Posts by Nikos

Antipodes

Van Halen & Ingwie happened..

Everyone wanted to sound like them for many many years and styles like Jazz and even blues were "out" for many years until the mid 90s when they came back very slowly but steadily.

Just right now for the very few last years you see all these holdsworth/jazz/fusion influenced kids coming up.

We have right now a lots if young talented kids experimenting and trying new things like never before. They will not stop before they have tried everything new technology offers. That's for sure.

I have to confess that I don't get the desire for "guitar synth" capabilities, to be honest.

Get a synth (and a keyboarder) and you'll get better (and more versatile) results.

Absolutely. 100% agree..

But here is "the thing"..

What about bringing all this to the rehearsal and ofcourse live on stage; I don't need keyboard players in my projects. I need more "different sounds" (mostly lead stuff) for myself.

If I can't get that I will never ever buy another guitar modeler. My KPAs are already great for my "guitar-needs" as they are. No complaints

It is just before I spend the next 2000-3000€ on a kpa2 or whatever future(!) modeler I expect to be able to do "sounds I never did before" in a stand alone tool for recording & gigging.

And I KNOW that there are a lot of folks out there who would wish for something like that.

Not as many as the ones who just want more effects and dual amp cab profiles.

I am not 100% sure about this. In any case I will agree that there are many players who will never get enough of tweaking and trying to "sound better" through the "more fx" thing but I never had the feeling that these guys are a "majority" to be honest.

Also I dont see any problem in producing such a "KPA XXL".. should be not difficult.

But this should not stop R&D for something more revolutionary.

Creating an algorithm that didn't require a proprietary pickup would be an off-the-charts achievement. Marrying magnetic pickup technology originally invented in the 1930's to a technology born 53 years later (1983)......Nutso.

If someone has done it already, I've never heard of it. There are guitar synth units of course, but they convert the electric signal into the synth sound. You can't connect it to your computer and use a synth plugin with as you can with a keyboard.

We know that. But for sure there are "many ways" to achieve something. We'll see. For sure "some people" are working on solutions for this issue and I remember a musician called Dweezil Zappa demoing a 100% violin sound on an axefx.This was years ago.

I think the synthesizer idea is a good point, if Kemper implements an innovative and unique approach to most things then a fully comprehensive and in depth synthesizer addition would be a great way to lead in. Especially if there's someway to get super solid pitch tracking without using a midi pickup.

Yeah exactly.

If we talk about being "innovative" and all the "next step" stuff there is no way around this.

This is a joke, right? Looking at this company approach to products' longevity - if they release KPA XXL with dual/triple amps, more FX and "whatever", they become Kraktal :D

And I have strong feeling that KPA2 is not in the works. What doesn't mean that I am against it and I don't want these guys who wish it, for their dreams to become true. What means that both your and my opinion doesn't matter a smallest bit.

I wouldn't buy it. As I also didn't buy the stage.

But there are a lot of folks who would.

So indeed..your and mine opinion are appreciated..but that's it..

I have the strong feeling the KPA 2 is in the works. Or at least they are already finished the R&D phase.

But I also could imagine that in the mean while they will soon offer a KPA XXL with dual/triple etc amps/more fx/more I/Os and whatever..

Maybe they will also do a smaller version of the stage like the fm3/stomp;

And again..as for the KPA 2 I could imagine that it will be some kind of hybrid guitar/synth modeler.

There are a lot of good ideas and I bet CK has a lots of them.

What about great sound,ease of use,reliability,availability,huge user community,superb service and all that stuff;

Most working musicians I know want all these things first and are veeeery bad beta testers if they don't get paid for it..

The kpa2 will come and it will be great.Patience.

Sorry….I’ve tried to read this at least 20 times and made a google translation as well. I don’t understand this sentence ?. Can you elaborate? Do you mean some kinda limits that young guitar players today does not accept, should be torn down? Or? I can’t get it to make sense.

But I also believe that a second version will appear one day. But, I, on the other hand, believe that striving for perfection should be what drives this ship forward. I’ve been onboard this digital ship for over 20 years now. Had my first digital pedalboard, Boss GT-6 in 2001. If they’d stopped there by saying, that there’s no need to go forward from here, we’d be left with that old stuff. In 20 years from now we’ll be in the same spot as today looking back. So imho this cannot stop and we need to keep pushing the boundaries to strive for just a little better solution every time. And in the end that will take us a long way. Of course….if people have romantic thoughts about olden times, then you’ll disagree. So yes….the gear world need the next more realistic thing.

