Posts by Monkey_Man

Part 2

That's all... Don't promise a world you can't deliver on.

Lucky for Kemper then that the company has delivered in spades. It's a whole new world... for most of us.

We all own a very expensive cloning Pre-amp that does that one thing wonderfully and should be grateful for any other improvements If they ever come to pass...

... which they do and will continue to do so.

I guess I just have to get used to settling for less.

Been there for 20 years. Bye bye, Line 6. I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open, modelled arms were you to grace their bank accounts with your presence. Be prepared to pay for additional amp models to enhance the paltry number on offer 'though...

Best regards...

Same to you, mate. I hope you can see that I mean no harm here... or ever. I was just initially shocked at how negative your attitude towards the company as well as your unit was.

I've therefore attempted to respond, since you re-entered the fray and lessened the probability that you''re a troll with some conciliatory statements, which I and others would've appreciated, but the way, in the only logical, good-natured way I believe to be appropriate - to hopefully "guide" you back to a space where you're able to enjoy a new-found appreciation for the beast you've plunked your hard-earned dosh down on.

One minor thing however...

If all the firmware after 3.02 has been plagued with unpredictable anomalies that seem hard to re-create or find a viable solution for...

What makes you believe for one second that 4.0 if we see it in any of our lifetimes is not going to carry with it more of the same unpredicable things that has paralyzed any meaning progress...

Considering the number of units in use out there, along with the fact that most who experience glitches (and get them quickly sorted out) post their experiences in the forum, one can only conclude that your use of terms like "plagued" and "paralysed" is seriously over the top.

Once again: Reassess. Is that glass half-empty? In fact, it's damned-near full. You're starting from an ill-determined base that assumes it's either half-full or half-empty.

I too like everyone else in this forum purchased the KPA for the same reason. The Preamp!

Undeniably one of the best in the planet.

Incorrect. It's the best digital one out there, and has been for four years.

But there are others playing in the same sandbox that provide a good tone and feel as well.

Well, there's "good" and there's... the best. Which do you want?

Instead of beating down on me for pointing the obvious ... Why not offer an insight into what is comming and where the team is at achieving the goals.

Firstly, you're not pointing out the obvious; you've been making hyperbolic, sweeping generalisations which have been firmly rooted in negativity. Chin up, brother!

Secondly, this insight you seek is information only insiders could possibly know. Who are you, or who is any of us for that matter, to demand access to Kemper's road map or progress reports on how the Team™ is faring? Fairdinkum mate, I'm at a loss for words as to how to properly address this request of yours, so I'll fall back on today's ol' faithful: Reassess... and in this case, reassess again.

Anyway I really dont expect any great revelations from Kemper anytime soon.

I have no doubt. That, my friend, is the essence of the bone of contention you're experiencing with us, and why we're persisting with answering you. If I may speak for most of us: We're having difficulty understanding the negative outlook, both retrospectively and speculatively, that you've expounded regarding the product and the company. If it were not so exquisitely the antithesis of what we've come to believe and expect, you'd have been "left well-alone". I'm guessing you can see this.

Yes I will continue to use the KPA for the preamp and most likely get something for effects... Just hoped Kemper would have stepped up their game or at the very least made some meaningful upgrade releases.

Once again: Re-examine. Try Pure Cab™.

You say, "... stepped up their game". Interesting. Was it that bad that it needed "stepping up"? If the success brought about by the toaster and rack is a product of playing a sub-par game, I'd like to see what happens to its world's-best products when the company gets its shit together and plays to win...

But they are "Free" after all....

You got what you paid for.... Be grateful the all might Kemper allowed you to purchase such awesomeness!

Agreed, and I think most of us are; it's you we're worried about! LOL (Just ribbin' ya).

I bought the Kemper for the Awesome tone!!

... and you got it, brother!

Who cares if it has subpar effects and it crashes every now and then and does inexplcable things when you least expect it to and loses high end , locks up .....

