Posts by Monkey_Man

Geez... why do you have to make it sound so complicated, Paul?

I mean, the poor fella's only a beginner; you could have made it easy for him. :D

Excellent, Zach. That's great man.

If it helps any, my ears get sore in half an hour but I don't care really. I gave up years ago trying to solve this, although I'm considering taping bent coat hanger wire to it to lessen the inward pressure. That should work, but not after I've spent years buying and fitting various alternative ear pads for no discernible effect... and a lot of money.

Sam's not only very good-looking... but he's right. Majorly-different is what you want. Reduces the number of locations / setups required for mix-checking. Apparently with enough experience one can get away with just one accurate set, something I'll be aiming for myself.

Still, if you'd love a set of NS10s you wouldn't be alone; I myself wanted a set for perhaps 25 years, but my Opals "grew me out" of the belief I needed them.

Ha ha... sorry mate.

Didn't mean to make you feel like there was a giant magnifying glass hovering over you; it's just my nature to want to understand people, and my passion for this sometimes means I don't know where to stop.

I'm guessing that when the sun starts setting the "victim's" hair on fire through the magnifying glass it's time to ease up.

Not true in my experience. I certainly wouldn't cut off all the sound below 100Hz on a guitar track, or even 70 for that matter! Plus I assume the monitors would carry a mix of Bass and Drums too.

I agree mwinter77. I wouldn't intentionally cut it all off for home use, especially without accompaniment. If I were sharing the frequency spectrum with drums, bass and a bunch of other stuff, I'd look at it differently 'though. Perhaps it's just the engineer in me that determines my approach.

I was simply saying that the linearity of the monitors is not critical in that range for guitar (for home use, remember), because most of the energy (for guitar) in that area is what I called hype. I could just as easily have called it "welly" or "weight", but either way, IMHO it's not something one should necessarily be looking for from a small set of monitors. A cabinet? Sure, but 5" monitors? I don't think so.

I only pointed out that in most mix situations not much is retained (if anything) below 100 Hz in order to help illustrate the point to Davy that IMHO he needn't lose any sleep over how flat the monitors he chooses are in that area. He'll still hear most of what's going on down to around 50Hz or even lower with some 5" sets, but the response will be bumpy down there - not linear and therefore not 100% true-to-life. Given that the 50-100Hz range is not the primary or even secondary focus of an amped guitar's bandwidth (typically, with rare exceptions), the fact that the response might not be linear is for the purpose of home use, inconsequential IMHO.

Cheers bud.

Monkey_Man... hey Nicky, how you doin' dude? Been a while (sorry, it's not usually "mate" here in the states LOL

Good thanks mate... I mean, dude. LOL Hope you're well too Gary.

I can relate. I grew up in S. Africa, and there mate meant something completely different... not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL

It actually took a while for me to get used to it here. Things have changed a little in that the vernacular is being lost due to apathy about retaining culture, social media and so on, but it used to be "G'day mate" all day long. Now folks tend to say "Hey" rather than G'day. Pity.

You're right, Skoz - Damian gets my money.

If it had been the thread which you linked to, which did involve one of our epicly-boring discussions, I'd have made money, 'cause my money was on you. Unfortunately you let me down, mate, but I'll continue to bet on you, brother, if only for your superb OCD-like approach to researching the forum... and stuff.

I'm the same, but not necessarily on this forum; just everywhere else in my life! Bloody Virgos. I aim for perfection knowing I'll never get there. Even when I look in the mirror to "fix" my appearance (another impossible aim), I walk away shaking my head, saying, "Bloody perfectionist Virgos". Seriously. I see myself from the outside, and it's an hilarious sight.

Well done Damian, and thank you for providing the link.

There's always a delay until I get to hear new profiles as I have to wait for my lil' brother "Fingers" to bring his LP over for profile auditioning.

As I said in another thread, he spent over 3 hours playing this profile tonight, and didn't want to try anything else as soon as we stumbled upon it after quickly racing through 5 others. He said he had 10 minutes to audition profiles. He played this for over three hours.

It's organic, full of vibe and mojo, absolutely exquisite in the mids, versatile and just plain awesome. We ran the gain at 1 LED below full, and preferred the sound of his guitar dialled back at this setting (for cleaner) to cranking the guitar at the lower, profiled-gain level and less. Most of the time 'though, he just went nuts at full tilt and I can tell you that it spurred his imagination and I never grew tired of the tone, not for a second. Those three hours flew by.

