Posts by Dudemanbrother

SPDIF is a stereo connection in the digital realm. RCA is a mono connection in the analog realm. As others have said: it is a 75 ohm Digital coax. Pro Co makes a very nice cable as well as Mogami. Livewire makes an “elite“ cable that’s a fraction of the price, as well as Monoprice.

Multi scale 6 strings definitely serve a purpose: if you like to downtune, or really like the tone of light strings while retaining a good amount of tension. I have a few Strandbergs that are multi scale from 25”-25.5” so it’s like a PRS high end with a Fender low end. Not extreme at all, but when I found myself in between string sets on my PRS, then the Strandberg instantly addressed that issue.

My main gig is death metal, and we tune down a step to D standard, and I like a good amount of tension, so my preferred multi scale length is 25.5”-26.5”. I have a Kiesel Aries with this scale and it’s great in D standard, or tuned up to E standard if I swap strings to .009-.042. I also have a Padalka Neptune in this scale length, which is my main guitar, as lightweight headless guitars are tough to beat for gigging.

My other guitarist plays a Kiesel Zeus, and actually ordered an Ormsby Goliath that should be here any day. I’ll be doing a setup on it once it arrives so I’ll have a much better opinion of the fan once I get it. I know the Ormsby has a quite aggressive fan, which is great for really low tuning, or if you want to try something like a .038 low E string. So if you find yourself wanting more tension on the low end, but smooth, easy bending strings for solos: then multi scale is certainly something to consider.

I’m not exactly sure what to call it; but I’d love to have the ability to hold (and this could be any button) the EDIT button while using the rotary dial for dialing in a value: to slow down how quickly it moves through the value.

If I wanted a High Cut at exactly 7,250hz then I could scroll like normal to get into the 7k range; but then press and hold EDIT while scrolling to fine select the desired frequency.

There is no standard to which equipment receives a signal. If the board being used typically connects a microphone to pickup the guitar sound: the typical mic is around -30dB. Maybe set your Main Out to -18dB, and when you play that venue, you can select the “-12dB” soft button to further reduce your signal to -30dB that a typical mic would send.

I find with high gain profiles: lowering the gain in moderation doesn’t really effect the overall gain, it effects the overall saturation and “looseness” of a particular tone. If I’m happy with a profile, I almost always reduce the gain a little. It seems to tighten it up in a very pleasant way.

Use both. Keep the 44/GT75 combo from Monitor Out, and use the HS8 from the Main Out. Select the “monitor cab off” soft button and enjoy.

No matter what speakers you have, they will impart their color on your tone. You can replace one with a V30 (I’d recommend the Mesa version) as that’s a great speaker combo; but then everything will sound it’s played thru a GT75/V30.

At least with the combo of outputs, you can have the profiles original intended sound, plus the amp in the room feel of a power amp and cab.

I use the same profiles as I do humbuckers and traditional sized single coils. The output difference usually reduces the gain and “opens up” harmonically, which is exactly what I want when I grab my P90 LP.

So Top Jimi, MBritt, and factory profiles for clean, low-mid Gain sounds. Guido, Sinmix, ToneCrate, my own profiles for high gain.

Maybe dumb; but have you double checked that your cable is in the Input and not Headphone Jack?

Edit: I see you’re getting full signal from the Direct Out, so that answers that question. I’d be looking in the Output menu to see if you accidentally altered the settings. Otherwise a reset seems in order.

You definitely don’t want to run the speaker out into the fx return. Monitor Out would be okay, but some of Mesa’s parallel effects loops get strange oscillations and other noises. You can mod it to be in series, which solves that issue in most cases.

Your best bet is to unplug the speaker jack from the Mesa, and plug it into the speaker out of the Kemper. You might need to buy/make a 1/4” extension cable, but then you’re just using the speakers and not the Mesa.

I think most tube amps maintain a very nice value over the years. I would only sell my amps if I was financially strapped. I still will occasionally bring out the Uberschall or Ultra Lead or something for fun, but the vast majority of the time I use my Kemper. Just the ease of a built in tuner is enough to pursuade me on most nights haha.

You captured Terence's vibe and tonality extremely-well IMHO, DMB.

Your voice is obviously in the same range. I tried to sing along but it was too-high, so I went down an octave and it sounded like ass. :/

Thanks for the kind words. His voice definitely sits in a comfortable range for me. I had a lot of fun doing this track. It was so different from my typical choices, but then again, since I started this whole recording adventure, they’ve all been quite different haha

https://instaud.io/2RXl

Took a stab at Terence Trent D’Arby’s song from the 80’s and decided to work in the MJ classic as the beat felt similar enough to work out a quick modulation. I didn’t learn all the synth parts; there is a lot going on in these songs, so I just stripped them down to the more essential melody lines, and took a lot of liberty with the whole thing.

+1!!!! Yes bring an Eq for better fine- sculpting the cab section!!!

(Also because the eq would be indipendent from the real cabinet on the monitor out and it would not affect this portion of the sound!)

Exactly! I might really like the sound coming from my guitar cab, but the PA is too bright, or boomy, or (ad infinitum). Having a few quality EQ options for the profile is awesome; but just as important is in the Cab section. I’ve read from multiple sources that the Cabinet Impulse is shorter on a .kpir than a traditional Impulse Response; so having detailed control is paramount. Uploading IR’s just don’t seem to translate correctly.

Cool, man! I have to say that I really love the mix of the middle section - I think it's perfect! The 1st and 3rd I feel like the vox are a bit loud and dry (maybe a touch of reverb/delay/EQ )? Don't get me wrong, I dig your vocal style but I'd like to hear more oomph from the bass in those sections and edit the kick n' snare tone, (slightly?) as I feel the snare is lost under the double-kick although maybe that would be fixed with level adjustments in the process. Guitars are sitting pretty, nice tone! :)

That pretty much sums up everything I think about the mix as well haha. I also want to spend a little more time with some of the drum parts themselves, but kick seems a little too powerful, snare is too far back, and vocals are too upfront. Thanks for the feedback and listening!

The EQ section is not even close to the EQ of a real tube amp.

There's a lot of room for improvement and I am hoping for a firmware that addresses this. Maybe something like in Bias where you can choose from a bunch of common tone stacks, because I know that profiling the actual EQ is tricky if not impossible.

The Kemper isn’t a modeler though. It just profiles what the amp sounds like at particular settings in a particular environment (pretty darn accurately.) I think people often lump it into the modeling group; but it’s in a league of its own. I usually do most of my shaping with EQ’s in stomp and X slots. None of the adjustments I make are specific to the amp I profile. For example: I don’t shut off the graphic eq on my VHT Ultra Lead, profile like that; place the eq in the X slot, and expect it sound like the amp would’ve if I’d profiled with the GEQ on to begin with. I just make the amp sound like I want, profile, and adjust it until I get what I want (regardless of what the settings look like)