Easy answer: All of us would... were that the case.

3.02 is as good as the KPA will ever be and it will be years until they work the bugs out of a remote they should have never done. As a result nothing will move forward. It wont be until they release a second generation design that any other advancements will be realized.

Every single one of those hyperbolic, worst-case-scenario speculations is without question over the top.

You will be proved wrong on all counts. Why not save yourself the indignity and try to enjoy what you have, as others and I have suggested? It's great already, it will continue to improve, and for practically all of us, considering that it's starting from a base of being the world's best, this is truly a Godsend and more than we'd have reasonably expected.

Bottom Line: We're pleasantly-surprised, whereas you're disappointingly-underwhelmed.

The Cure: I think you know my prescription by now - reassess. Try Pure Cab™... and chillax, brother!

There is hope, man. Seriously.

So you can all trash me ...

You've got guts. I respect that man. This is why I chose to take a step-by-step, measured and non-derisive approach to addressing your concerns this time.

Hang in there. It should be worth it. The glass is near-brimming!

Well, it turns out my post was too long! Board said it had to be less than 10 000 characters, so I've split it into two parts.

Part 1

... Yes may be I could have stated my case more elegantly.

Understatement of the year so far IMHO.

There hasn't been a major step forward since 3.02.

You're right. Pure Cab™ is useless. That's why most of us use and love it.

I am not a troll.

... but you act like one. If it walks / talks / smells / acts like an X, it is an X. You're familiar with the saying?

A small but pertinent example:

Could it be my fellow Kemperians that the hardware lacks the memory and processing power to meet the challenge?

The only folk who've specifically attempted to call into question the Kemper's processing power here in this forum, and elsewhere for that matter, have been FAS fanbois. This statement alone adds weight to the second of the two personages I proposed you might embody: A plant, specifically a FAS one.

In case you hadn't noticed, the processing power has been sufficient to handle 4 years' worth of FW updates which included additional EQs and Pure Cab™ amongst other things. If the CPU was already being squeezed these things would not have been possible to implement safely (stability wise), or even at all. Add to the four-years' worth of updates the more than 10 new delays we're going to get... and then there's morphing, which'll allow smooth interpolation between two sets of parameters, the number of which is limited only by the range available on the unit.

I hope you're able to see the futility and inaccuracy of your claim; FAS fanbois typically can't, trolls can't, but can you? If you love the amp-profile/ing aspect of the unit, perhaps there's room for a little appreciation of all the sauce that keeps being laid on, free of charge, by the Gods of Kemper™?

Yeah, I know, I sound like a fanboi myself, but you know what? I don't see myself as one even 'though I often joke about it. Rather, I believe I'm quite simply a call-it-like-it-is, fair-minded, appreciative customer who's been blown away both by the capabilities of this thing as well as the fact that I've been lucky enough to own one. You might well call me an Appreciboi, and I think that'd be fair, although nobody'd understand what the Hell you were talking about. LOL

What I'm attempting to do here, in effect (pun intended), is encourage you to reassess your position. I believe you made an uber-wise choice to buy one, and that your decision will continue to be rewarded in the fullness of time. While you endure the "excruciating" wait for the (in your case) much-needed 4.0 FW update, why not upgrade to 3.1.4 or later and marvel at the possibilities that Pure Cab™ offers? In my case it made countless previously-too-phasey-and-suffocated-sounding rigs eminently usable; there's bound to be something in it for you. If you're not motivated to do the update, I believe the feature was available in Artist Mode™ on your 3.0.2 FW.

I am a KPA owner that expected Kemper to live up to their claims.

How about an example of where the company didn't? Even if you can find one, I'll bet examples of such a nature are smothered out of all relevance by the weight of worthwhile features, both requested and otherwise, that have constituted worthwhile value-adding from the user's, and I suspect the company's points of view.