We set the tone stack to 12 o'clock with the exception of the bass at -0.5 and the mid at +0.5. This was all we did apart from cranking the gain to 1 LED below full. For his LP, this was as good as it gets. We even compared it with one of my fave (commercial) high-gain profiles and it ate it for breakfast. Everything else just seemed to lack mojo and come across flat-sounding.

In short, this, for Fingers and me, is hands-down the best profile we've heard. I cannot say enough about it, and neither can he. Unbelievable!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that even my allergy to phase cancellation was superbly catered for. Not even a hint of it. No harshness whatsoever. In a word: Stunning.

ANOTHER EDIT: David, congratulations. You're a genius, mate!

EDIT 7 MONTHS LATER: Been my default and only Rig in my Profiler since June.

Sure man .... And if and when the Kemper Sun shines... Not only will I publicly take back my diatribe but I'll spring for beer and pizza for the Kemper programming team .... Maybe my intentions and motives are greatly misunderstood . I do want Kemper to be the overall best piece of gear in its class. What I have seen is more effort being placed on the footcontroler and less excluding Pure Cab which is present in 3.02 Which I do appreciate but it seems for the most part the core of the product is being severly neglected. That being said .... You say 4.0 will be worth the wait so until the fat Kemper Lady has sung .
    Cheers

I hear you mate. It's all good, and I'll be first in line for the beer & pizza, although the pizza'll probably be a tad funky by the time it reaches me in Oz. LOL

For the record, I didn't say that 4.0 will be worth the wait. I said that the value-adding that the Team™ is rolling out in terms of software and functionality will prove worthwhile / worth the wait / great value in the fullness of time. I'm not foolish enough to try to predict specific benefits at specific time / FW-version points, but I've seen enough of the company to know that it'll accomplish what it set out to do overall / in the big picture, and yes, in the fullness of time (the phrase I actually used).

So, yes, I propose that patience will reward you in this regard, and that negative expectations will prove largely fruitless in that almost all will become redundant.

Thanks for the discussion mate. Sometimes it takes a skeptical take on the unit to remind us of just how awesome it actually is.

Interestingly, my lil' brother "Fingers" just left after having spent over 3 hours playing a single profile. This was the one for him; it single-handedly skewed his perspective from being one of wanting to own a Kemper one day to one of crunching numbers in his head. The mojo, organicness, liveliness and versatility of this free profile posted just this week had him believing he was playing the 59RR Plexi for real. At more than twice the price of a Kemper, the penny finally dropped - a single free profile could save him thousands. We laughed as he left after midnight, declaring that the night belonged to Kemper. He'd warned me that he only had 10 minutes to audition profiles from the folder of new ones from the exchange that I keep for him. We auditioned 5 in 5 minutes and then stumbled upon the RR one. Game over. Mr. My JVM Will Always Be My Rig TubeHead™ had a genuine epiphany.

I say this 'cause offering this experience would have been the ultimate goal of the Kemper since its inception. The effects are merely icing on the cake. The amps are where it's at. You know this. He knows this, and Christoph certainly knows this.

Hang in there. I truly believe you won't be let down in the long run. Cheers mate.

Yes Monday and Fridays are 12 vs 13, so next Monday (29/02/2016) is good candidate to equal Fridays. Then we would have:

Mondays 13
    Tuesdays+Wendesdays 13
    Fridays13

[Blocked Image: http://s14.postimg.org/bcvvs34jl/kemper_fw.jpg]

LOL

Part 2

That's all... Don't promise a world you can't deliver on.

Lucky for Kemper then that the company has delivered in spades. It's a whole new world... for most of us.

We all own a very expensive cloning Pre-amp that does that one thing wonderfully and should be grateful for any other improvements If they ever come to pass...

... which they do and will continue to do so.

I guess I just have to get used to settling for less.

Been there for 20 years. Bye bye, Line 6. I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open, modelled arms were you to grace their bank accounts with your presence. Be prepared to pay for additional amp models to enhance the paltry number on offer 'though...

Best regards...

