Posts by karlic

Sorry to hear you struggle so much with the layout of the Kemper. What is it that takes you 2 hours to edit a rig, or is that partly making the decisions about the sound too?

I would not want to deny anyone an editor or better layout, but I never really struggled with this kind of thing except when preparing about 60 sounds for the live set. A way of copying fx quickly would have been very welcome then.

I found a lot of tips here about arranging the effects that you use often and keeping the patches well organised that keep things simple.

It probably appeals to players that like to tinker and edit. Kemper was my choice in the end because it is less about editing and more about playing. It is the best sound I ever had live and I value the relative simplicity.

It would be a lot easier to copy and paste between multiple rigs if the copy didn't disappear as soon as you make one paste. Am I missing something in the preferences that could make this happen?

Peterson was always too accurate for guitar and just made me nervous. Just press the fretted note a little and it goes wild. There's a good reason Boss, Snark and Korg sold a lot of tuners with the same simple style.

Maybe if the bubble was full black on the Kemper, it would be easier to see in a gig situation?

One thing that Kemper has done consistently that Fractal has failed horridly at is keeping a consistent platform such that any tone you had before an upgrade, will sound exactly the same after an upgrade.
    Personally, this is an extremely important feature for me which trumps pretty much everything else. I don't know about you guys, but I have TONS of hours of dialing in tones for different songs and sets that I rely on sounding the same after an upgrade.

I just can’t imagine starting again after crafting so many live patches over 18 months. It would have to be a revolutionary product to make me start again.

The two tuner modes are the only Kemper feature that frustrate me. I ended up getting a Snark clip on and wish that kind of tuner display was available onboard.

Probably a Kemper 2 with all the expectations people have here here would cost more than the current model, with R&D and production costs being higher. The traditional route of buying 2 amps (a second Kemper) to do the job would be a solution.

As V8 said, there is not much advantage in the studio and live it would debatable how much the average punter would notice through a PA in the mix.

I guess it depends on your exact needs, but I now find the Kemper my simplest rig and live solution. Going back to another rack or amp head would be a nightmare to setup.

Of course, there were months of deliberating and the nudging of settings will never end, but we are always in search of the perfect tone.

Getting monitoring right was the biggest thing for me. After not getting on with FRFR and then trying a Mesa cab with merged profiles, I eventually found that in ears with some in the wedge was the best for me. Of course each person finds the ideal setup, but playing confidence is totally connected to what you hear, so keep trying.

Your clip is hard to compare because it is louder, but certainly doesn't sound bad and is the same tone. It really comes down to playing style making the difference for me.

Many video demos will sound amazing because of the player and then you might be a bit disappointed you don't match up. But that would be the same with a real amp.

i always try to remember that complaints about Kemper are much like those that bands get. Social media and the internet in general do not represent the silent majority and seem like more than they are in reality.

This makes absolutely no sense, from any perspective. What exactly are you trying to say here?
    That Kemper only wants pretentious d-bags playing their equipment? Or that if someone is not at least playing at a Steak House, or a Buffet, on a Tuesday afternoon, they don't deserve to play a Kemper? Does one have to personally sell out an entire stadium, to even think about purchasing a Kemper?

Plenty of amazing players out there, who don't do it for the money, or the hey-look-at-me factor. If you can imagine such a thing.

The majority of hobbyists are more likely to be able to afford a Kemper than musicians relying on the industry for income these days.

you can buy an MRI machine,
    that doesn't exactly make it a consumer product

I'm sure some people "switch back", like with anything,
    but at the top levels of touring I'm seeing more and more guitarists switching to Kempers and Fractals.
    Especially for certain types of pop/rock big shows, the ability to have one guy's computer backstage locking all of the lights and video and guitar amp scene changes together is almost a requirement.

I never really thought of comparing medical equipment and guitar amps, but you are right. The number of top musicians using direct to PA is on the increase and engineers love it generally for the separation.

Thats a bit delusional, defending the shortfalls is kinda my point there....£1179...such a bargain. You forgot to factor in the expense of buying an audio interface to actually record it and buying a real amp to profile it. Learning how to build an editor from scratch....Wasted time is wasted money. This puts the final cost to tape way way higher than £1179.
    Mr Kemper just makes the consumer do all the leg work so he doesn't have to. The hardware is consumer and feature limited but the price is a premium and has the community expecting more.

I don't understand why you sound so bitter and I don't feel the need to defend anything? When I referred to the price, it was before the UK pound crashed in value, so I was pleased on my timing to buy it. I already have recording equipment and some amps I wanted to profile for live use. Coming from things like a Rocktron Prophesy, there was very little to expect after the purchase and it is still on v1.0 software.

I have my own list of things that would be great to have in the Kemper, but I wouldn't have bought one if I wasn't happy with the product as it stood on the day of purchase. I certainly have no problem if people get an editor and find it useful, but we all have our opinions.

I don't think anyone is a blind fanatic with their Kemper. An editor would have been very useful in the first 6 months I owned it, but now I probably wouldn't bother. The front panel was designed to make everything accessible and I am more than happy having bought mine for £1,179 before prices soared in the UK.

Sadly I fully agree with you on the plugin. As soon as code is on a computer it is vulnerable and it would diminish my feeling for the Kemper if anyone could download it for free.

I tend to think of the Kemper as an amplifier like any other though and they all need reamping.

The problem in saying "with respect" is the same as prefacing something with "no offence"; you know you are about to take a hammering:-)