I was trying to say that I don't know many people who are looking for another modeler with the next 10000x profiles/models of 5150 & RECTIFIER or Marshall DSL amps.

There will be a Kemper 2 and I am quite sure it will come much sooner than we think.

But for sure the world does not need another "more real" and "more fx and fancy UI" kind of thing.

What we need in 2022 (and beyond) is gear that can deliver new ways of wrecking down all the limits young musicians will not accept anymore in the future. And this is certainly true for the electric guitar.

Tube warm up sim..like artificially sounding a little harsh in the first 30 minutes or so and than going "ahh..."

And let's not forget these very subtle "clicks" & "pings" of heating metal & tube glass of everything in the amp you have in these intimate minutes alone in the rehearsal studio ..just you and the tube rig on stand by warming up while I am changing strings..

What else?

Other than that I am fine..oh..a kemper2 would be great at some point in time.

I had a very interesting moment of truth yesterday.

After months of only playing the Kemper (during the lockdown and beyond) mainly using my fav clean/crunch/mid gain profiles I had a "disgust" for everything high gain. I said to myself this is ofcourse because of "digital" and monitors and headphones and no "loud tube rig in the room" and that I finaly after years of using the profiler reached the point of "hearing the difference through these high gain sounds"..

Than yesterday I plugged into my beloved high gain tube rigs (rec rev F and steavens poundcake)...and had the exactly same problem.Harsh,piercing highs,mushy mids and lows I cant stand (anymore) .

Truth is that modeler technology indeed is on par now with tube rigs. If something today with good modelers is "harsh" or "muddy" or "undefined" it is not the modeler.

Yes things in music will mix and interact like never before. Instruments will have to adjust to these developments.

More so since in the future everyone will be his own "producer" and no one will tell anyone "you can't do this..no company will sign you"..

This is a thing of the past.

Kids interested in making music will fall into a big space with no safety net. They will be able to do everything and they will..

The sound of the electric guitar was "new" and revolutionary in the 50s-70s but even in the 80s things began to glide into "cliche area" and grunge had no problem to blow it (this whole cliche) away overnight..and I mean overnight and many folks in my age will agree on this.

Ofcourse grunge went away even faster. "Techno"/electronic/gangsta after all that had an big impact on how kids perceive and want their sound today. A big part of "modern electric guitar sound" went down to the bass kind of things and this development ofcourse will not stop. More "blends" like this will happen. Everything will be possible.

New technologies will give young musicians new capabilities and the industry is much to slow reacting to this development. To their own demise if they dont react (much) faster than let's say the major record companies in the end of the 90s.

Things will go naturally into a "blend" of many many sounds from guitar to bass to synth and there will be no limits,no bitterly defended "styles" of music.. things will "sound good" or the kids will just be not interested.

Seeing that many kids (not only the kids of musicians) have no problem today to sit down and learn and put big chunks of jazz into their playing (with all the new learning possibilities of the internet) shows that they will also have no problem at all to combine any kind of sound as they fit their needs of expressions.

There is absolutely no doubt about that.

The next big thing in guitar modeling will be something which is not solely a guitar modeler at all..

Such a nice way to tell ourselves we are getting old (it is true tho), jajaja

Most folks nowadays do even rock music with samples and vst drums, so I wonder if in the future, with MPE enabled instruments and the sort, would it be a matter of just having a instrument, your computer, interface and a TON of samples for doing just about anything. I mean, I get pretty convincing strings from most sample tracks I have tried, use vibrato with aftertouch in the pads or the keys of my novation sl mk3, and that was unheard of in the past.

Exactly.

As for my post above,I was thinking out loud.You said it much better what I tried to say.

The future guitar modeler at some point in time will just become a modeler.

Or as they say in my parents village:Everything changes but still remains the same.

Rock music was still (as I call it) "tribal music" while during the last 20 years or so we went through a more "urban sounds" kind of thing.

I really dont know how music and guitar will develop but for sure the kids will not limit themselves to just one sound or one genre. They will compose & play instruments/using tools for music far beyond what we old farts used to call "multitasking" with all their new possibilities at their hands and they will not show any kind of remorse to one dimensional tools which do not sound good and are too limited. The kids right now are already completely "data fusion" on a level I just scratch my head..