The problem is that in all other areas the Axe and the Helix excell. I would like Kemper to surpass them!

100% agree with you here, Sarge.

damn, that was not my intention. I'm doubling apologies.
    I am going to read the whole urban dictionnary before i come back trying speaking as if I were a fluent Brit. Note I'd love to be fluent Brit guitar playin' as well.

again, all apologies
    peace

Ha! No need to double 'em, mate, but I feel where you're coming from: The first time, you thought, "Gee, maybe that's not appropriate in this forum", and then after reading my post you re-evaluated the, well, value and tone of the word, no?

Oh, and I'd love to be able to play like a Brit too... any damned Brit! LOL

Thank you so much for taking this time to explain to me, Maestro!

I was going to suggest that IMHO it couldn't do any harm to upload to PooToob too. I mean, once a video is made, that's all the hard work done, right?

Then Sam beat me to it:

I love watching and hearing you play Guido, so I bear with it, but parallel uploads to YouTube would also be lovely... ;)

Indeed!

... and I don't need to tell you how much I love watching and listening to your vids, Maestro, do I? LOL

Thanks and yes, done :) I just assumed small monitors would mean the same to everyone.

Ha! My pleasure mate. Now I know what it feels like to be a mod; every post since has been right on target, which is great.

Having said that, as SpottyDog is happy without using his sub most of the time, maybe my worry that there won't be enough bottom end with a 5" cone is unfounded.

Seriously mate, you don't need much action below 100Hz for guitar; it's just hype in that area, and not something you'd retain in a mix.

If your monitors are reasonably accurate down to 70Hz or even less, as many 5" jobs are, you should be more than happy.

IMHO, this means that the determining factors for you would likely come down to tonal colour (naturalness), power and punch.

Great thread, Davy; it's helping others too.

Hey no worries, Webb.

A thought: As much as you like the '80s, I guarantee you that you won't miss 'em for the Opals; the accuracy and naturalness is there of course, but there's also mojo and excitement whilst mixing, which I'm guessing is partly why you want to hang on to the '80s.

With this in mind, you might be easier-able to stretch that budget if you let go of 'em.

Don't get me wrong - I'd like to replace my 17+ year-old Alesis 720DSPs (home stereo) with a pair of '80s; it's just a matter of time and budget, but of course in an ideal world, IMHO, a set of Opals as a home stereo would provide more punch and excitement than I could handle!

Yeah, same here.

I had my heart set on the A7s for quite some time before I decided to go the whole hog and save for the Opals. Took 6 or 7 years(!), but was worth every penny.

Maybe A7s would be perfect for Webb, depending on whether or not they'd be an upgrade from whatever he's running.

Pamplemousse, I really appreciate the fact that you apologised so quickly. Thank you mate.

It's an ugly word IMHO - harsh-sounding and has a bad vibe about it. Perhaps, because you're not a native-English speaker, it doesn't sound this way to you, or at the very least not as bad to your ears.

At any rate, as I said, thank you.

How do I do this? Just walk through the steps in the System menu? I'll try that tonight. But it doesn't bode well if people need to do this on a brand new, factory sealed unit.

Redundant to answer this now (See below), but I wanted you to know I did hear you, OhG.

Just to not create confusion, that's properly a Rig Reset. You perform a System Reset by holding the System button.

Headphones getting no love around here. What up with that?!! :)

My first play through with my Kemper was with Beyer DT770's. Sounded bloody fantastic. Some of the factory rigs weren't my cup of tea, but I found several "keepers" that I still use regularly. The commercial Britt profiles just sweetened the deal.

Frankly, that damn Kemper sounds good every set of headphones I own, including the free iPhone ear buds.

Same here. $600 Sennies, 30-year-old $20 Sennies, and even... BarfRingers.

In fact, with my HD25-1 set I hear the best damned amp tones I've ever heard. That'd be the polar opposite of a Boss Metal Zone™ pedal.