speakers and make a 2 x 12 + 1 x 15 Thiele cab with the 12S and 15L speakers.

What is a 2 x 12 + 1 x 15 Thiele cab!?!?

It is two vertically stacked Thiele cabs with a slanted front on the top and a 1 x 15 Thiele cab under the two 12 inch cabs. So from top to bottom it looks like this:

12 inch Thiele cab slanted back by 16 to 24 degrees

12 inch Thiele straight cab

15 inch Thiele straight cab

All 3 speakers are 8 ohms. So I will do some creative wiring. I hope to set up the cab so I can go 2 x 12 mono and 1 x 15 mono in stereo. That would get me a 4 ohm load on the 2 x 12 cab and 16 ohm load on the 1 x 15.

I might also get another 8 ohm 15L so I can configure the cabs as a 2 x 12 + 2 x 15 standard cab. I will design two cab bodies, and use removable baffles so I can get the best of both worlds.

@G String, Is there any chance that OS6 will let the user use the S/PDIF ports as I/O for the X Slot? There are three reasons this would be a great upgrade.

1. If this was implemented, then maybe you could have a second X Slot in OS6 with which you could use analog pedals via the analog I/O.

2. I'd love to be able to connect my UA Apollo via S/PDIF so I could use it with my UAD effects without going through D/A and A/D conversion that is both unnecessary and redundant. I currently must use the analog I/O to use my Apollo with the X Slot.

By staying in the digital domain, overall round trip monitoring latency might be lower. Of course there's no way of testing this hypothesis unless the premise is implemented.

3. With digital I/O, audio quality will be higher.

BTW, I am getting this to use my pedals through my X Slot:

https://aisynthesis.com/ai-syn…-ai006-stomp-box-adapter/

I want to hear the electric to acoustic effect too. If it comes close, but is still an obvious simulation, I think the UAD platform's Sound Machine Woodworks plugin might get it all the way. It does a really nice job of making a piezzo sound really close to the sound of a mic on an acoustic guitar.

I'd put the acoustic sim in a stomp slot with my Apollo into the X slot running Woodworks.

Verdict

If you choose to buy either the T7V or smaller T5V monitors then I'm certain you will not be disappointed with your investment. Both these monitors have since been returned to ADAM Audio and I'm left missing them. My brother in law wants to get a set for his studio... and so do I! I have yet to choose between the T5V and T7V.

Part of that signature ADAM sound that I discussed earlier in this article makes an impression on you, especially when you hear a set of ADAMs for the first time. That's why I got into using ADAM Audio monitors ten years ago. You can't unhear quality.

So to answer the question laid out at the top of this article:

Are ADAM Audio's new T Series a cheap shot at entering the budget home studio market or the opposite… The studio monitor bargain of the century? Without a doubt, the studio monitor bargain of the century.

This is a quote from Production Expert. The full article can be found here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.c…-low-cost-studio-monitors

Note that the reviewer says, "I have yet to choose between the T5V and T7V."

I think there are two reasons for this statement. He is using the two models with his Sub 8. I am having a hard time deciding too. If I get the T10S sub, why bother spending the extra $100 for the T7v versus the T5v? The sub covers the low frequencies needed for both models. The amp, tweeter and cabinet design for both models are the same. On the other hand it is only $100 and I might feel like I am cheating myself in some way if I don't spend the money.

But there is one reason to go with the T5V. I am now thinking of going to a 5.1 monitor setup. 5 T5v are $250 less than 5 T7v. And the smaller height of the T5V cabinet is easier to integrate physically ina 5.1 setup with my room and desk.

I am upgrading from Event 20/20P monitors to Adam T7V ($498 retail for a pair) with the new T10S sub ($399 retail) when it becomes available (3rd quarter, according to Adam). The T10s frequency response is said to be 32 to 120 Hz. It has a 130 watt class D amp.

The T7V is getting rave reviews. Are the A5X's better monitors? Based on price they should be. I am sure they are. But is the difference worth the extra money?

Based on your use more as a back end for your Kemper, I'd think you would rather have the extended low end of the T7V/T10S combination. The extra octave in the low frequency range will also be needed if you want to use bass profiles.

I think MIDI learn is only an option for DAW plugins and not for stand-alone programs.

Then maybe Kemper can do what Spectrasonics is doing with Omnisphere. They are using 60+ hardware profiles of synths to control Omnisphere. I understand that there is a lot of sysex programming required for each profile. But Spectrasonics is working with other manufacturer's products and they've pulled it off.

Kemper only needs to create a 'profile' of the Kemper, the way that Spectrasonics has created one for over 60 synths.

If the Kemper Kab driver will sell for under $250, get some green tolex and build your own cab.

I plan on building a 2 x 12 with the Kemper / Celestion driver. It will be wired for stereo or mono. It will have 1/2 and 3/4 open back, as well as fully closed back. I might even build versions with 4 x 12 and 1 x 12. If I do that, I will get 4 speakers and mount each on removable baffles. That way I can reconfigure speaker complement based on the cab I need.

Of course, it does help that I own a cabinet shop.