Same to you, mate. I hope you can see that I mean no harm here... or ever. I was just initially shocked at how negative your attitude towards the company as well as your unit was.

I've therefore attempted to respond, since you re-entered the fray and lessened the probability that you''re a troll with some conciliatory statements, which I and others would've appreciated, but the way, in the only logical, good-natured way I believe to be appropriate - to hopefully "guide" you back to a space where you're able to enjoy a new-found appreciation for the beast you've plunked your hard-earned dosh down on.

One minor thing however...

If all the firmware after 3.02 has been plagued with unpredictable anomalies that seem hard to re-create or find a viable solution for...

What makes you believe for one second that 4.0 if we see it in any of our lifetimes is not going to carry with it more of the same unpredicable things that has paralyzed any meaning progress...

Considering the number of units in use out there, along with the fact that most who experience glitches (and get them quickly sorted out) post their experiences in the forum, one can only conclude that your use of terms like "plagued" and "paralysed" is seriously over the top.

Once again: Reassess. Is that glass half-empty? In fact, it's damned-near full. You're starting from an ill-determined base that assumes it's either half-full or half-empty.

I too like everyone else in this forum purchased the KPA for the same reason. The Preamp!

Undeniably one of the best in the planet.

Incorrect. It's the best digital one out there, and has been for four years.

But there are others playing in the same sandbox that provide a good tone and feel as well.

Well, there's "good" and there's... the best. Which do you want?

Instead of beating down on me for pointing the obvious ... Why not offer an insight into what is comming and where the team is at achieving the goals.

Firstly, you're not pointing out the obvious; you've been making hyperbolic, sweeping generalisations which have been firmly rooted in negativity. Chin up, brother!

Secondly, this insight you seek is information only insiders could possibly know. Who are you, or who is any of us for that matter, to demand access to Kemper's road map or progress reports on how the Team™ is faring? Fairdinkum mate, I'm at a loss for words as to how to properly address this request of yours, so I'll fall back on today's ol' faithful: Reassess... and in this case, reassess again.

Anyway I really dont expect any great revelations from Kemper anytime soon.

I have no doubt. That, my friend, is the essence of the bone of contention you're experiencing with us, and why we're persisting with answering you. If I may speak for most of us: We're having difficulty understanding the negative outlook, both retrospectively and speculatively, that you've expounded regarding the product and the company. If it were not so exquisitely the antithesis of what we've come to believe and expect, you'd have been "left well-alone". I'm guessing you can see this.

Yes I will continue to use the KPA for the preamp and most likely get something for effects... Just hoped Kemper would have stepped up their game or at the very least made some meaningful upgrade releases.

Once again: Re-examine. Try Pure Cab™.

You say, "... stepped up their game". Interesting. Was it that bad that it needed "stepping up"? If the success brought about by the toaster and rack is a product of playing a sub-par game, I'd like to see what happens to its world's-best products when the company gets its shit together and plays to win...

But they are "Free" after all....

You got what you paid for.... Be grateful the all might Kemper allowed you to purchase such awesomeness!

Agreed, and I think most of us are; it's you we're worried about! LOL (Just ribbin' ya).

I bought the Kemper for the Awesome tone!!

... and you got it, brother!

Who cares if it has subpar effects and it crashes every now and then and does inexplcable things when you least expect it to and loses high end , locks up .....

Easy answer: All of us would... were that the case.

3.02 is as good as the KPA will ever be and it will be years until they work the bugs out of a remote they should have never done. As a result nothing will move forward. It wont be until they release a second generation design that any other advancements will be realized.

Every single one of those hyperbolic, worst-case-scenario speculations is without question over the top.

You will be proved wrong on all counts. Why not save yourself the indignity and try to enjoy what you have, as others and I have suggested? It's great already, it will continue to improve, and for practically all of us, considering that it's starting from a base of being the world's best, this is truly a Godsend and more than we'd have reasonably expected.

Bottom Line: We're pleasantly-surprised, whereas you're disappointingly-underwhelmed.

The Cure: I think you know my prescription by now - reassess. Try Pure Cab™... and chillax, brother!

There is hope, man. Seriously.

So you can all trash me ...

You've got guts. I respect that man. This is why I chose to take a step-by-step, measured and non-derisive approach to addressing your concerns this time.

Hang in there. It should be worth it. The glass is near-brimming!