I also play synths: lots of software synths and some hardware analog synths. I ALWAYS prefer working with the hardware synths, not only because of their analog sound, but mainly because I like the immediate interaction with the instrument. Turning the cutoff of the filter with my mouse just doesn't give me that feeling of connection with the instrument.

Check out Spectrasonics Omnisphere. It is an amazingly capable soft synth. As of version 2.6 it has hardware integration with over 60 synths. From modern synths like the Prophet X to analog classics like the Roland Juno 106, turn a know on the synth and Omnisphere's parameter changes to reflect the parameter change you just made.

Each of the 60+ synths have a profile that maps the hardware synth's knobs, buttons, etc. to the same parameter in Omnisphere.

Why not just make/save two different Profiles/ rigs one with a V30 and one with a G12T and hit a switch on the remote to change from one to the other?

Why any gigging guitarist would want/need to change from one speaker to another in the middle of a song is beyond me.

Great idea on the two profiles. I hadn't thought of that.

I sometimes like to switch cabs when going from lead to rhythm on some songs. Just my preference though.

Mixing imprints to one cone could be nice, but maybe it is not realistic or possible to implement.

(I mean blending..for example, 25% v30, 75% greenback)

I agree it is unlikely.

@G-String, could you possibly answer a few questions about the Kemper Kone technology, please? I realize that none of this preview is cast in stone, and I promise to be patient. So if you decline to answer, I will understand and wait for the beta release.

1. I notice that there is an imprint of a ten inch speaker in the video. That implies that there might be 8 inch or 15 inch speaker imprints in the future. I am not asking about specific speakers. But I wonder if there might be imprints released in the future that will be made specifically for bass guitar purposes. After all, the KPA does profile Bass amps.

2. Might there be a way that users could create there own imprints in the future? That would be amazing!

3. Might it be possible to make more than one Kemper Kone block available, sent separately to the right and left outputs? I am going to build a 2 x 12 cab with the Kemper/Celestion speaker once it becomes available as a part. With two Kone blocks, I could combine two different imprints in the cab.

If two Kone blocks were possible, all kinds of stereo configurations would be possible.

4. Even if the two Kone blocks will never be an option, I am thinking that I could use the 2 x 12 in stereo with an imprint connected to the left cab input from the Monitor out on the KPA, and connect a KPA main out with a different speaker created in a Merged profile to the right input on the 2 x 12 cab. Can you confirm that this will work, please.

5. Will it be possible to morph between two imprints? I am thinking of instantly switching between a V30 and a G12T, not gradually changing from one to the other. Of course a gradual morph between imprints might be fantastic. But I've already asked for the moon.

My Hamer Duotone has both electric and piezo output. I love the sound of the neck pickup run into my Polytone Minibrute with the piezo plugged into my Line 6 L2M. The combination is fantastic. So I do use both mag and piezo outputs at the same time.

I’d love to be able to run the piezo into my Fishman Aura connected to the Line input on the Kemper. And simultaneously use the mag pickups plugged into the Hi Z in on the Kemper.

As far as the acoustic sim effect is concerned, I plan on using it on each string output by my mag Cycfi hex pickup. Of course I am hoping the simulation will be as effective as I expect a Kemper product normally is.

Music that is fed into the Profiler through the Aux Input will also be played back in Full range Mode.

I want to try the Kemper Kone tech with my UA amp sims. So I will output at line level connect to my Radial X-Amp, then send that to the Kemper's guitar input.

I'm guessing it's not going to matter too much how accurate the speaker will be as a true frfr speaker, it's only intended to work with the 16 speaker sims on the Kemper which were created specifically for this speaker.

I respectfully disagree, based on what CK says in the video. The cab is designed for two different purposes.

1. As you say, to use the DSP to 'imprint' the 16 speakers.

2. To use the DSP to produce a FRFR response that can be used with profiled speakers.

See the video. CK specifically says that the DSP is used to better recreate FRFR with the cab. If the cab only worked with the 16 imprints, you would not be able to effectively use it with Studio profiles, or a Merged profile with a cab. Using an imprint and a profiled cab together doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I am going to build a 2 x 12 cab with two of the Kemper speakers once they are available.

Question:

Will it be possible to use the Kemper speaker with its imprints without a tone stack? I think this technology would be great as a speaker cab with an amp sim. I would love to be able to match my Universal Audio Unison amp sims with this new Kemper speaker technology.

I'd also love to have some bass speaker imprints available down the line.

I am going to make a purely speculative statement here.

The new cab will have the F12-200X Celestion driver. It is the only full range 'guitar' speaker that Celestion has in their lineup, so it makes sense to me.

If I am correct, it is likely possible that a DIY 2 x 12 or even a 4 x 12 cab with that driver will get the Kone effect to work exactly as expected in the 1 x 12 Kemper cab. ;)

cags12 said:

I really wish these cabs will be available in Active version too. I've been waiting for this Cab for ages and I would be sad to not being able to use it as I have an un-powered Toaster.

You can use the Kemper cabs with an external solid state power amp. I plan on using one (or possibly two) with my non powered rack.